CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Vacuum Sealing of a Ceramic Muffle at the Ends in a 1100'C Furnace   Next in Forum: Remote SIP Phone on FreePBX Asterisk
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Participant

Project - Better Aftermarket Parking Sensors

03/23/2015 5:17 PM

Not everyone is a perfect parker. There is a clear problem with parking and maneuvering vehicles because people tend to hit something or someone causing damage to their vehicle. Ignoring brand new car tech, current aftermarket solutions involve sensors that face directly backwards and forwards. This helps in distance parking but fails to protect bumper corners. Corners are blind spots themselves. Would a six sensor system, one sensor on each corner and front and back of the vehicle, better protect in parking situations? The idea is to have a cheap protection system that lets out a small beep when an object is detected to be too close. Thanks for all feedback on this project.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: parking parking sensors
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: Project- better aftermarket parking sensors

03/23/2015 5:23 PM
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265

03/23/2015 5:28 PM

"There is a clear problem with parking and maneuvering vehicles because people tend to hit something or someone causing damage to their vehicle." What?

"The idea is to have a cheap protection system that lets out a small beep when an object is detected to be too close." How about the Mk II Eyeball? How about a mother-in-law, know to tend to let out small beeps (well, beeps of one size or another) when an object is too close.

There doesn't need to be an app for everything, technology is not a panacea.

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #2

03/23/2015 5:45 PM

Why not take this idea to market?

LynDoor™Industries Automotive Accessories Division.

The close proximity collision avoidance system. Remember close counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and now parking sensors. Just before that sickening metal-to-metal/plastic/skin/bone crunch ruins your day a gentle rubbing sound and then a POP will tell you it's time to hit the brakes and get out. Let the other driver figure out how to get his car away from yours.

Easy to attach, easy to replace in case of an alarm. These sensors even glow in the dark for added protection at night.

Universal fit, metric and SAE available same cost.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 23

03/23/2015 5:37 PM

Better/more DRIVING INSTRUCTION for every driver, since it's a responsibility to *control* what you drive; driving is not a privilege.

The more *assistances* provided, the less competent the driver(s) seem to become!

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73

03/23/2015 5:42 PM

Yeah, I normally don't take the cynical route right off the bat, but I have to concur with my counterparts... relying on technology for what should be a simple task is not the answer.

For this there are two answers...

First, don't give licenses to people that can't drive. And, second, take licenses away from people that can't drive (i.e. those that hit stationary and inanimate objects.)

And, I'm serious - cars under the control (or lack there of) of incompetent and unskilled drives are a serious threat to the life and limb of others. If you don't know how to park a car, you shouldn't be driving one... period!

In reply to #4

03/25/2015 10:11 AM

We should not be adding sensors or self driving capabilities to car, trucks, or anything that moves. We should be designing driving tests so that poor drivers should be removed from the road and then the one electronic thing that should be required is that the driver behind the wheel be identified by a valid drivers license and some biometric such as fingerprint or retina scan before the car can move. A drivers license should be hard to get, possibly requiring some very skilful driving in a simulator and although I am in this range, a new test should be required each year after some determined age. I am sorry, but many drivers must be removed from the road if we want them safe. The same thing is true for airline pilots, the level of qualification has gone down due to electronics. The good ones need to be encouraged and paid better and the marginal ones removed, even if airfares go up. We as a society accept too much imperfection. Not everyone needs to be able to drive. We should have enough public transportation so those without the capability can still have the needed mobility.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340

03/23/2015 6:23 PM

Not only aren't they perfect? At parking.... But I believe there is a degradation on driving abilities or even handling a vehicle .... Or at the very least driving skill, or knowledge in handling a car.

Good Answers: 210

Re: Project - Better Aftermarket Parking Sensors

03/23/2015 7:25 PM
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

03/23/2015 7:59 PM

These have been around for years!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351
In reply to #8

03/23/2015 10:00 PM

What caltrops? That one looks really poorly made!

Nothing like the threat of severe tyre damage to increase driver awareness.

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98
In reply to #8

03/24/2015 1:11 AM

Warshawski's "Curb Feeler's" A set of those, an oohgahh horn, and those tail lights with the blue dot are all you need.

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #8

03/26/2015 3:44 PM

I also find that the trailer hitch ball is a good sensor when some one comes up from behind. There is a tactile indication that they are "close enough" and an audible notice (I.E. 'Crunch") when too close. Been using it for years decades and it is still working like new! -- JHF

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

03/24/2015 3:48 AM

Insurance companies tend to weed out crap drivers.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351
In reply to #11

03/24/2015 2:50 PM

.....who then go on to drive their un-licenced vehicles without insurance.

Good Answers: 115

03/24/2015 3:12 PM

Of all the people that I have hit while parking, the only ones who caused much damage to my vehicle were the grandmotherly types.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #13

03/24/2015 8:49 PM

This reminds me of this story, I'd thought I share.....

http://95rockfm.com/best-voicemail-giving-play-by-play-of-car-accident/

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #14

03/26/2015 2:04 PM

That was hilarious !!

Good Answers: 104

03/24/2015 11:40 PM

It's been done

Have to agree with our fellow members who believe that these are not a replacement for proper skills but I have to say they are handy in tight spots especially if what's in the back of your truck gets in the way of your line of sight.

I don't have any on my truck, wish I did many times, these and a reversing camera.

03/25/2015 1:31 AM

I had a decal in my mirror with the acronym G.O.A.L.

Actually this is off topic, I should post this in : Can anyone guess what this means ?

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #16

03/25/2015 7:13 AM

Get Out And Look?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 29

03/25/2015 4:37 AM

I deliver all types of cars and some of the new cars have very small windows, which makes them difficult to park. Also, many cars have tight fitting seats, which limit your movement (hard to get in a good position to see out the back window). Add to this the huge headrests plus large headrests in the back seat and it is difficult to see out the back.

The park sensors system I like is the Lexus intuitive park assist (option code PA). The system beeps as you get closer and also a graphic shows which corner is close. Great system and it works.

Guru

Good Answers: 26

03/25/2015 7:07 AM

If you cant park a car correctly then you should NOT be driving.

In reply to #18

03/25/2015 7:37 AM

That's extreme, but one should be able to handle a vehicle as well and as important knowing the rules of driving.

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #20

03/25/2015 8:37 AM

Parallel parking is one of the driving tests in Texas. They actually get out and measure to the curb and the front and back blocks. If you cant get within the parameters then its back to a learners permit.

In reply to #21

03/25/2015 12:28 PM

We had the same, as well as 3 point turns and be able to drive your car tire onto a yellow line in a parking lot, instructor picks the side.

When I took my drivers test, I brought our pickup truck that had racks in it. He had me park it, and the instructor had me do a 3 point turn, even though I had a opening in the rear view mirror, I was so used to backing up using the mirrors, I never looked back. He flunked me just for that, he did say he was impressed, but it taught me a good lesson.

Especially when my twin sister past her lesson the day prior.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

4wsilver (1); 70AARCuda (1); Autobroker (1); Circuit Breaker (1); Crabtree (1); DeputyDawg (1); Doorman (1); Fredski (1); jack of all trades (2); JavaHead (1); lyn (2); phoenix911 (4); texasron (2); Tom_Consulting (1); tonyhemet (1); Unredundant (1); Wal (1); WJMFIRE (2)

Previous in Forum: Vacuum Sealing of a Ceramic Muffle at the Ends in a 1100'C Furnace   Next in Forum: Remote SIP Phone on FreePBX Asterisk

Advertisement