CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: First Time Applying to Internship; Qualified?   Next in Forum: Advise for Online Courses of Protection Side
Close
Close
Close
25 comments
Active Contributor

MBA Program Beneficial for Engineering Student Career?

04/12/2015 11:08 AM

Dear All,

I m the engineer student and have done Master in engineering in recent past. I want the gurus advise about the MBA program for engineer student career. How will be add value for my career if i enroll in the MBA program?

What aspect should i consider and focus during MBA program?

Please help me to set up mind for MBA program as i m living in karachi ,Pak.

As per my observation, Marketing has big scope in job market and being engineer i feel that master in engg is not enough to raise my opportunity bar in mutlinational industries.

currently my job is process engineer in cable industry so please also enlight how mba will advantage for process engineer too.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 576

Re: will MBA program be beneficial for engineering student career?

04/12/2015 11:28 AM

I would guess it would be beneficial if your interest is someday moving into management.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #1

04/12/2015 12:38 PM

Need details about ur comment

As it is general view point that it will be beneficial for moving into management.

what are the general courses will add value for management career?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 102
In reply to #5

04/12/2015 5:18 PM

From where I sit/stand, the most added value comes from having those 3 big letters after your name on the resumé. But I may be a little cynical in my old age.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1587
In reply to #5

04/12/2015 10:04 PM

You are not getting off to a good start. Google may help.

Use your engineering skills to solve this problem.

Don't ask strangers to plan your life when all they know about you is that you ask a lot of seemingly elementary questions.

Ask someone who may want to help you, for a fee.

You are about money, right?

MRINetwork: International Recruiters. Experts in Global ...

The opinions expressed here are those of member lyn, and no one else.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

04/12/2015 11:43 AM

An MBA can easily help your employment career but I cannot see it helping at all an engineering career.

Good Answers: 1587

04/12/2015 11:59 AM

First and foremost you should do your own homework. probability question

Asking the forum to do it for you shows a tendency to be LAZY! Employers don't much like that.

READ THE RULES for posting!!!!!!! "Do your own homework. CR4 is not a homework cheat site; however, if you have questions about understanding concepts or how a portion of a problem is derived, these types of questions will be accepted."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

04/12/2015 12:33 PM

Oh boy! Raw material for more Dilbert cartoons.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

04/12/2015 12:56 PM

It is more important to show your worth within your job role.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

Re: MBA Program Beneficial for Engineering Student Career?

04/13/2015 6:37 AM

At Boeing they were always looking out for both engineering and business combined. All of the upper management had both. It just makes sense as being able to control projects and make reasonable decisions in engineering.

Good Answers: 25

04/13/2015 6:39 AM

I had similar question on my mind around 40 years back. I did not go for MBA and remained simple mechanical engineer. I came across many boys, proud to be MBAs. But when faced with real life situation they were not impressive.They were experts in drafting direct mail letters and trying to convince customers with flashy style.

Any how it is additional qualification which can get you higher post and more money. For engineers only choice is to select marketing in MBA course or mfg. management. Wish you Good Luck in your profession.

Good Answers: 35

04/13/2015 9:03 AM

If you have ideas of setting up your own business or advancing into management then an MBA would be invaluable. It will help you talk the language of bankers, investors, accountants and lawyers.

Good Answers: 8

04/13/2015 11:48 AM

Go for a PHD in engineering instead. Much more rewarding in the long run.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 42

04/13/2015 12:00 PM

It seems that you are going by theoretical assumptions that each & every stage of your degrees will directly grant you a great position.

This is a hypothetical assumption for the degree pursuers.

First of all you chose your basic engineering degree of your choice based on your aptitude.

Then second level master's degree is towards specialization.

Then comes your professional indulgence, involvement, experience, exposure & acquaintances which are part of the real development.

Then you get some groom about the trends & scope of opportunities.

All are dependent on your professional smartness, grabbing & foresight of opportunities around you & how you make a difference.

You have to make a professional plan for your self based on experience & opportunities.

Mere count on degree values [ let it be MBA / doctorate] will make your world small & speculative. So be realistic & learn lessons by indulgence.

Trends are temporary & one must be prepared for uncertainties & extremities.

So get to the reality game & travel to your destiny.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #13

04/14/2015 10:33 PM

GA, very wise words most likely the result of many classes taken at the University of Experience, the best and most expensive school in the world.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #23

04/16/2015 12:24 PM

We used to call this University, The School of Hard Knocks.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

04/13/2015 1:06 PM

At best, it will not help you unless you want to be in a leadership role in running the business. At worst, it could potentially could cause grave damage to your engineering skills.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #14

04/13/2015 1:15 PM

Not to mention the financial burden.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

04/13/2015 1:20 PM

I was going to suggest you try working in your field, but I can see you apparently are already doing that.

MBA night school, correspondence, etc. will offer you some knowledge but it will not necessarily make an enterpreneur out of you. If you want to do that, you will need to pick from life's smorgasbord somewhat choosily, but remember that time waits for no man. If you are a woman, then time is already ticking faster, and it is your biological clock about to strike the eleventh hour. But I digress.

Why not get your MBA, you might even get 2 points the first flip of the coin, especially if n=2.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

04/13/2015 2:21 PM

This is from a WEBSITE
If you are still asking yourself whether you should go back to school to earn your MBA, consider the following: Although a bachelor's degree and work experience are invaluable commodities on any resume, a graduate-level education can guarantee employers that you have the knowledge, abilities and motivation that will be demanded of you in a higher-level position. An MBA gives you credibility and distinction that cannot be earned in the workplace alone. Taking graduate level course work in business administration will prepare you to work in a wide range of industries, automatically increasing the number of positions for which you are qualified. MBAs are recognized in most countries as respected business credentials, opening up a world of career opportunities for such degree holders.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 16

04/13/2015 3:09 PM

An MBA will allow you to assume a Management responsibility so that one day you will be in a position to have someone tell you, "You need to put on your management hat." Then you can make this kind of decision:

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 29

04/14/2015 5:38 AM

Back in 1987, I was thinking about an MBA. I actually did start my MBA in 1988 and completed it 1991. I had to take some pre-requisite courses, such as Accounting I and II, Finance I, Marketing I and Business Law I - my assumption is that you'll need to do the same.

For me, it was a lot easier to get an MBA vs BSEE. The tricky part of getting an MBA is that you have to be a good juggler. At the time, I was working 40+ hours a week as an engineer, I was in the process of buying a house, managing a rental property, running a retail business with my partner, trying to keep a relationship going and all the other stuff that happens in life. I look back an I haven't got a clue how I did it.

What has my MBA done for me? It's given me a great set of business tools; Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Negotiating, Communication and Business Organizations (Corporations, Partnerships, etc). I think these are essential tools for not only your career, but also for your personal finances. I would say that I use nearly all of them on a daily basis.

To summarize, I'd say that a Master's in Engineering will focus your concentration on a specific area, where an MBA gives you a tool box full of necessary business topics.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 25

04/14/2015 7:29 AM

There are many fake universities in this subcontinent giving out MBA degrees at a price.You should avoid them. If you get admission in good college then only you should invest your money in enhancing your career. Normally fees for MBA deg. are very high.There is no end to education. You can learn life long.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #20

04/14/2015 12:20 PM

forgive my flippant reply, but why bother with fake universities, there are many graphic desging software progs/apps (and parchment suppliers) that enable you to print your own certificates.

If someone is daft enough to take them at face value then they will soon be in for a shock.

In reply to #20

04/14/2015 1:55 PM

One can learn life long, and must to survive in this modern world. But remember also, my friend, that time waits for no man.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

04/15/2015 10:21 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (1); bigg (1); Brave Sir Robin (2); Crabtree (1); Haris (1); horace40 (2); James Stewart (3); lyn (2); Original_Macgyver (2); redfred (2); reward54 (1); Rixter (1); s.udhayamarthandan (1); suresh sharma (2); texasron (1); Tornado (1); WoodwardDL (1)

Previous in Forum: First Time Applying to Internship; Qualified?   Next in Forum: Advise for Online Courses of Protection Side

Advertisement