CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Advise for Online Courses of Protection Side   Next in Forum: Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Geology Books

05/06/2015 3:58 AM

My grandson has expressed some interest in geology so I promised to try and buy him a book suitable for his age group. He is a bright and curious boy but only 13 years old. I checked my local library and found their books to be either too simple or too deep for his level of understanding. I checked my own personal library (some 7000 books) with the same result. Can anyone in the field suggest a book suitable for this age group. The author, printer, ISBN and other info would be a welcome bonus. Thanks.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 230

Re: Geology Books

05/06/2015 4:52 AM

In reply to #1

05/09/2015 9:15 PM

Thank you, I am making a list of all suggested titles and will check these books out with the others.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620

05/06/2015 8:07 AM

I recommend any of the Geology books by John McPhee for anyone with even a mild interest in the subject. His 'Basin and Range', 'Assembling California', and 'Rising from the Plains' are all very readable at his age level (if he is bright and curious as you say) and all are very entertaining. I give them my highest recommendations.

I'm currently re-reading 'Annals of the former World', which is a single volume that includes these 3 books, plus a fourth.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11/188-6575905-6488800?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=john+mcphee&sprefix=john+Mcphee%2Caps%2C390

In reply to #2

05/09/2015 9:12 PM

Thank you, I have taken note of these and will examine them when I make a list of all suggested titles.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 121

05/06/2015 9:50 AM

The best, if not the only way, to develop an interest in Geology is to get out of the house and explore the world around you. As a starting point I would recommend A Field Guide To Rocks And Minerals from the Patterson Field Guide series. I got my first copy at age 12, and it was my constant companion right through graduate school. Another good starting place is the state by state Roadside Geology books for your grandson's region of the US.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Don't Know What Made The Old Title Attractive... Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - 60 Year Member

Good Answers: 265
In reply to #3

05/06/2015 12:22 PM

Agree 100% with the Peterson Field Guides. Durable construction, well structured information, nice images, informative text. Far and away my favorites.

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/

Good Answers: 1125

05/06/2015 11:49 AM
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73

05/06/2015 2:23 PM

As a introductory book, I'd recommend:

• Reading the Rocks: The Autobiography of the Earth
  • Author: Marcia Bjornerud
  • Publisher: Basic Books (October 31, 2006)
  • ISBN: 978-0465006847

I wouldn't say it's the 'best' book as there are some parts I liked more than others... but it is a 'good' book, especially for a novice and as an introduction into the field that may excite and entice - and I think it should be fine for the desired reading level. But I might suggest a personal read prior to passing it down to make sure it's in-line with your thinking.

In reply to #6

05/09/2015 9:21 PM

Thank you for this tip. I ordered one for my own collection. If it is what I am looking for I will get another for my grandson.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19

05/06/2015 10:15 PM

Oh and when you find your first geode!!!

Still got it.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #7

05/09/2015 9:26 PM

I know the feeling. Not a geode in my case but collecting sulphur samples from the side of a volcano in Indonesia and a crystal bearing ytterbium in Colorado and my first fossil. Magical moments to be remembered.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

05/07/2015 3:24 PM

Do you live near your grandson? Do you both live near a natural history museum/children's museum? A good museum bookshop will have a range of books for different reading levels/interests, on geology and lots of other topics.. A trip to the museum with Grandad would give Grandad more insight into exactly what the youngster's interests are.

The answers suggesting field guides are unconventional and really good! Your grandson can start exploring the world nearby. He's lucky to have an attentive grandfather.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #8

05/07/2015 6:06 PM

All very true but unfortunately he lives in Queensland and I live in Victoria (Australia)and the distance between us is very large. He has already shown interest in several subjects (unfortunately not math) so it could be a phase, but this one I am trying to encourage. Thanks for the reply

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #9

05/07/2015 10:38 PM

Meantime your grand;child shows any interest in maths,following link would be useful.

This is totally a 'FREE SERVICE' from my side.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/

Again, an important quote for your grand child from Persian literature.This will help him/her to face any kind of challenge till his/her last breath.

"The dogs will bark, but the caravan moves on"

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #11

05/09/2015 9:36 PM

Thank you for the encouragement. I am no expert in math myself but I can integrate and differentiate some of the simpler functions. I enjoy the subject but can also see that by the time most kids are introduced to it they have already built up a fear of it. I had good teachers who made the subject come alive. I do not see much of that happening today. I grew up with log tables and slide rules. My father often set me problems and would not accept the use of any general formula unless I derived it from first principals before using it. I can not speak for other countries but here kids are not taught to think through problems, or so it seems to me.

Guru

Good Answers: 23

05/07/2015 8:12 PM

I can tell you from personal experience as somebody who once was a 13 year old boy, that if I was interested in a particular subject I would seek out a group of boys my age and see what books they were using.

Seeing how your not a 13 year old boy, maybe if you looked at it from his perspective, maybe somewhere in that pile of 7000 odd books there might be one he would be interested in.

You could make the gift personal by writing a note in the book such as : To my dearest __________, hopefully you will enjoy this book as much as I have, love _________.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #10

05/09/2015 9:44 PM

I have given him books in that manner before. I haven't mentioned it but I am fighting an up hill battle with my daughter and son in law. They are very religious and believe the world is only some 6000 years old. For the grandson to even mention geology was a surprise to me. This is one reason I want to encourage his interest in geology. I did one year at the Colorado School of Mines but unfortunately life got in the way of finishing the course and I do regret this. Another problem is he is rather restricted in who he is allowed to associate with these being other religious people.

Guru

Good Answers: 121
In reply to #17

05/10/2015 10:23 AM

All the more reason to inspire an interest in Geology with mineral collecting as a starting point. The ability to identify minerals and rock types, and find good specimens is pretty much religion neutral. (Quartz crystals exist, whether they were made by God or by some other process is irrelevant at this point in the boy's study)

However, such a hobby will inevitably lead to questions that can't be answered by the Bible alone. As the boy gets older, he will have the freedom to seek answers to his questions elsewhere.

In reply to #19

05/10/2015 5:57 PM

That seems logical to me. I will send a few specimens and a book describing them and others and how to find them to see how he goes. I will also give him a book a bit later on how the rocks and landscape formed. Thanks.

Register to Reply
Power-User

05/09/2015 9:47 PM

Thank you every one, I have a clearer idea of what I want now and several good leads to achieve this. You have to love this site, always get good advice.

Register to Reply
Participant

08/12/2015 4:41 AM

Try www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/geology

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); dolby (1); Doorman (1); gringogreg (2); JavaHead (1); Martha (1); prof peanut (9); Randall (1); SolarEagle (1); tonyhemet (1); Usbport (1); Wrench twirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Advise for Online Courses of Protection Side   Next in Forum: Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?

Advertisement