CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Geology Books   Next in Forum: Mobile Application for Engineering Notes
Close
Close
Close
86 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 42

Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?

05/06/2015 9:46 AM

Cashiers are more and more dependent on the machine to dictate how much change to give to a customer providing a currency that is more (larger bills) than the purchase.

The following link provides a look at how math has been taught over the years.

http://www.youngcons.com/take-a-look-at-the-difference-in-how-schools-used-to-teach-math-in-1950-compared-to-today/

How many teenagers can make change for a dollar today?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 335

Re: Can you make change for a dollar without a cash register?

05/06/2015 10:00 AM

We experience that, recently we we in the checkout line at a TJ Max and the total was $30.15, my girlfriend gave the clerk $40.15 for $10.00 in change.... that cute little 20 something looked back at us with a deer in the head lights look and proclaimed that's impossible to do.

Sounds like the making of a government public servant.

Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #1

05/06/2015 11:15 AM

Wow, and you gave her an easy one. You can really blow them away at McDonald's when your burger, fries and drink comes out to $3.82 and you hand the math impaired youngster $4.07. Almost invariably, they will want to hand back the seven cents, and I, in my smugly old crank way tell them, "Go ahead and punch the numbers into the machine and then you will understand." I usually get the age-appropriate roll of the eyes when light dawns on Marblehead.

I do enjoy toying with the products of our DoE, NEA, No Child Left Behind and Common Core.

I just prefer to consolidate my metallic change whenever possible so I don't carry around as much. Is that such a bad thing?

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 455
In reply to #3

05/06/2015 11:29 AM

Your sum would have everyone mystified over here, as we don't have quarters (or equivalent).

Much as many of us miss the old LSD (pounds, shillings and pence) I hate to think what a mess kids would make these days with 20s in £1 and 12d in 1s. Never mind half-crown coins (two shillings and sixpence).

In reply to #4

05/06/2015 11:37 AM

Oh, yeah.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 620
In reply to #4

05/06/2015 11:55 AM

...and the speed of light is given as 500 million furlongs per fortnight.

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #6

05/06/2015 11:22 PM

umm 1.803 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

I'll go get a life!!!

One of the curiosities of the old LSD system was what constitutes an easy percentage. At uni in the late 80s (with the decimal system) a flatmate worked in a betting shop where the betting tax was 10% so easy enough to add to all the bets but discussion with older workers revealed that previously it had been 8.3333% which I am embarrassed to say foxed us. Only when I mentioned it to my dad did he point out the obvious logic of 1/12th that the tax had been 1 old penny per old shilling!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700
In reply to #4

05/07/2015 2:43 PM

Oh, yes. £1/3 is 6s 8d; 100d is 8s 4d. Hurrah for long-range memory and a 1960s-quality education!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #4

05/07/2015 4:56 PM

You still neglected florins and crowns, not forgetting the 10 bob notes, sixpences, thrupenny bits, Guineas, Sovreigns, Hapennies and Farthings??!!! (Spellings may be a bit off!!!!)

Years ago, in a London restaurant, I had to help a Yale Math lecturer pay the bill, he hadn't a clue what to pay and what to tip!!! It must have been around 1965 at a rough guess!!!

Pre-decimalisation money in the UK was, I considered then and now, to be the best possible training for working on early computers using Binary, Octal, decimal and Hexadecimal, all in the same machine at different points!!!

I could add, subtract, divide and multiply and convert in both Octal and Hex, let alone decimal!! I needed paper just for binary as it got soooo long sometimes!!

No pocket calculators then!!! And no test software till around 1978 for setting up parts of the system, at least in Univac on the then smaller CPUs....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

05/06/2015 2:49 PM

I do enjoy toying with the products of our DoE, NEA, No Child Left Behind and Common Core.

Just remember,..... they are the ones that may be supporting you in your twilight years.

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #3

05/06/2015 8:42 PM

I do the very same thing and was going to post about it.

I used to be surprised at the number of people who have trouble with the concept. I know some people are better with numbers than others, but it seems like be a cashier would enable them to gain some level of proficiency.

Deer in the headlights is certainly the most common reaction. I really like it when the cashier is the type of person who tries to not let anyone know that they have no idea what is going on.

I've even had someone get flustered and hand me too much change. I attempted to give it back, until they began to explain that it was better their way. Okay.

In reply to #3

05/07/2015 9:22 AM

I had the same McD experience about 35 years ago, so I don't think it's new; "add in" if you want to use a coupon. The manager had to finally come out with a pencil and paper to figure it out.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

05/12/2015 10:50 AM

My nephew use to give me that roll of the eyes..... that is really irritating. the last time he did it to me, and the reason it was the last time is when he did it to me, I asked his mother (my twin sister) "Can I smack the kid?" She said "yes, just don't leave any bruises for evidence".

I turned to my nephew and said, "Try it again!"

He stopped doing that ..... to everybody.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #67

05/12/2015 6:22 PM

LOVE IT! WELL DONE YOU AND YOUR SIS!!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #3

05/12/2015 11:22 AM

You guys don't get it do you. Obviously none of you have ever used one or bother to see how it works. The machine requires the cashier to put in the change. Without it doing that the drawer will not open truly amazing how a bunch of engineers don't have a drop of common sense. I'd roll my eyes at you guys too for being so ignorant.

In reply to #68

05/12/2015 11:55 AM

You don't understand what is being discussed if you think anyone is ridiculing the cashiers for entering the amounts to open the drawer.

In reply to #69

05/12/2015 12:17 PM

Not surprising,.... He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

With an example of this. I'm afraid I'll be working for quite some time.... Maybe even supporting such people who just don't or maybe refuse to get it.

Frankly, I think they' just give themselves way too much credit or just too arrogant to get it. Give them time to grow up and get some mileage in their life. In the mean time, I can see I won't be retiring too soon.

In the mean time bakerjoin, thanks for your attempt at sharing your wisdom. I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed watching Seinfeld.

In reply to #69

05/12/2015 6:24 PM

Well said.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #68

07/23/2015 1:25 PM

<...ignorant...> The thread title asks whether one can work it out in the head. Most machines allow the cashier to enter the amount tendered so it can calculate the change.

1 x OT for being rude.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #68

07/23/2015 2:39 PM

I used to know a girl that worked at the Post Office.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121
In reply to #1

05/11/2015 8:56 PM

Yep! Good "new" number line math at work in our society of shrinking knowledge.

Funny how we somehow decided to lower all of our children's education standards instead of focusing on "pulling" the slow ones up to a higher level so they wouldn't be "left behind".

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350
In reply to #56

05/11/2015 10:17 PM

"No child left behind, so everyone else slow down".

Hey it worked for the tortoise.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749
In reply to #57

05/11/2015 10:23 PM

See also Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron".

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

In reply to #56

05/11/2015 10:27 PM

Were is your evidence? You don't have any kids in school right now or you don't pay attention to what they are learning. On average the kids are at an accelerated rate of learning. Example my daughter in 5th grade is learning the college prep math I had my sophomore year in High School. The problem is parents now a days are so far behind them they can't keep up.

In reply to #59

05/12/2015 1:57 AM

Oh is that was it is,.... So I can retire early, I think not.

In reply to #60

05/12/2015 8:19 AM

Maybe that would be a good thing great rid of some of the old rusty blood and bring in some new fresh thinking.

In reply to #65

05/12/2015 9:16 AM

maybe,.....Just remember this, just because you don't know, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. But you'll learn.

In reply to #59

05/14/2015 12:53 AM

Seriously? We just graduated the last of four children from high school last year. I do pay attention to what they are learning and I am appalled. They never learned the times table in elementary school. Their spelling tests in elementary school and middle school were multiple choice!!!!! How uckingfay stupid is that? It's because the unionized teachers are so lazy they just like to use the fill in the dots so the machine does the grading for them. You will never learn to spell something you don't have to remember and then write down. I never saw any term papers required of my high schoolers. Their high school math was a watered-down version of what I did in Massachusetts 35 years ago. And I live in Maryland, supposedly one of the better states from an education point, and I live in Anne Arundel County, one of the higher performing counties in Maryland. Kids may be on an accelerated rate of learning but the problem is that the learning is so accelerated, they really don't learn any of it.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #75

05/14/2015 3:57 AM

Learn and retain.

Story times boys and girls, I missed the family gathering over Easter. My brother filled me in, my older sister kids are musically inclined,.... Kinda....., and they gave a recital to everyone. When one was finished and thought it was over, the next child played, and when that was done, the next one played....My brother who was there said it was the most torturous time and said I was lucky to have missed it.

About two weeks ago, I took that (older) sister and her husband and my twin sister and her hubby out for dinner. And it ended up that I didn't miss it, because my older sister gave me a play by play recap. Anyways, in the middle of my older sisters recap I inadvertently said, "God, take me now." Some knew what I meant.

In reply to #76

05/14/2015 5:03 AM

THE TRUTH WILL OUT!!!

I sincerely believe that the truth is sometimes hard to swallow (as in this case), but your older sister (?) should learn and profit from it!! Stop her boring the neighbors as well!!!

Still LOL though!!

In reply to #77

05/14/2015 7:11 AM

well I as well as my twin sister played the piano, when I was 7-10 years old. And my mother always made me played when company was over. my brothers would all groin groan and tease me consistently on the torture about putting them through this (in front of our company, of course) , and I agreed with them..... it was torture. But if I could torture my older brothers, I'm all for that.

Nothing worst than taking advantage of friends making them watch. I'm just glad we had no mediocre vacation slides. because our vacations was absolutely exciting .... not.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?

05/06/2015 11:05 AM

Teenagers are really at making change for dollar. They change a lot mine into video games, food and gasoline.

The real question is how to get them to make their own dollar...

Good Answers: 1125

05/06/2015 12:17 PM

The irony is that those that can, will probably never have to....I'm just happy if they can understand and speak English...

In reply to #7

05/06/2015 2:51 PM

and those that can't can still make or soon to make $15.00/hour.

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #9

05/06/2015 7:41 PM

Yeah but $15 isn't worth what it was 20 years ago....

....and it's not gonna' be worth what it is today in another 20 years....

Good Answers: 24
In reply to #14

05/08/2015 7:58 PM

According to the Gubmint there is no inflation. That is why Military Pensions and SS are pegged at 1.5%.

In your defense, Costco, Sams, Macy's, Sears and many other retailers are also unaware of the gubmint claims.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 1586
In reply to #9

05/06/2015 8:07 PM

BUT, Congress makes $197.00 an hour.

Who's more worth their pay?

Some poor slob flipping burgers or the fat cats who get perks such as free office, staff, parking, plane rides, brides...............................need I go on?

Register to Reply
Guru

05/06/2015 5:35 PM

I attended a Common Core "math for parents" meeting of 4th graders going to fifth grade last year.

I was appalled.

I entered grade school 1953. I was terrible at higher math, but I can confuse burger flippers with extra coins so I get a quarter back.

My biological kids both have degrees.

My adopted kids may never get that far. But their feelings will be protected.

(In their defense, they were all meth babies) Another product of modern society.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 575

05/06/2015 6:07 PM

If you have calculators, why learn math,

if you have texting, why learn to spell,

if you have Google, why learn anything,

just relax and be a consumer.

Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

05/06/2015 7:25 PM

If you have CR4, why learn Google.

Someone had to say it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #13

05/07/2015 9:49 AM

That is blunt, crude, insulting, offensive, and I loved every minute of it!

(Yeah, I watched The Producers (2005 film) last night)

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

05/08/2015 9:19 AM

Your welcome, for the straight line.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69

05/06/2015 7:18 PM

Try using a $2.00 bill sometime!

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #12

05/07/2015 4:17 AM

Dollar coins are fun too.

Most people around here just look at them then call for assistance.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175
In reply to #21

05/07/2015 8:02 AM

Try using an old $2 bill. They'll look at you like you have 3 heads, then call the store manager, who usually hasn't a clue either.

They'll tell you that there's no such thing as a $2 bill......

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

05/06/2015 10:45 PM

Think about this real hard: that "Deer in the Headlights" kid (age 18 and older) has the right to vote also....possibly another Low Information Voter.

And, someday they'll be running this planet. Scary thoughts, eh?

It's no wonder I can't see well at night. And you just thought it was my PTSD, eh?

Good Answers: 20

05/07/2015 1:33 AM

Here is my 50 cents worth. (Very Sore subject matter for me) We all have comments to make about how the school systems are failing our kids, our states and our country. We have just as many out cries about how bad our government is. But I hear little about how to bind together and fix the problems stated by each of us on a daily basis. There are some very good minds out there I would think we could begin a discussion on fixing it.

Fixit.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #19

05/07/2015 9:21 AM

It's up to parents to teach their kids how to do this, since the schools don't seem to be able to! I'm sending my daughter a note today to make sure she has done this with my grandchildren! (she probably already has)

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 103
In reply to #27

05/13/2015 4:46 PM

I tried to show my grand daughter how to solve a math problem using my 70 year old math skill. She told me the teacher would not accept any but the schools way of doing math. I have always been good at math (and still am), but I just can't comprehend how anyone cannot do simple math. I have made the observation that foreigners are much quicker at math than we are. If you want to see some sharp math skills, visit a Chinese food market.They can figure change without a register.

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416
In reply to #73

05/13/2015 5:18 PM

I had the same problem with one of my sons who was in an honors math program in grade school. Seems he wasn't quite "getting it" in high school so he asked me how I would do one of his problems, three steps and it's done. He said his method was close to mine, but the teacher insisted he had to do the "standard" seven step method or risk being dropped from the class.

Off to school I go to meet with the teacher who reluctantly agreed that the correctness of the answer was more important than the method used to get it. Then she said, "I still can't see how he can get the right answer that way." Seven years later he was the Valedictorian in his undergraduate graduating class.

In reply to #19

07/23/2015 1:39 PM

<...50 cents worth...> And the change for a dollar on that is....er...um.....aaaah.......

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

05/07/2015 2:07 AM

(Re OP clip) Funny yes, accurate no, despite some trends.

05/07/2015 7:03 AM

NONE!!!

And its not just teenagers......

Almost anyone who learned Math at school with a pocket calculator CANNOT WORK OUT SIMPLE MATHEMATICS IN THEIR HEAD!!!

Even 4 - 2 = ? Is a problem they have to work out slowly!!!

Being poor has its advantages sometimes!!

May I suggest that the problem possibly stems from about 1980 on wards? When were cheap calculators first made? Could even be a bit earlier...So people under say 40 odd years old are probably affected....especially the ones behind the counter at gas stations and bakeries.

Even young Waitresses can still add up well here at least, I CHECK!!!

I recently found for example, that Libre Office under Ubuntu has not only the worst "Help" files that I have ever looked at, but simple math (SUM for example, could hardly be simpler) has some serious and very obvious errors in comparison to MS Excel....

So I was adding up hours worked the old fashioned way with paper and pencil.....but modern kids could not do that....working in minutes and hours DUUUHHHH!

I have since re-installed MS Office 2010 Ultra on my Win7 laptop and guess what, the exact same Excel sheets from Libre Office that were wrongly calculated every time, are calculated exactly and correctly!

The same as my pencil/paper method coincidentally!!

Perhaps the people who look after Libre Office are in the affected age group?

So Libre Office is gone from my Ubuntu laptop and MS Office is on my Win7 Laptop.....!!!

If you are using Libre Office, don't!! Get rid of it....Even running an update did not fix either problem!!!

I tried to tell them (the Libre Office developers), but they make it next to impossible to talk to them as well, so I gave up completely.....

You would expect that an office program would have standard sheets, with many formulas and known answers that must be tested before sending it out for general usage, WRONG!!!

Total crap!!

Rant over!!

Anonymous Poster #2
In reply to #22

07/23/2015 1:41 PM

If only all those exclamation marks were over too.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

05/07/2015 8:05 AM

I've had people yell at me in the checkout line for taking the time to quiz my kids about how much change they can expect from the cashier. Learning it in school is fine but you've got to back it up in real life.

Since we've rid ourselves of the penny, rounding up or down adds another level of complexity.

Good Answers: 45

05/07/2015 8:37 AM

And they wonder why we are falling behind.

Yesterdae I cudnt eeven spel engnear todae I are 1!

Good Answers: 5

05/07/2015 8:42 AM

Similarly, I have noticed that my local grocery store appears to be taking advantage of the fact that many shoppers are mathematically-challenged. Years ago, the larger-sized item was usually a little better deal ($/ounce) than the smaller item. That doesn't seem to be the case any more. The difference is often significant. I often find myself buying 2 or 3 smaller bottles of catsup (or two six-packs of beer) to save a dollar or more.

In reply to #26

05/07/2015 11:04 AM

I agree entirely, you have to work it out each and every time.....

Made more difficult when some companies post the weight and some the volume!!! For what is the same sort of stuff, eg. Tomato sauce!!

One day I will take a balance with me and buy the cheapest weight for the price.....though what I will get for "looks" is another thing coming!!!

In reply to #31

05/07/2015 10:32 PM

I use the scale in the produce department. I have found bread from the bakery significantly under weight from what the price sticker claims.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 630
In reply to #39

05/11/2015 2:50 PM

I've found the packs of mushrooms are all above the stated weight, some by up to 50%...
So I always look for the pack jammed full of small mushrooms rather than the pack with a few big ones...

Del

PS. One of my (many) pet hates is people confusing maths with arithmetic. And then I have to explain the difference

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #26

05/07/2015 6:47 PM

I think it is law in the UK but certainly when you go around the big supermarkets they have to display (usually as small as they can) the actual cost per weight of items so you can make this comparison yourself.

Where they cheat here is to put prices up for a week then offer the huge discount!

In reply to #37

05/07/2015 10:15 PM

Here in the US, those price per weight indications are also very common, but don't let your guard down. I have noticed that the information, even though tiny, unlike most deceptions, is not always accurate. Some times store brands are skewed to look like a better deal by printing the sheet display labels using a larger weight than is actual.

Caveat Emptor.

Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 17

05/07/2015 10:00 AM

Boy oh boy, one of my favorite rants.

You see basic math and basic communication(grammer/spelling) skills sorely lacking just about everywhere you go. Without the cash register the vast majority of service workers are indeed lost(on the "plus" side-if there is one, we in Canada no longer have to deal with pennies, but that creates a "rounding" nightmare for some-make that most). Without spell check, same scenario, even though it will not catch everything, grammatically especially.

What gets me is that now,, it seems that local school boards are making it even worse by trying to make sure that every pupil has a laptop, or at a minimum, a smart phone - some boards even supplying them to the students in grade school - last one I read about was a grade 2 class.

What are our "educators"(especially the people who develop a curriculum) doing? I can recall log tables and having to use those along with your basic algebra and other math and science classes even before we were allowed to use a slide rule(really dating myself here, right?). Yes, technology is a great thing, but what ever happened to the very basics, why to the apps work? We are raising generations of people who are completely lost if the power goes out or their batteries die and they cannot use their personal devices.

I am all in favor of the "old school" way, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for it to return. Who was it that said,,,, "All is lost!!" And we are almost there.

05/07/2015 12:28 PM

Let's look at it from MacDonald's side.

During rush hour, cars are stacked up waiting for their food.

The time difference between counting out the change manually, and then counting it out again to the customer, instead of reading it and taking it directly out of the till and handing it to the customer without counting it out to them can add up to many thousands of dollars over a year.

Jus sayin'.

Guru

In reply to #32

05/07/2015 12:40 PM

Yes, advantages are there for this type of transaction. But,,,,, what ever happened to learning why??

In reply to #33

05/07/2015 6:00 PM

Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do the change.

From: The Charge of the Light Brigade which should also be required reading for everyone.

Guru

In reply to #36

05/14/2015 8:43 AM

Thank you for the reference.

I guess I should have mentioned "how" as well as "why".

In reply to #32

05/08/2015 9:46 AM

"... Jus sayin'..."

I'm glad to see you write that. It gives me a reason to ask you what the phrase means. Other people use it, but I feel like I have the best chance of getting a meaningful down to earth explanation from you.

In reply to #41

05/08/2015 10:00 AM

I use it to indicate that I am stating an opinion that is contradictory to the majority of opinions stated and a position that I can neither prove, or perhaps even support myself.

Just my opinion.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #42

05/08/2015 10:52 AM

Are you just saying it's just your opinion. Or is it just your opinion that your Jus sayin?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #43

05/08/2015 11:12 AM

No, what he's saying is, "Everyone has a entitled to hear Lyn's opinion".

In reply to #42

05/08/2015 12:16 PM

Got it.

Jus' listening.

..and

Jus' thanks.

05/08/2015 11:43 PM

Who the hell uses cash anymore everything is paid for with credit cards. Besides the modern cash registers encourages the user not to bother figuring out the math because it does it for them plus keeps track of the monies going in and out plus inventory of products. So why would anyone using a register ever not know what the correct change was. Now figuring out what coins to give you that's a different story. Again nothing to do with math skills but experience in the use of coins.

My daughter at the age of 11 is already doing higher level algebra, and geometry. Equal to what I covered my junior year in High School. Kids now have to know way more then what we did. Common Core is a pretty good program to high students excel into higher maths. Next year she enters the University of Cambridge program that is offered in AZ. So in six grade she'll be covering trig. By 7th and 8th calculus so Common Core most be doing something right.

05/09/2015 11:40 AM

There is one other thing. And that is tipping for service such as to the waitress or pizza delivery guy.. (TIPS = To Insure Personal Service) In the states its customary to tip, while in Europe it's not, (incentive and wage scale difference has something to do with it )

Any way, I would tip 20% and round up to the nearest whole dollar or $0.25 depends on the day I'm having. When the bill come, and if it's say $16.27, I would tip $3.73 so that the total bill would be $20.00. I always like round numbers, and it keeps me somewhat sharp...... Or I like to think it does.

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #48

05/09/2015 7:37 PM

If your paying with cash, a $20 bill makes sense. If you are paying with a credit card and the bill is $16.27, I would probably write $4 in the space for the tip and the charge to my credit card would be $20.27. My sister informed me that waitresses prefer cash tips, but I travel on business a lot, and I always put my meals on credit card and I always put the tip on the credit card. Any comments?

In reply to #49

05/10/2015 10:53 AM

Not surprised Everyone probably would prefer cash. I travel quite a bit also, it does go on my expense reports. Prior to business travel. At one time I always paid cash. For the last 10 years I started paying with credit cards, even the pizza delivery.

The point I was actually making is not paying with credit card or cash and tipping. It was a practice in what should be simple math....

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

05/10/2015 12:22 AM

My first after school job was a cashier in a precursor to the big box store. Our cash registers had a field of numbers 10 high by 4 wide, you had to push 4 keys to enter $12.34, then a department key (grocery, meat, etc.), to add the number to the total, and you had to make the change in your head. Worked fine for me, but many of the other kids struggled with it.

Then the state mandated a 3% sales tax! There were no calculators back then so we got a card with a chart that was 10 high by 5 wide, with every possible combination of sale and appropriate tax with a line at the bottom that said "Contact your manager for any sale over $100". You can imagine the chaos amongst my peers while I was able to do any price in my head, mainly because we were taught rote math via the multiplication tables in grade school.

I still add up my items while standing in the checkout lines, you should the looks I get when I tell the cashier the total to the nearest two dollars before they start scanning the goods.

In reply to #50

05/10/2015 1:08 AM

You should be a contestant on "The Price Is Right"!

05/11/2015 6:17 PM

We're at a unique point in history. Machines are becoming more intelligent, humans less. As we approach the cross over point, savor our last days at the top of the food chain.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #54

05/11/2015 6:54 PM

The Terminator movie and TV franchise would be so much less exciting if the computers just short-changed us.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 630

05/12/2015 2:55 AM

You can't judge a society by examining the behaviour of a small group of employees who operate tills.

I expect if you studied the workers at an electronics design house your conclusions would be different.

It is also patronising.. some of these kids may have abilities in other specialist fields which way outstrip ours... (Like computer game play)

Maybe they are just doing it to put bread on the table.

I once knew a guy who did the most menial 9 to 5 brainless job... he did it so he could play chess in his head all day... he was a grand master or some such

Del

In reply to #61

05/12/2015 3:00 AM

What is interesting and what one tends to forget, was there was a time when at the checkout the cashier would key in the price of each item in the register. Now it's a swipe of the bar code... And any delays we have today to how we do it now, we become more impatient.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6

05/12/2015 3:00 AM

Here, the shopkeeper/cashier simply counts further from what you have to pay, till he reaches the amount you handed over.

Gajanan Phadte

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #62

05/12/2015 4:40 AM

When I grew up (in the USA), this was taught in the fourth year of elementary school (1959 in this instance). By now it seems to be a lost art.

Good Answers: 104
In reply to #62

05/17/2015 7:03 AM

That's the way I payout and receive change too.

We have another complication here of a dual currency system and change is counted back to you, exchange rate perfect, by the kids of vendors without calculators or a cash register in site.

The concept of giving additional small notes (no coins here) to reduce the physical bulk of the change to larger denominations is also understood and worked out mentally and perfectly. Vendor needs small change customer needs a compact wallet. All good.......and yet this country has one of the worst most corrupt education systems in the world.

Kids learn arithmetic at home life here, not at school. Amazing what you can learn if you have to...or not bother learning if you don't have to.

In reply to #62

07/23/2015 1:47 PM

...and that is the way it was always taught in the days of Good Parenting....

05/14/2015 7:54 PM

JUST INTERESTING...

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 86 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); alphan_namli (1); Andy Germany (6); Anonymous Poster (3); bakerjohn (4); Brave Sir Robin (3); CaptMoosie (2); Del the cat (2); Dr. Harry (1); fixitorelse (1); gmphadte (1); jack of all trades (3); JohnDG (1); JWthetech (1); Kevin LaPaire (3); lyn (5); Massey (1); metalSmiths (1); phoenix911 (13); PWSlack (4); RAMConsult (2); rashavarek (1); Rixter (3); ronseto (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); simonsd (2); SolarEagle (2); Steve of the North (1); Tom_Consulting (2); Tornado (4); tribefan1952 (2); truth is not a compromise (6); Usbport (1); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Geology Books   Next in Forum: Mobile Application for Engineering Notes

Advertisement