CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Home Built Solar Heater   Next in Forum: Metric Nut Job!
Close
Close
Close
32 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

How to Use Eco Gas Cans...

06/09/2015 10:06 AM

I hate these damn things but here's a useful video for those that want to try. I've spilled more fuel trying to use this type than I ever did with good old, vented cans and a funnel, and some care! I usually take them apart and put a hole with an eye hook in it near the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nytxlA-G1Sk

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 759

Re: How to Use Eco Gas Cans...

06/09/2015 10:35 AM

Hmm. ~30 seconds of how to use the can and 4:30 of how not to be an idiot and hurt yourself with the fuel or the can or anything around you.

PersonallY i prefer the old fashioned repurposed 5 gallon buckets. If you know how to pour out of one the right way and with the correct type of funnel they too are a low spill device.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

06/09/2015 11:35 AM

I use my chain saw so infrequently these days that I switched to pre-mixed fuel. A lot easier to use than those new "safe" plastic containers.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/lubricants-fuels/2-stroke-pre-mixed-fuel-oil/581-15-87-01/

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98

06/09/2015 12:41 PM

I hate when the smoke from my cigar gets in my eyes and makes me squint when I am filling my mower. Especially with the 115/145 I get from the airport.

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 269
In reply to #3

06/09/2015 2:15 PM

I'm sure you let the engine cool down also.

In reply to #4

06/09/2015 2:19 PM

Oh yeah, I drip a little on the cylinder head and when it quits hissing, I load her up!

Good Answers: 115

06/09/2015 2:19 PM

The first two of those I bought are on a shelf broken....my attempt to get them to work correctly ending in abuse.

In reply to #5

06/09/2015 2:27 PM

It is an outrage that they get to use the name "Jerry Can" which our GI's gave to the gas cans copied from the German!!!! version.

With a real Jerry Can, you can fill a mower up like it was a NASCAR pit stop! I even play air wrench sound effects. The kid that mows my lawn gets all excited.

Good Answers: 1062

06/09/2015 3:40 PM

You want regular? ..or Ethyl??

In reply to #8

06/09/2015 3:57 PM

Caption this:

Mein Gott! Fritz, haben Sie fart?

Good Answers: 120
In reply to #9

06/09/2015 4:50 PM

The mule did it. You can tell by the look on his face

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #9

06/10/2015 3:47 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

CR4 is an English-speaking community. As such, all content must be posted in the English language so that it is accessible to this audience and can be reviewed properly.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 222
In reply to #18

06/10/2015 11:33 AM

Dass toot Mir lied.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #18

06/10/2015 11:38 AM

Some people do not know when its fun, I was only talking about correct ways of saying "Fart"!!

The joke cartoon was in English......

In reply to #25

06/10/2015 1:25 PM

Maybe that wasn't the post I thought it was!!

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 611

06/09/2015 5:54 PM

The way the guy pronounces 'spout', I suspect he is Canadian. I don't know anyone in the US that uses the term 'Jerry Can'. Maybe there is some regional usage of that term.

I bought one of those new 5 gallon 'cans', but I saved my old 1-gallon ones. With a bit of effort I can attach an old spout to the new can and not get a spill. The annoying thing about the new spout is trying to use it to fill a smaller tool like a weed whacker or mini-tiller. You need a 3rd hand to hold the small tool while filling it. I fill the 1-gal cans from the 5-gal can, then use those for filling the small tools.

Once again the 'progress' the government creates is negative from how common sense understands the term.

Good Answers: 158
In reply to #11

06/10/2015 1:09 AM

I suspect that anyone who remembers WWII, also remembers the term "Jerry Can". I certainly do! I still have an empty one in the garage...

Good Answers: 1543

06/09/2015 6:36 PM

I'm doomed.

I have six different gas cans and none of them look like the one in the demo.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/09/2015 7:15 PM

Judicious use of a razor utility knife usually can usually defeat the most obnoxious features of these cans/spout. For instance, the first victim is that stupid ratcheting ring locking feature on the threaded fitting that forces you to hold down the tab with one hand, while using the other hand to unscrew the top. Next, the locking mechanism that forces you to jam the spout down into the filler neck (like I have a F*&%ing 8 inch long filler neck on my lawnmower ) before the gasoline is released from the can can be cut so that you simply pull back on the spout 'neck' to release the gasoline. Some cans have a 'trigger lock' that must be pushed to the side before you can push down on the lever that opens the valve. Again, you can cut the "catch" that stops the handle from going down, and then you don't have to play gymnastics with your hands to use the damn thing.

I'd love to sentence the turds at the EPA that foisted this insanity on us to fill 50 lawnmowers a day with THEIR gas cans for a year.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1543
In reply to #13

06/09/2015 7:40 PM

Yes, and let's make sure that they have to use a different style for each filling, in the dark!!!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1062

06/09/2015 7:42 PM

The SolarEagle Classes for the Unfortunate(SCEU)(pronounced "see you"), at the School of Common Knowledge(SOCK) (pronounced "sock") will commence classes soon in the instructional use of Safety Gas Cans(SGC) registration is optional, but payment is mandatory....Graduates will receive Certificate of Completion(CoC) good for License to Operate(LO) manually operated gas can dispensers(MOGCD's)....$300. initial fee with additional fee's due immediately...Failure to complete the course satisfactorily will result in black listing from the dispenser community...

Gas can operation....it's not as easy as it looks....

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19

06/10/2015 3:18 AM

I just use these.

Get the white one you can see the amount remaining at a glance. However some filling stations frown on them because they are NOT red!

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

06/10/2015 4:12 AM

Now firstly, as far as I am aware, nobody on this side of the Atlantic sells them here YET!

Secondly, even the older style he turns it into, but without the vent, is a pain in the A**E!

We got those.....

They take an age to empty too.....

Now before you all jump down my throat, I would like to say that the way my wife (when I am not around) does things, if we had a petrol (Gas for the USA!) car, she would be long gone to heaven or hell!!

So the device that shuts off the flow automatically appealed to me for the women folk. So I would have liked to see just the vent on sale (here as well), so that once fuel is slowly flowing, you can speed it up by opening the vent!!

Has anyone tried that yet?

Furthermore, a plastic vent that an amateur cuts the hole for, is to me very unsafe and probably some will cut the hole jagged, or too big and send themselves early to heaven or hell!!! Fully baked!!!

It needs proper retention and sealing before I would use one....(still possible with a good design from outside the can.....)

For me, that is jumping out of the pan into the fire, literally!!!

Even better, a well designed air vent, that automatically opened, but only when the pressure in the can is less than the air pressure outside would be great....maybe with a threaded part to seal/disable it when not required.

If not already patented somewhere, I bequeath it to anyone who wants it!!

Personally, I don't like having petrol (or even Diesel) in plastic of any color!!!

I liked the old heavy steel cans, there are still a few in the garage somewhere I believe, ages old, but good!! One has a modern plastic spout!!WOW!!

At least once the fumes are dispersed, one can weld, braze or solder a good metal vent onto them quite easily.... I might just do that!!!

Even a spring loaded vent that you have to press down with your thumb to release the vacuum maybe.....would be OK.

Canada - Member -  Member

Location: Hamburg NY (just south of buffalo) pre-Hamburg(1998) home was the Yukon territory of Canada
Good Answers: 27

06/10/2015 6:57 AM

I use these personally......www.ezpourspout.com
Convert any of the new stupid cans to what works..

Location: Hamburg NY (just south of buffalo) pre-Hamburg(1998) home was the Yukon territory of Canada

06/10/2015 6:59 AM

forgot to add the pic....

In reply to #21

06/10/2015 11:30 AM

GA. I'm going to have to see where I can can buy this kit. I really miss the old style cans with the little vent because while filling, you can use your thumb over the vent to precisely control the fill rate. I never spilled so much gasoline until the 'new' cans were forced into the marketplace.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #23

06/10/2015 12:23 PM

tractor supply carries them here in NY. Can't sell them if they say "for Gasoline" on the packaging tho.....

In reply to #26

06/11/2015 11:29 AM

Thanks, I know where to look for them when I go out to visit friends in the Shenandoah Valley. I didn't see them at my local Southern States here in Annapolis.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #29

06/11/2015 11:34 AM

best thing about these is the vent comes with it. so back to thumb control for flow..

Good Answers: 24

06/10/2015 11:05 AM

There should be an award for bad design.

I just filled up two of the new "improved" containers as hurricane season is upon us again. I smelled gas on the way back, sure enough, one of these modern marvels is cracked along the seam at the top. These containers are stored inside out of the sunlight and used maybe once a month. This is third one that has cracked. in the same area, after 2 or 3 yrs.

I found a metal jerry can supplier on ebay for a nominal price, but they don't ship outside CONUS.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 20

06/11/2015 12:58 AM

I cant understand the warning label " Poisonous Gas "? From what little I understand about poisonous Gas, wouldn't that be like something a fumigator uses ? Shouldn't the warning be " Hazardous Liquid " ? Sounds like the audio for the video was written by the same folks who write " made in China ", instruction manuals.

Register to Reply
Guru

06/11/2015 1:00 PM

If by chance you have an old Volkswagen beetle, your fuel pump quits and you have a ski rack, you can use the spare tire powered window washer fluid bottle, filled from the vehicle tank with an "Oklahoma credit card" as a temporary gravity-feed fuel tank by strapping it to the ski rack, slightly loosening the filler cap (vent) and attaching the hose directly to the carburetor.

Good Answers: 47

08/29/2015 5:56 PM

Here a simple way to put a vent on these "new" cans or if you lost the cap for the old ones in some cases.

Take a bolt in schrader valve stem that's used on car rims. Take the guts out of it and get the metal caps though the plastic works.

Now drill a hole for the stem to fit snugly through near the handle on top opposite from the spout, the spot must be in the main part of the can not the hollow of the handle. That could cause problems. Clean any shavings out of the can.

To install take a stiff wire that will go through the valve stem. Make a loop/hook on the end of the wire to keep the valve stem form falling off and to help pull it into place. Now bend the wire in an arc that will go from the spout side through to the hole that was drilled.

Insert through the spout side to the drilled hole pull into place install washer and nut over the wire then tighten in place, feed the wire back through the spout side put cap on valve stem.

Install done.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (4); Brave Sir Robin (4); dkwarner (1); gringogreg (1); JWthetech (1); lonster (4); lyn (2); Massey (1); metalSmiths (1); ozzb (1); SolarEagle (2); tcmtech (1); tonyhemet (1); Unredundant (5); Usbport (1); WJMFIRE (1); Wrench twirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Home Built Solar Heater   Next in Forum: Metric Nut Job!

Advertisement