CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Help Needed with Education Path Choices within ENG and PSY   Next in Forum: Seeking Pulse-ox Engineer/Mathematician
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Commentator
Papua New Guinea - Member - Hubert O'oru Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Maintenance Engineer Career Paths

06/22/2015 7:45 PM

Hey Gurus, Experts, Amateurs, Friends & Foes, All intellects and all participants.

This is a general question. What senior career paths can maintenance engineers accomplish in the engineering field? lets see what potentials there is for one.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 90

Re: Maintenance Engineer Career Paths

06/22/2015 9:47 PM

Usually they become maintenance managers but a few make it to become general managers in a food outlet!

Its all up the the participating intellect.

Good Answers: 1543

06/22/2015 10:11 PM

The can become senior maintenance engineers.

Are you an aspiring student, or a junior maintenance engineer now?

Register to Reply
Commentator
Papua New Guinea - Member - Hubert O'oru Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

06/24/2015 2:25 AM

Lynn, the latter. THanks for the assistance. shows some light at the end of the tunnel

Good Answers: 1062

06/22/2015 10:16 PM

Mostly end up taking care of large property on-site maintenance crew....potential to become general manager of large property holding...

In reply to #3

06/23/2015 12:04 AM

Thats not what I said!

Good Answers: 1062
In reply to #5

06/23/2015 12:42 AM

It is what it is says he...

This could be you ....

In reply to #6

06/23/2015 5:18 AM

Nope, too low and wrong color!

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

06/22/2015 11:40 PM

Anything you want to. Maintenance is an excellent opportunity, if you pay attention, for you to find out about many projects and processes that are being worked on at your site or other sites. No one else has the opportunity to see so much, meet the important people and make a constant good contribution to the corp. That will be noticed. It all depends upon you.

If you have an inquisitive mind the maintenance engineer/manager position provides you with the most exposure to the "real stuff". The job can become a high pressure one, either because you are not doing it or because you are leading and advancing your personnel and dept to become better and more valuable to all others.

In maintenance you will be noticed. Good if you apply yourself technically and personnel management wise. Bad if you don't get the job done. Not only do you depend upon your tools and etc., but most important your people skills. You are only as good as your personnel are.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #4

06/24/2015 1:10 AM

I agree with you Mr. Old Salt

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #4

06/24/2015 3:35 AM

Old Salt, I for one always appreciate your positive outlook on life, which shows through in your comments here.

Personally,I feel that, although it has provided me with some benefits in life, Maintenance is a dead-end for anyone with ambition, and boring to the point of baldness and flatulence!

Bear in mind, that one needs to enter a specific field eg mechanical, electrical etc..

Any company that has a career path for you is large enough not to hire general handymen. I feel that mechanical engineering may be the worst..after three years or so, surely a pump is a pump, a valve is a valve and a turbine is a turbine, while a tube bundle remains a tube bundle., with infrequent challenges arising from the original design, that could stimulate you from time-time. Sometimes, it can be high-pressure work, like breakdowns in production line equipment (there is an adrenalin rush!), but generally Ho-hum work, and you've got to keep your staff motivated.

Many years ago, I worked in a dockyard doing repair to passing shipping, and confess that was never boring. So many different nationalities of people to meet and work with. Dirtiest job I ever had, but I was young enough to enjoy every minute!

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

In reply to #13

06/25/2015 12:38 AM

My comments were based on the career paths that a few of my professional (some of which are now personal friends) "engineering types from all disciplines" friends have had. Yes, I loved working with my hands most but I used that as a "sanity pleasure" away from the company environment. Career wise some of my most productive moves or assignments were those I developed by training my personnel in maintenance directly or through their managers/foremen to do the best job possible for the advancement of the corp. and their skills (and me!)

How can an engineer knock on the door of the president or other higher-up and say something to the sort of "Hi Joe, Everything to your satisfaction here in the corner office? We want to improve things here so let us know next time you are travelling so we can make some changes that will help you." The project engineer can't do this as easily nor can the process engineer. Maintenance opens up so many opportunities if you look for them. The best way for it is through your people. Get them doing a very good job professionally grade level and your results becomes more noticed.

Once walked into the CEO's office while he was there. Noticed a picture of a big fishing boat on his wall. The conversation started from there and two weeks later he was sailing with me on my boat as a personal and not company guest. Within a month we went deep sea fishing on his families boat. Six months later I got a promotion and a hefty raise. Within a year I left there because the family didn't want to relocate to across the country. Stayed in the area and was making almost twice what I was making 3 years before and a better more liked job. It works. Besides everyone needs a maintenance dept. With out you and your efforts nothing happens.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #19

06/25/2015 3:29 AM

This is part of why the job becomes boring. You were not recognized for your professionalism, but rather your personal attributes.

It's lonely at the top, and the CEO is seldom able to make personal friends at the workplace, let alone someone with similar interests, and your bait was taken like the last cookie on the plate at a birthday party!

Alas, I was never in such a close position...only there to argue against Senior Management decisions, and that doesn't make friends (or money ), especially if you win!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

06/25/2015 5:21 PM

I probably should have made my point clearer. I did a good job of straightening out a dysfunctional dept. with personnel that were talked about more for their hiding places, smoking in the wrong places, rude to all others besides their "buddies", having to do "call backs" numerous times till things were right and staring at the eye candy. As I was handling the improvement of the personnel I also paid close attention to the technical end. As things improved with the personnel my recognition improved and more and more people from other depts. came to get our input on projects, processes, potential maintenance problems for projects, etc. As things improved others listened to our depts. personnel and they got recognized for their turn around of our performance. We were then known as the "go to guys/ladies". Many of these personnel shared in the more openings and opportunities for advancements and transfers to other depts.

When I walked into the CEO's office there was already a mechanic, working out of his trade, there who came on his own to solve a problem that he knew how to take care of. Last I heard that "kid" with hardly any education at the time is now a plant project engineer. It takes time, the correct attitude, willingness to invest in the future, putting up with some really bad bosses, and most of all making the people who work for you the best at everything they can be. One guy I had as a maintenance engineer is now Director of Manufacturing as a nearby chemical manufacturer making dangerous, difficult to make and valuable chemicals. He runs the plant and the only one above him is the owner.

It can work but don't let the temporary setbacks get you down. One trait many have is to work only for today ("putting out fires") and forget their paths to tomorrow. Nautical saying "one hand for the ship and one hand for yourself". Don't put all your efforts for them, think and perform for yourself too. It doesn't work for everyone but it sure works for a lot of Maintenance personnel.

Good Luck, Old Salt

In reply to #22

07/02/2015 10:00 AM

Don't mind my cynicism, Old Salt! Just walked a different path through the bushes, and stepped on some snakes, lurking there with malice. Some have passed on, while some remain.....

My life is based on a true story!

Register to Reply
Commentator

06/23/2015 10:45 PM

well this is my experience as a maintenance engineer I worked hard and learnt engineering design (taught my self) now I am a consultant my maintenance experience is the foundation for MEP &Building services consultancy work that pays rich dividend

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 14

06/24/2015 1:28 AM

During recent years maintenance department has become the sub sect of Facilities management domain. Under facility management domain one has more opportunities to grow in his/her professional carrier.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #10

06/24/2015 2:04 AM

Facilities manager need not be maintenance engineer as long as he manages the facility,

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

06/24/2015 7:18 AM

Here is experience of my friend. He left naval job and joined big auto mfr. as maintenance engineer. He worked very hard and was summoned in middle of night for breakdown jobs. He became Maintenance Manager at peak of his career. He was about to retire, he told me that he is so tired of the job that he will take rest. He said he will get up at 10.00 am have his breakfast at 11.00am and go to sleep only to get up at 2.00pm to have his lunch. Again he would go to sleep and get up at 5.00 pm. and go for a walk.

He would take his dinner at 11.00 pm. at sleep till morning 10.00 am. He could not get sleep during his lifetime so he was wanted to compensate after his retirement. Poor soul died after 5 years.

In reply to #14

06/24/2015 7:31 AM

So sad ! You sure he's not just taking another nap ?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #15

06/24/2015 7:39 AM

Yes he is taking his permanent nap.

In reply to #16

06/24/2015 7:41 AM

Maintenance will do that to you....

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #15

06/25/2015 1:03 AM

maintenance engineers job is thankless job No respect for the job done

Register to Reply
Guru
Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #20

06/30/2015 8:27 AM

No respect for a job well done is just a sign of ignorance as they probably did not understand what was involved, how it was done etc.. No matter what the job is, if it is done well, recognition should be given, something I make a point of all the time. Too bad more people aren't willing to do the same,

In reply to #23

06/30/2015 8:46 AM

Careful Kevin.........people might start liking you... especially those that report to you. Senior managers don't understand that, and believe it is a sign of weakness or loss of control. It's true what they say: "When you look down, you see a pile of sh*t, and when you look up you see a bunch of a-holes".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

07/02/2015 8:55 AM

I'm afraid it may be too late for me. I've always treated everyone one the same way regardless of what position they had.

Every position in any organization has an important part to play, even the floor sweeper or other so-called menial job. I don't see it as "liking" more in terms of mutual respect, which, of course, has to be earned.

Guru

06/24/2015 9:45 AM

The possibilities should be endless. What is your training field?? As a maintenance engineer you should get to see all the problems that occur during manufacture of the product. This should give you a leg up when it comes to designing product, and specifying equipment as you know what can go wrong.

Hopefully you are(will be) working for a progressive company which does not just slot people into positions and have them stay there. Take care of your assigned tasks but do not be afraid to ask for more(just don't let the new tasks interfere with the assigned ones) if you have the time to do them. If you don't think you have time to do extra tasks, take a good look at how you are doing things now and see if you can streamline your tasks to make extra time available. This will get exposed to other parts of the business, and do not be afraid to ask for extra work outside of engineering fields.

Personally, I have been a Plant Engineer responsible for all aspects of maintenance and construction in few companies, but was allowed to branch out into purchasing, human resources and yes, even accounting among other areas.

Served me well, as I now own my own business. If you take on extra work, it should pay off in the long run, but don't expect it to happen overnight.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Hilton (6); hubertooru (1); IdeaSmith (3); Kevin LaPaire (3); lyn (1); mrswamy (1); murali (3); old salt (3); SolarEagle (2); suresh sharma (2); wirestan (1)

Previous in Forum: Help Needed with Education Path Choices within ENG and PSY   Next in Forum: Seeking Pulse-ox Engineer/Mathematician

Advertisement