CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®
Login | Register for Engineering Community (CR4)

Previous in Forum: ASME Specification For ID Controlled Pipes   Next in Forum: Carbon Brush
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

IG Grooving Tool for Brass

07/11/2015 12:25 AM

Any one can help in id grooving turning in brass ,

deep5 m.m groov length 50 m.m dia 220 m.m corner radius 0.4 m.m

which tool is best

with parameter and method of turning

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1532

Re: ig grooving tool for brass

07/11/2015 1:34 AM

A boring bar.

Really, if you have to ask, get help.

Cutting Grooves on a Lathe and YouTube Trolls - YouTube

AP's are a pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 61
In reply to #1

07/11/2015 1:45 AM

That they are. Obviously they have no clue what a lathe even looks like let alone how to set it up

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #1

07/11/2015 6:37 AM

Dang I really need to check for replies before submitting mine after getting distracted and taking 2 hours to finish it. Might be missing a limb, but maybe he'll be back.

Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

07/11/2015 1:40 AM

id grooving turning in brass? You might start with a basic metal shop class. There you"ll all about metal lathes, how to set them up and operate them. there are something you have to learn hands on and I believe thats one of them

07/11/2015 5:46 AM

An inserted ID grooving bar with an insert that has .4 mm radius' of course!! :)

1) What's the distance to the end of the groove (tailstock end of part to the headstock side of the groove?

2) What kind of machine and what kind of tooling do you have at your disposal?

3) What material? There are different brass alloys that may impact the answer.

4) Is this a one off part? If not, how many are in the lot?

5) Is this a "one off" that is for 1st article inspection?

As you're an anonymous poster I doubt you'll be back to answer any of these questions, unless you're actually watching for replies.

If be glad to help out if you came back

But honestly, ID grooving, or anything performed on a piece brass with an ID of 220mm (assuming that's what's you meant) should be trivial.

But considering the cost of that material and your question I'd be considering handing this work off to an experienced machinist.

Active Contributor

In reply to #4

07/12/2015 11:49 PM

Thanks for being interested

Od-260 m.m,

Id-215 m.m

Groov dia-225 m.m

width of job-62 m.m

groove width-47.m.m

Material-brass cu,zn al sc alloy.if require i will give you detail.

Machine cnc machine capacity of machine-300 dia

only single piece to be produce (no parting)

we have regular production ,but with grooving tool we are getting vc-300,

depth of cut 1 m.m,feed-0.15 max,

in each batch we have to produce -300 pc,

by grooving method -we have very lees tool life.

and by turning we are using nutral tool then lh &rh dcgt insert to finish the both end.

Thanks,

Associate

In reply to #8

07/13/2015 5:57 AM

That's a lot of material to be removing with a grooving tool, off the shelf grooving tools/inserts aren't made for that kind of cutting, as you have found out with the long cycle time/poor tool life.

Just an FYI, I'm not an expert machinist, just designed CNC tools and picked up some stuff making simple prototypes for new designs and show machines. Engineers were tasked with finishing the assembly of prototypes for shows like WESTEC after the regular production guys put the major parts together/squared machine, ball barred, etc. We'd machine prototype parts for assembly problems as well if time was getting tight. Point is, don't take anything I say as rules or law.

I just read your response again, and it looks like my proposed advice is already being used. Although why not ditch the neutral tool and just use the LH and RH tools? You can break the groove into triangle sections and finish one side of the groove, then switch to the other tool and finish the rest of the groove.

You can also check out sandvik's bear paw grooving tooling. This is for heavy duty external grooving and they have neutral inserts just shy of 20mm wide. Looking at the shank it would fit inside your OK, but radius is around .7mm. Don't know what your tolerance is on that. You'd have to get creative with the tooling to get the shank all the way into your part, but if it can be done your cycle times would drop like a rock simply because the bear paw inserts are wide and made to remove material in bulk. Even if you had to change tools to a neutral grooving insert to meet the corner radius you'd still probably be very far ahead.

But these inserts are definitely not cheap.

Don't know what size shop you're in, but the tooling suppliers are your friends. As your problem is well defined they should be able to help you out.
There are many more suppliers besides Sandvik, so I'd be making some calls while just using the RH and LH tools with cheap inserts while consulting with the tooling manufacturers.

But like I said, I"m not a machinist, I'm an engineer, so you can take the ditching of the neutral tool, RH and LH with a grain of salt (although I think thats how I would do it as you're cutting from 3 tools to 2.

Definitelly heed the advice on talking with the tooling guys though. We had a crapload of custom tools made for us to decrease cycle times and setups in the machining of castings and parts in the shop.

Steve

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 730

07/12/2015 2:40 AM

If the bore and tool sizes match, the id feels groovy. If the bore is too large, consult the enhancement spammers.

Re: IG Grooving Tool for Brass

07/12/2015 9:10 AM

Are You talking about a "KEYWAY" when you say GROOVE?

This can be done on a lathe for a one off part but a shaper would be the tool to use.

oilcan13

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 49

07/13/2015 12:38 PM

This part is being produced on a CNC lathe....

Are there NO machinists there that have the competency to set it up and cut it?

That is such a simple cut....

Why are you coming to a forum, you should be talking to your Senior Machinist.

In reply to #10

07/13/2015 1:24 PM

He's going for Brownie points and a Pay Raise at our expense

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dj95401 (3); himanshu.parekh (1); Iceberg86300 (3); lyn (1); oilcan13 (1); Original_Macgyver (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: ASME Specification For ID Controlled Pipes   Next in Forum: Carbon Brush

Advertisement