CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?   Next in Forum: Engineering Management Education
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Participant

Mobile Application for Engineering Notes

07/23/2015 4:36 AM

Hi,

I am creating an android app to help mechanical engineering student. Hence as part of customer insight i have created a survey . Please resopnd the survey on following link , this will give me more clear idea.

http://goo.gl/forms/Y7JQktTTPD

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1586

Re: Mobile Application for Engineering Notes

07/23/2015 7:18 AM

I left the survey after it asked me if I was related to an engineering field.

Are you related to engineering field?

• Yes
  • No
Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

07/23/2015 7:57 AM

Well,

This survey is made for general public. Not every one is an engineer.

Register to Reply
Commentator
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #2

07/23/2015 9:23 AM

He means you need to work on your phrasing.

a better question would be...

Do you work in a field related to Engineering?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1586
In reply to #2

07/23/2015 12:20 PM

red_fish is right.

Good grammar should be practiced by all.

You gave human attributes to an inanimate object by saying "Are you related to engineering field?"

See "personification: Personification | Define Personification at Dictionary.com

Good luck with the survey.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

07/23/2015 10:12 AM

Not a very detailed survey.

I wouldn't be able to sketch something on paper with those questions?!?

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 350

07/23/2015 3:48 PM

I looked at the survey but didn't fill it in as I don't think the app idea is a very good one in this case. The following will explain my reasons why and hopefully be far more insightful.

When I revise I go through the notes and manually write out say 5-10% of the key subject matter and restudy that.

Now here's the thing, I have to look and see what parts of the subject matter are important and what parts I am weakest in that are important, then I write it all out and the action of me writing it out helps me remember the subject matter.

With an app both of these actions are eliminated and all you are left with is an app that teaches you to learn likely test questions and answers based on previous test papers (for example), rather than trying to tailor a study session around an individual's personal needs? There are plenty of free sites already offering this and even the Universities give away past exam papers.

Am I right, or are you actually trying to develop a more complicated app that tailors itself to the individual?

The reason I ask is that dumbing down the learning process by just giving the student the likely answers to tests is not a good idea. Heck, you don't even need to understand or even take the course to have a moderate chance of passing this way, and based on some of the questions on CR4 that is what some people do.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

07/23/2015 11:40 PM

Before this app., you should be writing one for spelling and grammar errors. It would be directed towards people who write things but they can not be understood by the target population.

I'm not confident that you know the questions let alone the answers for a survey.

Good Luck, Old Salt

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jack of all trades (1); lyn (2); old salt (1); omkarpalkar (1); Original_Macgyver (1); red_fish (1)

Previous in Forum: Can You Make Change For a Dollar Without a Cash Register?   Next in Forum: Engineering Management Education

Advertisement