CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Robot a Murder   Next in Forum: How to Reduce Torque Miss Defects on Engine Assembly Line
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

Standardization of Industrial Fluid Filtration Terminology and Specifications

08/15/2015 9:44 AM

A colleague recently asked me a question; "how do you tell what the micron rating of a filter paper really is"? Simple, I told him; poor a known sample through the barrier and count what comes out the other side. Only if it were so, right? As I move into my new role heading up a filter company sales force I can't get away from my tech side. There is shenanigans in all marketed science, but this filtration arena has more than its fair share. It is my #1 goal to establish provable standards for liquid filtration media, and then hold my company accountable for transparency. I enjoy a position of a little influence in the US Automotive manufacturing arena. What answers we share here will find there way into future specifications. Care to help? Some questions:

What do you count as defined variables in a fluid stream?

What effect does affinity have on particulate as it relates to barrier filtration?

What experiences can you share on your own learning curve using various solutions?

"Velocity separation can only remove particulate 2.5 time the specific gravity of the carrier fluid" Smartest guy I knew in the business told me that 25 years ago. So; why do so many people buy static vessels claiming to clean down to 10 micron? Is it 10 micron black hole particulate?

Depth filtration: how is it impacted by various devices?

If particulate filters particulate, why remove particulate before the barrier? Ie: magnets etc.

More is sure to come...

Joe T.

Detroit, USA

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1542

Re: Standardization of Industrial Fluid Filtration Terminology and Specifications

08/15/2015 1:52 PM

What have you learned over the years? Since you come from the tech side, one would think you would already know the answer.

And the term filter is so broad as to be almost useless.

I'd reconnect with my technical side.

Your questions are "odd" at best, sounding more like job interview questions than anything else.

Specifications and Regulations - Camfil

How to Determine Air Filter Specifications | Universal Air Filter

Procurement Guideline - National Air Filtration Association

Air Filters (industrial) Specifications | IHS Engineering360

Filter Specifications and Efficiencies: Fundamental Changes ...

Register to Reply
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 200

Re: Standardization of Industrial Fluid Filtration Terminology and Specifications

08/16/2015 8:20 AM

Your post troubles me!

Why would you want to "establish provable standards for liquid filtration media"? when there are already known and testable standards available worldwide.

I suspect that you will also find there are other criteria that have nothing to do with the particle size. (Like the ash content for scientific filter media or "neutrality" for those used in water analysis.)

Why remove particles before a filter? Probably because there is some history of those particles damaging the filter media.

We have a few filter sets of varoious performance. Sand filters, settling beds, filter papers for laboratory work, membrane filters and even some vortex devices. Each has a specific task to perform. Some are expected to provide 100% exclusion or particles to size "x", while others are only expected to remove 95%.

My advice if you are heading up a sales force is to tell them all the following.

First ask the customer "What do you want?" then LISTEN!

And then listen some more!

And after that,consult with the designers to confirmthat they can deliver that expectation.

You will have happy customers and happy support staff.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

08/20/2015 10:09 AM

Partial reply: Depth filtration: how is it impacted by various devices?

Depth filtration depends on many things and devices to effect it. High velocity will disturb the accumulated retained materials which will force it further into the filter media. This reduces the available filtering openings thus reducing the flow through the filter media. As the pores become clogged the effective pore size is reduced since many of the larger pores are clogged and fewer large pores are available.

Turbulence in the flow such as from a pump, especially from a pulsating pump, will disturb more of the accumulated solids and force them deeper into the filter media. This can begin the clogging of the filter media.

Greater depth of the filter media reduces the flow of solids getting through the filter media but also increases the flow from the greater available contact area. It also decreases filter flow rates due to the increase in the number of particles being separated and caking.

Two good resources of information are MILLIPORE http://www.emdmillipore.com/US/en/life-science-research/chromatography-sample-preparation/filtration-products/O3Wb.qB.CnUAAAFBw_plvzI_,nav?cid=BI-XX-BSP-P-GOOG-ASP0-B343-1010

and PALL http://www.pall.com/main/food-and-beverage/product.page?id=46837

Good Luck, Old Salt

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Just an Engineer (1); lyn (1); old salt (1)

Previous in Forum: Robot a Murder   Next in Forum: How to Reduce Torque Miss Defects on Engine Assembly Line

Advertisement