CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Social Media Behaviour of Engineers   Next in Forum: Managing Health and Safety in the Construction Industry
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Opening a T16 Wild Vertical Circle

08/18/2015 5:03 PM

I have a Wild T16. The vertical circle does not move. it only shows the V on top and the scale from 0 to 60 under. Nothing moves. I removed the 4 screws on the vertical side. Nothing seems to move. There is probably some sealant keeping everything together. Would I break anything if I tried to take the cover off? If it is too risky I will not try it. The horizontal circle is working perfectly. TIA

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1543

Re: Opening a T16 Wild vertical circle

08/18/2015 5:43 PM

I have a WWII French (I think) field artillery theodolite.

I took the cover off of it and It never worked properly again.

These things are precision instruments.

Have a professional, or Wild, fix it.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1062

08/18/2015 5:43 PM
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 167

08/18/2015 5:44 PM

Has it been unused for a long time? If so, probably the lubricant has hardened to a point of stickiness.

I don't have any experience with this piece of equipment, but sounds like you're going to have to take it apart to clean the mating surfaces and apply fresh lubricant.

Do you feel that you have enough confidence in your abilities to do that and not mess anything up?

Have you looked on-line for technical information on this theodolite?

This might help:

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-6675-312-14.pdf

Mike

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #3

08/18/2015 6:24 PM

If it's the one I used in the Forest Service during the summers of 1968 and 1969, no wonder it could be stuck.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 50

Re: Opening a T16 Wild Vertical Circle

08/19/2015 9:35 AM

If you don't have the experience with these instruments then please listen to the comments already posted.

Send it to a tech if you ever want to work correctly again!

I had this Zeiss Auto level and one little bump and it was out of calibration. There aren't too many things that can go wrong on this unit.

Yours is a different story.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Still a New Member

08/20/2015 2:27 AM

I used to bulls eye womp rats in my T16 back home

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member

Good Answers: 201

08/20/2015 9:23 AM

Used WILD T-12 and T-2 theodolites in college. Someone thought there was a need to fix the T-2. There wasn't!. He started fooling with it and broke something. We now lost the use of it for 3 months while it was repaired, 2 months of that waiting for parts and one month waiting for the repair shop to get to it. Now we had a very lonely Sub tense Bar waiting for its mate.

Ironically the instrument had made numerous trips to the wilds around Fairbanks, AK, during the summers but one idiot put it out of service. Got back to the lower 48 and was out for service within a week. Unless you are a very experienced WILD service person with a large stock of parts, let the professionals repair it. Their talents are a very wise investment. Would you do your own heart surgery or dental work?

Good Luck, Old Salt

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 10

09/23/2015 10:09 PM

Sounds like you're talking about the vertical vernier, and that at least one of the knobs is missing...

Gather up all remaining parts, and get thee to an appropriate surveying equipment repair service provider, post haste...

I was on the Redwood National Park boundary survey, way back in the ''day'', and danged if those little fellers didn't just hop off, when I wasn't lookin'...

I worked a little on the Bald Hills Road Traverse, and a lot on the Holter Ridge Traverse, portions of that job (eleven different survey crews on the southern portion, and not single ''crummy'' had every thing workin' on'em that they should have... not even walkie-talkies...)

Ahhhh, the good old rotten days of life on the Surrrrrrrrveyyyyy....)

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BubbleRob (1); lyn (1); Mikerho (1); MR. Guest (1); old salt (1); Original_Macgyver (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Social Media Behaviour of Engineers   Next in Forum: Managing Health and Safety in the Construction Industry

Advertisement