CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How to Reduce Torque Miss Defects on Engine Assembly Line   Next in Forum: 2.0mm Music Wire
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 38

Anti-Trip Hose Cover

08/24/2015 3:36 PM

Years ago, when I was working as a machinist, I remember these 6" or 8" wide rubber strips that were put on top of rubber air hoses that ran along the floor; blow-off hoses for the machines. They were there so people wouldn't trip on the hoses. Beveled on each side like a speed bump. And low profile.

I look for them now, and all I see is big hard plastic types that you can drive across. Or really narrow ones, about 3" wide that are too light to stay in place. What I've found are listed as "cable protectors". I'm not sure if those are what I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can get the wide rubber ones? Or what they are called?

Register to Reply
User-tagged by 1 user
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 79

Re: Anti-Trip Hose Cover

08/24/2015 4:02 PM
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #1

08/24/2015 4:37 PM

Those are similar to what I'm looking for, but I believe what I'm looking for was made specifically for machine shop floors, for air hoses. Not so much to protect whats under it, but more to just prevent tripping and stay within OSHA standards.

And these you showed me appear to be only available in Europe. I'm in the States. But thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

08/24/2015 4:40 PM

With OSHA the cure may be worse than the ailment.

Floor Cord Covers

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98

08/24/2015 4:59 PM

Roadies and stagehands use duct tape, maybe some sort of heavy-duty tape?

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 118

08/24/2015 5:59 PM

In reply to #5

08/25/2015 10:34 AM

Thank you. I've already done the obvious and performed image searches just like these three links you've sent, before even coming here. This didn't work, that's why I've posted the question on CR4.

As I've said, most of these are hard plastic and fairly high profile. Or they have a very small base to height ratio, which makes them even more of a trip hazard than the hose alone would cause. The steep angles on many make it hard for shop cart (golf cart) to traverse, and the hard plastic and light weight also makes them prone to just slide along in front of wheels of said shop cart. The hinged ones are also prone to the hinged top flipping open at inopportune times.

The closest thing to what I'm searching for is this:

The features it has that I require are: 1. open bottom for quick lay down and pick up over hose (which also gives it a lower profile); 2. large base to height ratio makes it less "trippy"; 3. flexible dense rubber gives it some heft to stay in place, less slippage, and easy to cut to length.

Unfortunately, this one image did not lead to any usable site, nor identifying information. I believe the ones I've seen in the past were specifically for air hose on shop floors, and not just generically for electrical cables. So searching "cable covers" isn't really giving me the right category.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

08/24/2015 6:35 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

08/25/2015 7:56 PM

This might work if I trimmed the slot much wider. But I can't find a US source for it. But thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98

08/25/2015 10:46 AM

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 15

08/25/2015 7:03 PM

link

These are good for 3/4 inch.
I have some and it is split on th ebottom. Their pic does not show the split.

TRY 2

In reply to #9

08/25/2015 7:59 PM

Thanx silvCrow. Like I told Fredski, yours might also work if I trim the slot much wider with a box cutter. This one is sold in the US. I might go with this if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Location: Savannah, GA. The post office decided to change my address again.
Good Answers: 19

08/25/2015 10:40 PM

http://www.uline.com/BL_587/Cable-Protectors
Something like this?

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.(Lord Chesterfield)
Register to Reply

09/18/2015 2:55 AM

Yancheng Laiyuan Electric Equipments Co.Ltd. supply industrial heater for heating process.

www.china-laiyuan.com

CR4 ADMIN - email address removed

From the CR4 Rules: Do not post phone numbers or email addresses. The CR4 Admin will delete all phone numbers and email addresses posted in threads or comments. You can share this information via the CR4 internal messaging system.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (1); Fredski (1); laiyuan-heater (1); lyn (1); Nigh (1); Out of Box Experience (4); silvCrow (1); Unredundant (2); Wrench twirler (1)

Previous in Forum: How to Reduce Torque Miss Defects on Engine Assembly Line   Next in Forum: 2.0mm Music Wire

Advertisement