Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Participant

2.0mm Music Wire

08/26/2015 7:04 AM

Good morning all,

Any ideas on how to better control 2.0mm music wire cut off burr.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 447

Re: MR

08/26/2015 7:07 AM

What are you using to cut it?

08/26/2015 7:12 AM

Grindz it, junge!

Peeewee

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #2

08/26/2015 9:19 AM

Peeewee,
You're not clever, not cute, not funny, not very smart and not helping anyone.
Trolls aren't either. Why don't you sit on your hands for the next 5 years.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 85
In reply to #6

08/27/2015 9:26 AM

Lyn, Lyn, Lyn...

I know you're frustrated with Peewee, we all are to some extent, but you could try to put a little STYLE into your snark.

How about this one, for example, "Peewee, you think you're a wit, but you're only half-right." That one slams him and yet is entertaining for the rest of us to read.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 756

08/26/2015 7:39 AM

Better than what? What is the problem with how you are doing it now?

It would be so much cooler if you use an industrial cutting laser!

Then again, a really cool technique would be to dip the wire in LN2 and then cleave it while it is still cold.

Good Answers: 90

08/26/2015 7:45 AM

Yes! Don't have any!

Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 200

08/26/2015 8:22 AM

I presume that it's the 2mm wire you are cutting.

Depends on the cutting method and how the wire can exit.

Worst form is opposing tapered blades (like sidecutters) that pinch their way through.

Next worst is guilotine with two flat blades. (Draws burr into blade gap.)

Best is two "holes" in sliding plates. Wire is supported on both anvil and blade for 50% of circumference. That is, pass the wire through aligned 2.0+mm holes in two matched flat pieces of hard material until reach desired length then slide the two relative to each other to sliche the wire.

Ask a spring manufacturer, as they typically use "pianno wire" to make springs and cut many thousands per run.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

08/26/2015 9:25 AM

this makes a clean cut

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Associate

In reply to #7

08/27/2015 3:27 AM

NOpe

Peeewee

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 85
In reply to #7

08/27/2015 9:39 AM

That reminds me of a story:

A priest, a Gambler and an Engineer were scheduled to all be beheaded on the same day. The headsman turns to the priest and says "You're first, you want to go in face up or face down."

The Priest replies, "Face up, so I may look upon the heavens and my Lord as I go to meet Him."

The Headsman places the Priest into the guillotine face up and pulls the lever. The blade drops with blinding speed ... and stops mere inches from the Priest's neck. The Headsman opens the restraint and lets the Priest go free. "The Lord has spoken," the priest says as he descends from the platform.

The Headsman then turns to the Gambler, "Your turn, face up or face down."

The Gambler says, "I may not be on as good a term with God as the Cleric is, but I'll go face up too and take my chances."

The Headsman puts the Gambler in face up, pulls the lever, and the blade stops in almost the same spot as it did for the Priest. The Headsman frees the Gambler, who descends the platform saying, "That was the best coin-flip call of my life."

"Last one," the Headsman says to the Engineer, "Up or down?"

The Engineer says, "No sense breaking the pattern, I'll go up as well."

The Headsman puts the Engineer in face up, and right before he pulls the lever, the engineer calls out, "Oh, I think I see the cause of the sticky track problem!"

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98

Re: 2.0mm Music Wire

08/26/2015 4:17 PM

If losing tempering at the end is not an issue, you could fix the wire between to contacts and apply high current/low voltage. This would leave a globule on the ends.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

08/26/2015 10:41 PM

Just An Engineer's answer is very good. Music wire is hardened and tempered, really difficult to cut. The cutter he mentions must have tool steel blades, probably doable by drilling holes in tool steel with electrical discharge equipment or drilling the holes before the tool steel is hardened.

I use my Dremel tool, with a diamond wheel. I cut the wire and then give the wire a quick spin on an angle to de-burr it. Gives the wire a nice beveled edge.

I use the music wire for handrails on model railroad locomotives.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #9

08/27/2015 5:06 AM

How about some quality pictures or a weblink. I love such work, especially looking at a fine result!!

Thanks in advance.

Good Answers: 27

08/27/2015 7:26 AM

You could perhaps use the sort of welder found on metal cutting bandsaws to weld the blade together. It is a resistance welder that pushes the cut ends together. If you make it work in reverse; i.e. apply current then PULL apart. A little experimenting with time and current settings could get the required result.

Jim

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 756

08/27/2015 7:39 AM

Grinding the cut with an abrasive wheel should produce a clean cut.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 79

08/27/2015 4:01 PM

Hi CBrown,

Welcome to CR4. You question is not clear. Are you wanting better control of the wires, or the burr? Is 2mm the diameter of the wire or the length of the burr? Is the wire magnetic? How much control do you have now?

-S

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Andy Germany (1); Fredski (1); IdeaSmith (1); JIMRAT (1); JohnDG (1); Just an Engineer (1); lyn (1); mike k (1); PeeeWee (2); redfred (2); StandardsGuy (1); Unredundant (1)

Previous in Forum: Anti-Trip Hose Cover   Next in Forum: 30W ECM Blower

Advertisement