CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Thinking About Going From Contract to Full Time, What Salary Should I Expect?   Next in Forum: Building Engineering
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Participant

2nd Shift Engineering Positions

09/02/2015 1:27 PM

Hello everyone:

I am about to graduate with a EE Master's degree. I have not worked as a engineer yet. Basically went from bachelors to a master's program. Due to certain family circumstances, I really desire a 2nd shift position. However, it seems they are few and far between. Do any of you guys know any companies/entities/positions that one could work 2nd shift?? Even though my background is in electrical engineering, I realize many engineering positions just require an engineering degree. Meaning, it does not have to be an electrical engineering position. I appreciate any suggestions on this matter. Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 981

Re: 2nd shift engineering positions

09/02/2015 1:36 PM

What is your location....??

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 678

Re: 2nd shift engineering positions

09/02/2015 1:36 PM

Contact recruitment agencies with this desire in mind. The forum knows nothing of location and available industries in that area, whereas recruitment agencies are in touch with this network and are in an ideal position to assist.

Go into this for the long haul.

Good luck.

<unsubscribed>

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

Re: 2nd Shift Engineering Positions

09/02/2015 2:16 PM

take what you can get! you can get picky after you get a little seasoning

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

09/02/2015 2:34 PM

First, you should always read the FAQ's and rules for posting.

Always.

If you had read the FAQ"s you would have seen this statement: Include your country/region if needed. Some questions can only be answered "correctly" if people know where you are in the world. For example, wall plug and voltage standards are different in the U.S. than in Europe.

In short, no one knows where you are. See #1 above.

Where are you seeking this position? A particular city, region, country?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 120

09/02/2015 2:39 PM

This can very likely be a great career start. It would most likely put you out on the facility floor where the real action happens, rather than in an office.

Good Answers: 120
In reply to #5

09/02/2015 4:38 PM

Continuing my reply, look for a technician position rather than an engineer position.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 602

09/02/2015 3:10 PM

The only engineers that I know of that often work '2nd shift' are test engineers that work at major electronics firms and aerospace companies. They are sometimes needed to set up and monitor long-term tests of components, subassemblies, and complete units. The tests may be mechanical or environmental ('shake and bake') using large vibration machines or environmental chambers.

In reply to #6

09/02/2015 4:12 PM

Many Sanitary Engineers also work the night shift.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
In reply to #7

09/02/2015 5:54 PM

No sh!t?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 157
In reply to #14

09/04/2015 4:05 AM

<groan>

and I feel like I'm being nice

Location: Large hole formally occupied by furry woodland creature.
Good Answers: 98

09/02/2015 4:53 PM

Make sure what you accomplish, in way of a demonstration of your abilities on the second shift, is noticed on the first shift by people in charge. Otherwise, you may be swallowed by obscurity.

09/02/2015 4:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I live in the US and looking for these types of positions in Midwest (IL,MO, KY) and Southwest (Texas)

Register to Reply
Guru

09/02/2015 5:11 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 148

09/02/2015 5:37 PM

Don't limit yourself to just looking at "Engineering" companies. Most large industrial plants (e.g. Oil, Gas, Mining...) run 24/7, and almost always have a need for trained people.

In reply to #12

09/02/2015 5:51 PM

Yes but.....................................

There's a huge difference between "trained people" and kids just out of college with no skills, or training, but a degree.

Many years ago I had to work with graduate "engineers" just out of school. These whiz kids were hired by human resource people without a clue of what they had to do.

Like, "here's a job with the title 'engineer', here's a kid with an engineering degree. Perfect fit"! Hired.

There were many times when you'd have to stifle an almost irresistible urge to choke the life out of the little twits.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #13

09/02/2015 5:55 PM

<...little twits...> - what in Human Resources? Surely not?!

In reply to #15

09/02/2015 6:09 PM

Or the whiz kids?!

In reply to #16

09/02/2015 6:11 PM

BOTH!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #13

09/02/2015 6:16 PM

Agreed. But if the OP is willing to come in at the bottom and work up, heavy industry is a good starting point. Just need to make sure there is a more experienced (read curmudgeon) person around to provide guidance, and curb over-enthusiastic changes to the system.

In reply to #18

09/02/2015 6:33 PM

True.

If you don't let the fact that you have that piece of paper go to your head.

I came fresh off the farm to my first job. I realized that I didn't know anything. I just kept my mouth shut, listened and did what I was told.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

09/03/2015 10:26 AM

Boeing. They normally work 2-3 shifts. I worked there on the PHM program as an ME on second shift and took other classes during the day.

09/03/2015 10:35 AM

Any major production company that runs 24/7. There are a lot of them. Military contractors, electronic contract manufacturers, Campbell's soup, or whatever, all need engineering support around the clock, for not just producing their product but sustaining engineering on their production lines, processes and quality assurance, all of which employ some type of engineer position.

Go to Career Builder and type engineer and see what's available. You being fresh out of school, this will probably be a good introduction for you to see what is available for engineers in the real world.

Staffing agencies are also good resources if you need a job quickly but be warned, a lot of companies have policies to maintain a certain percentage of their staff as temporary, meaning you could be working as a "temp" for a couple years or more, especially if your position is expendable come lay off time.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73

09/03/2015 12:12 PM

My suggestion would be to work for a manufacturing firm as an entry-level second shift electrical maintenance technician. With shift differential and a little boost because you do have a piece of paper, you should be able to get a survivable beginning wage... but the hands-on experience you gain will be invaluable.

09/03/2015 8:38 PM

Thanks TexasRon, and VincentJ.... That info is very informative. I did see a lot of "Test Engineers" being 2nd shift, and also manufacturing engineers. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 24 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

ejon1801 (2); Fredski (1); gringogreg (2); JavaHead (1); Kilowatt0 (3); lyn (6); Mikerho (1); PWSlack (3); SolarEagle (1); texasron (1); Unredundant (1); Usbport (1); Vincent.Jones (1)

Previous in Forum: Thinking About Going From Contract to Full Time, What Salary Should I Expect?   Next in Forum: Building Engineering

Advertisement