CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How Did We Miss This?   Next in Forum: Heating of DRI (Direct Reduced Iron)/Sponge Iron Using Microwaves
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Process Diagram for Case Hardened of EN19 Steel

09/04/2015 4:26 AM

I have EN19 steel bar. I want to case hardened of this steel (EN-19).I want surface hardness of Rc-55 with case depth up to 1mm.

Please suggest complete process treatment with temperature -time-atmosphere so that I will get my desire property.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: Process Diagram for Case Hardened of EN19 Steel

09/04/2015 6:54 AM

I have sent tens of thousands of parts to be heat treated and I don't even know the answers to your questions.

Unless you are going to do this yourself, which I discourage by the way, or unless you are very curious, you do not need to know the answers to your questions.

All you have to do is send the part to Heat Treating facility, tell them the type of material it is, tell they how hard you want it and to what case depth and at about $0.30/lb you get what want.

Besides, more information is needed to answer your questions such as size, diameter, shape, length etc.

In reply to #1

09/04/2015 9:17 AM

Thank you Massey...

Yes i am agree with you, unless doing several experiment it is difficult to predict the case depth with hardness.

At present i dont have the facility to do heat treatment several times. I am curious to know, is their any relation with case depth, hardness, time, temperature, atmosphere.

The size of the component is 15 mm diameter and 4 cm length,

Please suggest ..

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #2

09/04/2015 10:07 AM

Google it

About 1,780,000 results (0.27 seconds)

In reply to #2

09/04/2015 11:07 AM

At present i dont have the facility to do heat treatment several times. I am curious to know, is their any relation with case depth, hardness, time, temperature, atmosphere.

Yes, there are relationships between all those things as I learned over four years in college but I learned there is a relationship, I do not remember how intimate they are. But like I said, let the experts do their job AND if you do not know what you are doing you could really get hurt bad.

The information you are looking for is available online and in print, I don't know what the answers are because I don't care, if I did need to know I would learn it but it would not be from a forum like this.

Do a little looking into the subject, there are so many variables and heat treating processes.

Tell you what, you can get a phone number from this linked website and you can call them if you want to: http://century-sun.com/

In reply to #2

09/04/2015 12:08 PM

ooops! I just looked up your material:

http://www.westyorkssteel.com/alloy-steel/engineering-steel/en19t/

This is a good summary how to heat treat this material but your problem is the carbon content. This is high carbon alloy which would normally thru harden, case depth hardening will be tricky if not impossible.

Well I just read a little closer and noticed this:

For maximum wear and abrasion resistance EN19T can be nitrided to give a shallow depth wear resistant case. Flame or induction hardening can give a case hardness of 50 HRc or higher.

Good Answers: 1141

09/04/2015 10:38 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

KUNTAL MAITI (1); Massey (3); Original_Macgyver (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: How Did We Miss This?   Next in Forum: Heating of DRI (Direct Reduced Iron)/Sponge Iron Using Microwaves

Advertisement