CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: HP Required to Move 1 GPM At 1000 PSI!   Next in Forum: Pumping Water to Different Heights
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 5

Most Attractive Profession

09/13/2015 10:18 PM

From ancient times designing structures like temples,pyramids,great wall of china, modern skyscrapers etc have won the hearts of public as well as engineers. Second is using natural resources like windmill for pumping water,grinding grains,sail ships, catamaran(logs tied together) floating in water, PV array,using geothermal power, flying kites etc. What are the others?.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: Most attractive profession

09/13/2015 11:05 PM

Flying to, and landing on, the Moon.....

In reply to #1

09/13/2015 11:28 PM

only a handful of people have done this,but the first two used by millions or billions.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351
In reply to #2

09/13/2015 11:37 PM

Yes but a lot of us helped them get there through innovative thinking and hard work, they didn't do it all by themselves.

Jack - Former NASA Subcontractor

In reply to #3

09/14/2015 2:33 AM

Todays inventors have lot of education,internet,computer software etc but about 200 years ago they had to do calculations manually taking lot of tome and energy as well as without todays books,libraries,telecom facilities etc.

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #9

09/14/2015 3:33 AM

Yes but they had virtually more time to spend on all their science being less distracted from electronic gadgets and news and television and the overwhelming provision of information.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340
In reply to #9

09/14/2015 8:25 AM

They are only stepping stone that are used today to make innovated inventions and developments, just like tomorrow will be using todays innovated inventions and developments.

Its a progression.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #3

09/15/2015 9:32 AM

True, and it was through collaboration & cooperation, paying in blood, sweat, tears and, yes, lives, that we achieved that goal and reached the first of the 'unreachable stars,' if I may borrow a line from The Man of La Mancha. And in doing so, we inspired generations to enter into Science, Engineering, and even the Arts ("No words... should have sent... a poet."). The Grand Archetecture, the Pyramids, the first windmills and waterwheels, all must have seemed like 'Impossible Dreams' (I seem to keep coming back to that play, that particular song, in this post.) to the people before the first one was completed.

Yes, that was the footprint of One Man, but it tool All Mankind to place it there, and that's what makes it into my Top Three of Most Inspiring Pictures. The other two are the Blue Marble and the Pale Blue Dot.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 340
In reply to #1

09/14/2015 8:21 AM

That is a great one,... but I think Apollo 13 is also up there near the top. What else can you have a major catastrophe, thousands of miles from the nearest service/repair station, do the repairs yourself with limited resources and come home safely...... again done by dedicated thousands of people lead by a small contingency.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

09/13/2015 11:39 PM

Those that design smartphones and tablets (excluding those in the third world that actually assemble them).

09/14/2015 12:19 AM

Posting in forums and social media?-I guess

Good Answers: 1598

09/14/2015 12:33 AM

Your absolute, opinionated statement is subject to debate.

I'd say modeling is the most attractive profession.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/14/2015 12:39 AM

I am not a big fan of modelling. Unless you know the fundamental principles behind what you are trying to model AND what the expected outcome will roughly be it is more a case of garbage in / garbage out.

Your talking about SPICE right?

In reply to #6

09/14/2015 1:20 AM

O, I'd love to see you sometime in the catwalk lyn, Peace! I am a big fan of yours, you know.

In reply to #8

09/14/2015 3:31 PM

We know, we just don't quite know which previous CR4 user name(s) you used to post under.

Good Answers: 1598
In reply to #13

09/14/2015 7:47 PM

Don't feed the trolls.

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: Most Attractive Profession

09/23/2015 11:34 PM

Goldsmiths who design different kinds of jewellery or artists who make printed fabrics too attract many.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (4); Legolaz (2); lyn (2); phoenix911 (2); pnaban (3); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: HP Required to Move 1 GPM At 1000 PSI!   Next in Forum: Pumping Water to Different Heights

Advertisement