CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: I Don't Think it's Diverting Right   Next in Forum: Locating Rocks Underground
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Participant

Advice for Type of Foundation

09/20/2015 10:02 AM

hello

am a ME student working on my dissertation, i need to knw wat type of foundation can we choose for construction over closed landfill? can we go for cellular raft or piled raft? wat is the depth of foundation for cellular raft? as we knw landfill have low sbc and undergo differential settlement..

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: advice for type of foundation

09/20/2015 10:07 AM

We don't do homework here.

Google, "expansive soil foundation design" and do some reading.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

Re: advice for type of foundation

09/20/2015 10:16 AM

no one worries about foundations these days

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 997

Re: Advice for Type of Foundation

09/20/2015 1:33 PM

Well I would go with a trailer park for a few decades....this would allow settling and any toxic waste issues to surface...

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 335

09/20/2015 4:29 PM

There is no right answer and set depth because landfills, their composition and the land they are built on vary greatly.

Look in to all types then analyse which is the best for different situations. Include example real world sites in your analysis. It will practically write itself.

09/21/2015 12:09 AM

Are you sure, you are into ME? Your query belongs to CE category.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

09/21/2015 2:26 AM

There's piles of information on the word wide wibbly-webbly. All you've got to do is search for it.

Good Answers: 89

09/21/2015 5:35 AM

So strange you should ask! It sounds like this is the exact question that you need to come up with a solution for your dissertation.

You need to turn the common knowledge into some thing you know better!

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 199

09/21/2015 8:11 AM

My background is in EE, but I would guess that something greater than the depth to undisturbed parent material would be a good start, but depending on what the parent material is.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 79

09/21/2015 12:06 PM

Just build your house on an old boat. Then when the land slide occurs you can float it away.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 49

09/21/2015 4:50 PM

It is not recommended to build on an old landfill.

There are too many issues.

Typically here in Nevada when they have a plot of land that was a dump or something like that, they make a park out of the land and siphon off the gasses and fluids that accumulate!

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #10

09/21/2015 8:28 PM

Interesting idea! Wonder what OP has to say to that!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #10

09/21/2015 8:44 PM

It is doable but not recommended. We have a nice commercial area in Auckland that not only is built on an old landfill, but the landfill itself was built on reclaimed land (ocean front swampland I believe).

What's the prominent building on it, why a local government city council building. Loaded with gas sensors in the basement we sold them and maintained ensuring their lack of action was not due to oxygen deprivation or gas poisoning.

Truth be told a good explosion under their asses may have been a good motivator.

09/21/2015 9:02 PM

If OP is writing his dissertation and is asking this question, I'm concerned about his future.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 7

09/21/2015 10:12 PM

Maybe you're not asking the better questions, Maybe you should be asking what is a better use for the land fill to have?

Now, it technically is possible to drive piles through a land fill deep enough to hit ground solid enough to support a large/tall building, but it would be very costly to do so.

Maybe a better choice would be to, first, compact the land fill as much as possible with heavy construction machinery, and level the land fill surface to a uniform flatness.

Then, place a grid-work of perforated plastic piping over the entire land fill and have vent risers at each corner.

And cover it all with a foot of mixed gravel, with no grains small enough to pass through the pipe perforations, and then cover it all with a thick plastic membrane.

And then cover that with several feet of compacted dirt.

Thus, the mostly methane gases, being lighter than air could be conveyed out from under the membrane to the vent risers, and be burned-off or collected for further processing, or possibly then be sold.

But, more importantly, the flat surface could then be covered with solar collectors to make electric power available where it probably wasn't before.

Additionally, round wind mill towers could also be added to the site. And if the towers were designed properly, additional horizontal wind mills could rotate around the towers, producing even more electric power.

Wouldn't that make it then possible to build many new buildings on adjacent land that could be more suitable for new buildings, roads, houses, businesses, schools, etc. ?

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208
In reply to #14

09/21/2015 10:26 PM

you're too much!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

09/21/2015 11:09 PM

Your answer is a great example of GIGO.

OK, that's garbage in, garbage out.

Pardon the play on words.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

10/10/2015 7:07 PM

There's no single portion of what I've discussed that is not relatively simple to do, and not relatively affordable to finance, so it is all intrinsically do-able. It's just a matter of when, where, for how much, and by whom...

Someday, relatively soon, somebody is going to implement a solution like I've discussed previously, and they're going to find that, while garbage did go in to a garbage dump, creatively constructing a new power source is going to cause cause significant cash profit to be made out of a garbage dump, over time...

So, that would make it more like CE & ECE I, MEP&CP O.

Creative Engineering and Effective Constructive Effort In, Electric Power and Cash Profit Out...

Or, for short, E(ngineering) I(n), P(rofit) O(ut).

In reply to #14

09/21/2015 11:33 PM

Um, what building standards are you referring to with your proposed idea?

I believe solar and wind farm installations on landfills are rare (or non-existent). It is more common to vent and place parks or even residential communities on them because solar and wind farm location and placement is critical to ensure maximum efficiency and payback.

Good Answers: 18

09/22/2015 2:27 PM

piles

09/24/2015 12:40 PM

Why is a Mechanical Engineering doctoral candidate asking for assistance on a Structural Engineering issue?

Are you also (minoring) in Structural Engineering?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Crabtree (1); Fredski (2); IdeaSmith (2); jack of all trades (3); Just an Engineer (1); Legolaz (1); lyn (3); MR. Guest (3); omw7 (1); Original_Macgyver (1); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1)

Previous in Forum: I Don't Think it's Diverting Right   Next in Forum: Locating Rocks Underground

Advertisement