CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Contraction Joints for Machine Foundation   Next in Forum: Limestone Cutting
Close
Close
Close
21 comments
Participant

Double Wide Trailer

10/19/2015 7:01 PM

hey i have a double wide trailor and were they leveled it off and put it togather it is spliting would it still be safe to build a fire in the fire place cause it is freezing cold

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1572

Re: Double Wide Trailor

10/19/2015 7:09 PM

Unless the fireplace is splitting, I see no problem building a fire.

Depending on the wind direction, the fireplace may not draw properly and the place could fill with smoke.

I do see a problem living in a trailer that is splitting down the middle.

I'd keep myself between the fireplace and the door while the fire is burning.

Have you sealed the cracks?

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #1

10/19/2015 7:14 PM

yes wat is the best way to re level the trailor and make the trailor come back togather

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

10/19/2015 7:27 PM

Well, having a mobile home installer do it is the best way.

If that is out, you will need a bottle jack, or two, some shims and a way to check the level. A 6 foot level (at least). Or a level attached to a long STRAIGHT piece of lumber or aluminum channel.

Also some threaded rod and nuts to use to pull the sides back together. Use several rods to gently pull things back together. When the crack is closed, go to the second step.

Find whichever side/corner/place is out of level and jack and shim it back to level.

You can search the internet for more detailed instructions.

Good luck!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68
In reply to #5

10/19/2015 7:34 PM

We are quick today, huh? Who said your old, slow and farting dust??

In reply to #7

10/19/2015 8:05 PM

I took the day off.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #5

Re: Double Wide Trailer

10/21/2015 11:30 AM

If it is already together and coming apart, it is a LOT harder to make right. Mobile Homes (House Trailers) are not straight from the factory, so pick your spot and it will be either level or not. You cannot level all of it. When I was doing mobile home i used a water level. Depending on the size, one would need several jacks. when we re did mine we had an even dozen jacks under it. Also, I cannot stress enough the DANGER, especially if the wheels and/or axles are not on it It gets worse if it is very far off the ground. JHF

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #5

01/20/2016 3:39 PM

I would also suggest that you take a look at what the trailer is sitting on and in how many locations it is supported(making the assumption of course that the wheels have at least been lifted off the ground or they are not the main source of support). Might be an unstable surface/base causing the split due to settling. Just re-leveling and shimming might just be a only a short term solution.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #2

10/19/2015 7:29 PM

Hire a professional, it can get real ugly real quick if you don't know what your doing!

10/19/2015 7:21 PM

I'm aSSuming your talking about a mobile home? Where's the fireplace in relation to the seam joint? Unless the fireplace spans the the seam you should be ok. But make sure your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are functional. Also,make sure your fire insurance is up to date.

In reply to #3

10/19/2015 7:25 PM

iis it possible to fix the split in the trailir cause im in desprate need of some help on this matter

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1102
In reply to #4

10/19/2015 8:41 PM

The site linked should help...I use a roll of clear vinyl tubing for a water level when leveling large....If you could post some pictures of the problem and basic support structure that is existing, that would help a lot....

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=6

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Vinyl-Tubing-ID-100/dp/B000L8BHJE

Good Answers: 1102
In reply to #9

10/19/2015 9:00 PM

In reply to #4

10/20/2015 2:06 AM

As Lyn and Solar Eagle both mention, you can try doing this yourself, but you first need to find out why the cribbing is sinking. Is the ground soft or saturated with water? what type of substrate is the mobile home sitting on? You may need to increase the foot print of the cribbing to spread the weight out. Is the "open seam" on the ceiling/ roof or is the floor separating? This will tell you where you need to start your leveling efforts. If the ceiling seem is opening up, then you should start on the outer perimeter to bring the ceiling back together. If it's the floor seam thats opening, then you should start down the middle on both sides of the seam. The outside "skirting" will confirm which to deal with first, an open ceiling seam will pinch or crush the skirting. If the floor seam is opening up then (generally) the skirting will be loose at the bottom. Either way, it's a real pain in the ass, especially if it's cold and/ or if you haven't done this before. Plan on an all day adventure and have someone there to help you, other wise you'll be doing a lot of crawling and cussing! With myself, I prefer to remove some sections of the skirting on both sides, it saves on the crawling and having to dragging tools and cribbing with you. Have fun and be sure to let us know the out come.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

10/20/2015 8:10 AM

Trailers usually pull apart because one or more of the supports (usually at the corners) has dropped down.

Inspect each of the supports and see what to do. If there is a levelling mechanism, you might be abkle to level it yourself.

If it was jacked with a bottle jack and then permanent non adjustable supports used, you will need to jack it.

Another mode of failure is lateral separation of the two parts that allows wind entry.

A third failure mode is a rotted/rusted main support beam that has sagged.

How old is this trailer.

Fixing a rotted/rusted/failed support is more complex, and will require someone with experience in the particular homes you have.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 699

10/20/2015 12:07 PM

An installation like that has its own calorific value. Move out!

In reply to #13

10/20/2015 1:50 PM

Yup, that they do! And no kindling required! And that's the reason I recommended the OP make sure their CO and smoke detectors are functional and the fire insurance is paid up to date.

What's that old clique -- "People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

In the OP's case -- " People that live in mobile homes shouldn't play with fire."

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-155/issue-5/features/the-dangers-of-mobile-home-fires.html

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

10/21/2015 3:30 AM

Great log here today, lots of good infos, in fact I did not see any bad infos....

He should, with the right tools and a good helper, be able to fix his problems with all the infos supplied.....

To me it sounds as though it was badly installed in the first place for some reason, as it should never ever happen if done properly.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #15

10/21/2015 8:47 AM

Wow. A complete post with no exclamation marks.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #17

10/21/2015 9:10 AM

Of course.

Andy doesn't shout all the time; he's German, not a Dalek.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #17

01/20/2016 5:48 PM

Now we all do not have to be very clever to know who THIS is, now do we?

Pathetic.......as usual!!

Good Answers: 1

10/21/2015 7:35 AM

The condition of the trailer doesn't really have much to do with whether or not it is safe to build a fire. I suspect that the chimney has not been cleaned recently, which may make it unsafe to use. If the crack in the trailer is above the fireplace, melting snow dripping on the hot cast iron could possibly crack the stove while in use.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 21 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (1); aurizon (1); Circuit Breaker (1); DeputyDawg (1); dj95401 (5); Kevin LaPaire (1); lyn (3); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (2); Tyler stone (2)

Previous in Forum: Contraction Joints for Machine Foundation   Next in Forum: Limestone Cutting

Advertisement