CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Kimberlite Mines and Wind Power   Next in Forum: Nuclear to Electric Energy Conversion
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Participant

Land Use PM Emission Calculation

10/26/2015 5:21 AM

hello can some one help me with an equation in calculation land use pm emission. thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 237

Re: land use pm emission calculation

10/26/2015 5:46 AM

Particulate Matter Emission is normally associated with internal combustion engines, and, transport in particular. You need to be clearer with your question.

In reply to #1

10/26/2015 6:17 AM

the research am working on is about several areas in a particular region for example residential areas, industrial areas, commercial areas key roads and so on. and i am trying to calculate the amount of emission from each of these areas. so i don't know if you can help me with an equation in calculating the emissions from the different area.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #2

10/26/2015 6:24 AM

That'd be number of sources in area times emission amount. If the source is on the move like cars and trucks you need to run a statistic on how long the source stays in the area.

This is all very nice mathematics and statistics.

Good luck!

Re: Land Use PM Emission Calculation

10/26/2015 7:50 AM

There are agencies authorize for computation and quantification of concentration. This is no job for a rookie. Are you a consultant? Well, atleast act like one. Well, youre lucky im generous today. You get a filter a pm10 type put it in a calibrated vacuum pump. Run the pump, could be an hour or 24hrs. Compute the volume intake of the pump for the total time. Weigh the final tare of filter. The difference of the filter weight over the volume of air pumped is your concentration. Epa has standard for this.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 622

10/26/2015 7:54 AM

Whew! I thought PM meant nocturnal, and I was wondering what the heck this question was asking.

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #5

10/26/2015 8:19 AM

Thanks to Randall we know that it happens in broad daylight and in the night.

Time to move on!

In reply to #5

10/26/2015 11:04 AM

If we wont get through with wits, we'll see them through serenade. wWouff!Ruff!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51

10/26/2015 9:44 AM
  • What type of monitoring equipment are you using?
  • What is the weather like?
  • Gas or diesel vehicles? What percentage of mix?
  • Residential?
  • Commercial?

In reply to #7

10/27/2015 4:22 AM

am using GIS and DEM data of the area and for the weather am trying to calculate for all weathers (for one year) for the types of vehicles am working on all types of vehicles i just need to get a total average emission for all vehicles and for the areas am working on all the possible areas in the particular district am working on. thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 51
In reply to #12

10/27/2015 9:17 AM

Good luck.

You have a ton of data to crunch!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

10/26/2015 12:31 PM

I'm not comfortable talking about nocturnal (PM) emissions.

Good Answers: 771
In reply to #9

10/26/2015 1:52 PM

As I have gotten older I have found mine are pretty much all methane based now with the occasional bit of H2S mixed in at times.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting ["brexit" - ugh] as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 703
In reply to #9

10/26/2015 2:17 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

10/27/2015 4:27 AM

EF (lbs/tons) = pollutant emitted (lbs)/Activities (tons) = (pollutant emitted/tons of materials)/hr E(tons)= EF(lbs/tons) x Activities(tons)/time(yr) 1ton/2000lbs With Activities = Tons of material EF= Emission factor of unit (i) i = the different units in the map Ai= Total Area of the unit (i) Emission per unit Area (tons/Km2)= Emission (tons)/Area (Km2) The following can be used to represent the different Units (i) in the map; I= industrial area R= residential area C= commercial area H= health site K = key roads N= non centralized government facility Ec = ecological area F = farmland Rw= rail way W = water area S = storage area U = unclear land G = Greenland O = open space parks NFP = natural forest park In calculating the emission from key road units and railway, we make use of the below equation; First we have to get the emission factor (EF), which is given below; EF (tons/km)= pollutant emitted (tons)/VKT (Km) VKT= Vehicular kilometer traveled There fore E (tons)= N x D x EF N = Q x t D = v x t N= number of vehicles D= Distance travelled (km) V = velocity (speed of vehicles) t = time Q = travel flow on road (number of vehicles that pass along the road per time t) hey guys i have been able to come up with this equation but i need help in trying to relate the equation with other factors like the height of the buildings, degradation factors in the areas, dust emissions and so on

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #13

11/30/2015 10:54 AM

So then, this is global particulate emission from all activity, or just human activity? Weather can play a role in this as you already pointed out as (1) it can stir up particulates, and (2) it can sweep them out of an area, thus removing their concentration suspended in lower atmosphere.

The bigger question is WHY? Does this have anything to do with local climate affects by the human activity creating a greater concentration of suspended particulates in air (from all activities)? WHO wants to know, and WHO cares? Is this for health statistics study? The man from U.N.C.L.E. might not know anything about this, but you do. Good luck, and I hope you have a really awesome number crunching machine (you should name it Captain Crunch).

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #15

11/30/2015 12:32 PM

It doesn't matter one iota what is the name of the number crunching machine(s) if nobody believes the result.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #16

12/01/2015 9:34 AM

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek with last reply. I agree that garbage in = garbage out to the x power.

The problem does not seem to be well defined in terms of what it is inside "the sand box" that is doing the emitting. Can large sources be properly modeled with small numerous sources? They had better be.

The problem with most of the PM models I have seen from the EPA is that they are all gross over-simplifications of what is actually possible, and grossly over-estimate the PM count.

For example, if the PM10 is coming from a cooling tower drift source, and one uses the EPA-42 calculation, as the salinity of this tower is plotted on the x axis, the model predicts that the PM10 keeps rising, but the real fact is that once a critical concentration of total dissolved solids is reached, the resulting solid particle from water evaporated (mist) can no longer be less than 10 microns in diameter, and actual PM10 DECREASES.

So unless this fellow's particle generation model is far advanced and sophisticated, it is just so much mental masturbation.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

harryspark (3); IdeaSmith (2); James Stewart (2); Legolaz (2); Original_Macgyver (2); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); redfred (2); tcmtech (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Kimberlite Mines and Wind Power   Next in Forum: Nuclear to Electric Energy Conversion

Advertisement