CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Powerfactory Load Flow DPL Command   Next in Forum: Google's Smart Reply feature
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Windows 10 Moving to Automatic Update in 2016

10/31/2015 9:52 PM

If your one of most people who have automatic updates enabled, prepare for a surprise...

"While Windows 10 will soon be posted in Windows Update, the bigger change is coming in early 2016, when Microsoft will change its listing from an 'Optional Update' to a 'Recommended Update'. This will cause Windows 10 to be downloaded and installed automatically on every system where automatic updates are enabled."

It seems people were not responding to the gentle persuasion of popups fast enough...lol

http://www.techspot.com/news/62615-microsoft-making-windows-10-automatic-update-next-year.html?google_editors_picks=true

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User

Re: Windows 10 moving to automatic update in 2016

10/31/2015 9:56 PM

Then what should we do, Jimmy?

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #1

10/31/2015 10:48 PM

Quit trolling us, for starters.

Find a web site for children and go there.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #4

10/31/2015 11:13 PM

I'll drink to that advice

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #5

10/31/2015 11:18 PM

I expect more "trick plays" from Bills boys. just forget about updating your video player for FREE or EVER adding a tool-bar, clicking "I agree" can doom you to the fine print.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

10/31/2015 10:19 PM

Oh great.

I tried the Win 10 upgrade earlier and failed miserably. The driver for video card of my laptop failed and the default video driver roasts my cpu because it now must do everything.

Guru

10/31/2015 10:44 PM

Yet another reason why I will never go to W 10.

I can still block "improvements" with the POS W 8.1.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #3

11/02/2015 10:41 AM

I totally agree.

Good Answers: 4

Re: Windows 10 Moving to Automatic Update in 2016

11/01/2015 11:30 PM

Bought a new computer with Windows 8....which was terrible. Updated it to 8.1 for 'free', but it still cost me a fortune to as I only had a wirless internet stick.......still terrible.

There should be some kind of federal law against updates, & a mandate passed stating companies sell a product that actually works in the first place....once.

In reply to #7

11/01/2015 11:56 PM

Microsoft has 110 million reasons why they don't care about the consumer.

By 2017 they will be charging us to use their formerly "free" operating systems.

They won't be on your PC, they will be in the cloud. Your PC will be a terminal with a steel plate in it to make you think there is some electronics inside.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #8

11/02/2015 1:30 AM

By my approx calculations....that has to equate to at least 109 million unhappy users. I guess when you own the whole board, winning monopoly is easy. $$$

I just dont understand how thier complaints dept. cant be completely & utterly saturated!?

11/02/2015 12:05 AM

I'm sticking with win 7 as long as I can, I guess they will eventually force the change...I've learned my lesson about upgrading the os with a computer that was designed to run a less demanding os and then losing agility and function...same with phones...I just buy a new one every 5 years or so....keep the older ones for playing with...

United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member CR4 Admins - CR4 Admin - CR4 Admin

Good Answers: 7

11/02/2015 7:58 AM

I've purchased two machines in the last year and both came with 8.1. It's been tough. I've considered spending more money on a custom "skinner" which puts the more traditional graphic interface over the top of 8.1 . Lifehacker has some pretty good advice on ways to better tolerate 8.1 : Life Hacker 8.1 Tips

I LOVE both of the machines I bought hardware wise.

Lenovo Horizon 2s - Toms Hardware Review

Dell XPS 13 - CNET Review

While there are growing pains with 8.1, the advances with hardware make the upgrade inevitable. High end machines for half price are almost regular weekly occurrences. Don't let 8.1 shy you away from a great machine.

Guru

In reply to #11

11/02/2015 12:08 PM

Thanks for those links.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 174
In reply to #11

11/03/2015 3:08 PM

I use 8.1 and have absolutely no problems with it. When I first installed it I also installed the free program called "classic shell" which brings back the old home page and all of its versatility.

As for preventing the automatic update to Win 10, simply go to the control panel, select windows updates, and then disable automatic updating. You can then choose which updates that you really want out of the plethora that they think you want.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #17

11/03/2015 4:07 PM

Yes that does appear to be a solution, at least until you read the part that says they can upgrade that control without permission.....which means they can bypass your "don't update" option, anytime they want to.....

Good Answers: 174
In reply to #18

11/03/2015 4:31 PM

What it actually states is that it "may automatically update while checking for other updates", so if you select the "never check for updates" option, then it won't check and therefore won't automatically update when checking.

If your programs are working as you want them to, then upgrades are basically unnecessary. Security updates are about the only problem, and by now most generic firewall programs have got you covered.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87

11/02/2015 9:59 AM

Looks like the Linux crowd will be getting a few more fans down the road, as M$ continues to take pages from Carnegie's book 'How to Win Friends and Influence People."(1)

Notes:

Takes them to the latrine to use a toilet paper, along with their customer base, that is.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

11/03/2015 9:15 AM

BOHICA is alive and well at Microsoft.

Good Answers: 18

11/03/2015 11:15 AM

Off topic, but only sort of. Could apply to Win 10 as well.

jhammond

Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

11/03/2015 9:35 PM

People who have used Win 10 say they like it--after they have gotten used to it. They say it uses the best parts of 7 and 8.1. I do plan to upgrade to Win 10, but maybe in Jan. when the first couple rounds of updates have happened.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 29

11/06/2015 3:06 PM

Here's the answer to Microsoft's forced update:

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I promise, this link is safe. This is the site for a program called "GWX Control Panel", and it allows you to permanently disable the "nag" that's running in the background (the Get Windows 10! thingy on the taskbar), it also prevents automatic update from doing anything related to Win10, will see if Windows downloaded the install files in the background (mine did, 6GB worth!), and lets you remove the cached install files that Windows pulled down. I'm glad I found this program! Recommend it to anyone running 7, or 8, that has no plans to drink the Microsoft Kookaid.

Tom D.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 110
In reply to #21

11/10/2015 2:58 AM

Unless I'm missing something, how can it be prevented from even going so far as to download pre-install garbage ?

It all seems akin to thinking about buying a new car each year. You visit the garage and either accept or reject the new car you find. One day you visit and find a tractor with no option to get back what you had.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 29
In reply to #22

11/10/2015 8:13 AM

Kris,

It prevents downloading of the installation files, by shutting down the background process that is responsible for the download. So, not only will it free up the disk space, it also gets rid of yet another background program that is using up processor and memory resources.

Tom D.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #23

11/12/2015 1:40 AM

Thanks, Tom, I'll go check it out.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 72
In reply to #24

11/14/2015 8:03 AM

Hey, Guys. I did go check it out, and it works.

BUT, for my system, and for some reason I don't get, it was only temporary.

My system required a restart after it shut down the "Update Process", and when it did restart, it also restarted the process. I went into the appropriate window in the admin tools tab (for me it was the "services" window) and found all references to Windows Updates, and stopped, then disabled, them (all of them gave me the warning about how this would stop all processes depending on it with dire Yada, Yada, Yada, typical MSnot warnings here ....), but this FINALLY stopped the updater from running when I restarted my system again.

So you might have to go do some extra tweaks to make it really work. I did notice that the update service was set to run on a delayed startup before I really killed it. Possibly that was what allowed it to overcome the work of the utility Tom gave us.

Anyway, there's my experience, and a happy camper I am.

Thanks, Tom.

In reply to #25

11/17/2015 2:28 AM

Worked great for me (as far as I can tell). Possibly microsoft will find a way of making Win10 pop up again, but for now it all looks good. Great info, Tom.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); agua_doc (1); Baxter (1); claritysable (2); Fredski (2); jhammond (1); Kris (3); Legolaz (1); Lehman57 (1); lyn (4); micahd02 (1); redfred (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (2); spades (2); tdesmit (2)

Previous in Forum: Powerfactory Load Flow DPL Command   Next in Forum: Google's Smart Reply feature

Advertisement