CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Windows 10 Moving to Automatic Update in 2016   Next in Forum: PLC Scaling for TC Type T
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Google's Smart Reply feature

11/04/2015 8:44 AM

The science behind Google's Smart Reply is interesting, but I wonder how well it'll work. Will users need to "train" the software to get usable choices?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Android google ios Smart Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: Google's Smart Reply feature

11/04/2015 10:43 AM

Probably like texting, takes some practice but the 'probability guesses' speed things up, and time is money....

Good Answers: 577

11/04/2015 11:43 AM

The automatic word completion on text messages has generated some pretty humorous results. I wonder how many people in a rush might hit the send button before carefully reading what Google has said for them!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #2

11/04/2015 5:29 PM

Well on the text messaging system I have(iphone), as you type in letters there are about 4 choices of a word that might fit displayed below, as you type more letters it gets more probable that the word you want is displayed, you simply click on the word and it then suggests the next word, sometimes it gets several in a row, and sometimes you have to type the whole word....the practice is in guessing how many letters you have to type for it to get the word you want, then you check the words and click....it takes some time to know which words are displayed with how many letters...but with some practice you can go pretty fast....so you never get misspelled or wrong words, well unless you don't know how to spell, then it will highlight the word with a guess...

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

11/04/2015 7:52 PM

I want this as much as I want a self-driving car. Most of my emails don't need answers as they tend to be newsletters, blog entries, advertising, conferences, training, etc. I created rules in Outlook to automatically sort most of my incoming mail by domain name so all the CR4 emails just go into my Newsletters and Magazine folder and I look at them when I feel like it. The emails that constitute 'my job' stay in my Inbox and I deal with those first. You can even create rules to permanently delete stuff without even seeing it or just send it to your Junk folder so you could move it back later if you wanted.

If you feel like email is too much a distraction consider investing some time into creating rules. For each rule, you can "OR" in as many entries as you like. The reason this is important is because if you create a separate rule for each individual email address you wish to sort, you will run up against the limit on the number of rules you can run. I know this because I max'ed out my rules as I started creating all these rules for each address or domain. I use the Search feature to look for key words in the sender's address to catalog my incoming email.

Here is what the Manage Rules dialog box looks like in Outlook.

When you want to add a new entry to a particular rule, you get to this dialog box and click on the list of search entries and the following box pops up.

You add the new address to your list in the box and click "OK". It will append the new entry to your list with an "OR" operator by default. You can do searches on addresses, dates, subjects, etc. There are many conditions you can check for. Here is a partial list from the Rules Wizard if you click on the Start From a Blank Rule.

Then you assign a particular action to this message. Here is a partial list.

You can then program in any number of exceptions.

Then you assign a name for this rule so you can recognize it when you want to add or change attributes of this rule.

That's it. Good luck with your quest.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 4 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Brave Sir Robin (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Windows 10 Moving to Automatic Update in 2016   Next in Forum: PLC Scaling for TC Type T

Advertisement