CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Joints in Spillway Structure and Stilling Basin   Next in Forum: Eroding River Rock
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Participant

Stacked Paver Retaining Wall - Pinning

11/08/2015 2:26 PM

I picked up a pallet of paver retaining wall block at an auction. I do not know what the brand is and I have been unable to confirm how the layers need to be pinned. I plan to use these to level and area for a paver patio. The height will be a maximum of 15". Should I join them with rebar? Do I need to pin them?

I have attached photos of what the pavers look like. They are about 5" tall.

I couldn't get photos to upload but here are some links.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qhgv0u95xa7i148/AABPvONtJGb-RiByr2GH0A78a

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/l9ghz7bf151lei6/AAByCIzXEOZcLpT-qB2QWp7Ia

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: paver retaining wall
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: Stacked paver retaining wall - pinning

11/08/2015 2:41 PM

I'd use a landscape block adhesive available from any big box hardware store.

Such as

Store InfoChange Store

LOCTITE PL 10-oz Adhesive

Item #: 214677 | Model #: 1654392

26 Reviews

$4.99

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 102

Re: Stacked Paver Retaining Wall - Pinning

11/08/2015 10:14 PM

Those don't look like the ones I've used. The ones I've used have a small lip or tab at the bottom rear which sits over the block below to prevent it from slipping forward. Yours look like they rely on something like a 'biscuit' to prevent slipping. Since you're only planning to go 3 or 4 high, Lyn's suggestion is fine. I'd be more concerned about whether a pallet is enough, and what will you do to finish the job if it's not enough? If you measure and make a count, you may find that it takes a lot more than your 'eyeball' estimate.

Register to Reply
Participant

11/09/2015 7:00 AM

Thank you for the advice. I'll give the adhesive a try. BTW, I actually have two pallets and only need the wall on one side to level the small patio area.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 175

11/09/2015 8:44 AM

It appears that you have picked up what are called Segmental Retaining Wall (SRT) concrete blocks with a shear key cast into the bottom (?) of them.

Since you are only going to have a maximum exposed wall face of 15-inches I would not worry about "pinning" them together, UNLESS you are driving a vehicle on the retained soil behind the wall.

Yes, use the adhesive to tie the wall blocks together to help minimize displacement due to the effects of Frost Action.

Good Answers: 30

11/09/2015 9:01 AM

The slot appears to be in the middle, which is counter to most "pinned" solutions. Usually, a typical fiberglass pin connects two courses of retaining blocks, providing a setback gradient to the finish wall. The holes/slots are not centered on both sides of the block. These blocks do not appear to be produced for that, on the other hand, 15" is 3 courses? A pin could work fine, will # 3 (3/8") rebar work? The advantage being that they can be dissassembled for fine adjustment, the liquid adhesive can be a pain.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 604
In reply to #5

11/09/2015 9:44 AM

I agree. It looks to me like they're made to have a piece of rebar driven into the ground through the slot, to hold them in place. Maybe not a piece of rebar through every one, but often enough to stabilize the wall. And maybe every 4th or 5th one turned 90 degrees to act as a deadman with the rebar through it.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

11/09/2015 10:17 AM

I would stake the base course with rebar to ensure stability then use an adhesive on the next courses of stone.

Good Answers: 27

11/09/2015 7:12 PM

It would be better to use hot dip galvanised re bar this close to the surface.

Jim

Hobbies - CNC - New Member

Good Answers: 49

11/10/2015 1:01 PM

I agree with Lyn, You're only going 3 courses high so you're not holding back too much force. I made a 3 - 4 foot tall retaining wall and it held up perfectly with just the adhesive. The wall wasn't holding back a mountain, it was just holding back a sloped front yard.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bigg (1); CaptMoosie (1); JIMRAT (1); jteal (1); lyn (1); Original_Macgyver (1); PFR (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: Joints in Spillway Structure and Stilling Basin   Next in Forum: Eroding River Rock

Advertisement