CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: U.S. Census Bureau Daily Feature - 1st Engineering School   Next in Forum: Katherine Johnson to be Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Participant

ASME II D Subpart 3 Charts and Tables for Determining Shell Thickness

11/11/2015 7:03 PM

I have a question about the chart in the back of the 2010 ASME II D subpart 3 for determining shell thickness of components under external pressure; chart for figure ( G) page 748.

L / Do=90/180=1/2 and Do/t =180/.25=720 and to determine factor ( A ) . To read the chart they say to look to the left of the chart go vertical up the chart to .5 , then move horizontally to the right until it falls between 600 and 800 of Do/t, then move down vertically to the bottom. In my study book the answer is .00015

I am studying for the API / 510 exam and don't understand how they get .00015 at the bottom of the chart.

please help, I've scratched my head so much I'm going bald

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

Re: ASME II D Subpart 3 Charts and Tables for Determining Shell Thickness

11/11/2015 11:00 PM

I'm looking at page 748. Seems normal to me.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 118

Re: ASME II D Subpart 3 Charts and Tables for Determining Shell Thickness

12/03/2015 5:26 AM

I don't have ASME II, but why do you think you should be able to see how they get it? I assume the figure 0.00015 is used in a formula or something to give shell thickness. If there was a formula for factor A there'd be no need for the chart. But I'm not keen on charts like that as it's easy to get a decimal point out.

I had a case many years back with a pressure vessel 2m dia, design pressure 8 barg and had to be good for full vacuum. The designers did the calcs and said it was good for 2 bar external. I didn't know enough to question it, but my then boss said "load of f*****g b*****s, if it's 8 bar internal no way is it good for 2 bar external" and he was right, they were a point out and it was just about OK for 1 bar.

If you want to do a cross check, you could use a formula from eg Roark, but probably need a safety factor (on pressure, not thickness) of 3 - 4.

BTW if you posted this question in Mech Eng you might get more response.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: U.S. Census Bureau Daily Feature - 1st Engineering School   Next in Forum: Katherine Johnson to be Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom

Advertisement