CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Electron Sharing and Bonding   Next in Forum: Single Pass vs Double Pass Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Associate

Why is Oil Used for Coolant?

11/30/2015 1:19 PM

When we come across power converters in solar panel applications or transformers on electrical lines, why is oil used for cooling instead of other fluids? I would assume it is an oil designed for cooling rather than lubrication, sealing, or cushioning. But I would think there would still be better fluids than oils for heat transfer.

Can anyone shed light on this subject for me please?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 68

Re: Why is oil used for coolant?

11/30/2015 1:36 PM

Transformer oil or insulating oil is an oil that is stable at high temperatures and has excellent electrical insulating properties. It is used in oil-filled transformers, some types of high-voltage capacitors, fluorescent lamp ballasts, and some types of high-voltage switches and circuit breakers. Its functions are to insulate, suppress corona and arcing, and to serve as a coolant.

Good Answers: 210
In reply to #1

11/30/2015 2:25 PM

transmission fluid is too expensive

Register to Reply
Associate

11/30/2015 1:50 PM

I never thought about the protection of the electrical side. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

11/30/2015 1:51 PM

Oil is used because:

1. It is non-corrosive therefore it will not cause and will help prevent oxidization of components.

2. The cost is very low.

3. It is not electrically conductive therefore it will not cause shorting or grounding of the conductors.

4. It maintains heat conducting properties throughout a wide range of temperature values.

5. It presents a very low environmental risk when compared to other cooling fluids.

Good Answers: 589

11/30/2015 2:34 PM

Good place to store PCBs

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member United Kingdom - Big Ben - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Altair 8800 - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 119

11/30/2015 4:28 PM

oil will not freeze in outdoor lines

oil is not corrosive, like water or antifreeze is.

oil insulates

oil is cheap,

Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 203

Re: Why is Oil Used for Coolant?

12/01/2015 6:03 AM

There is also the fact that the oils used do not boil at 100C.

Saw the result of a "cooling" line run at 120C with water. Catastrophic issues when ruptured and turned to steam. (Process temperature was over 240C)

The lines in a solar system could conceivably get hotter than 100C, so using oil is safer.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

12/01/2015 9:01 AM

For specific applications, there there are better fluids than oils, but the properties of oil and its price make it a good value.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 82

12/01/2015 11:11 AM

All of the above.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

12/28/2015 5:09 AM

Engine coolant not only cools the internal components of an engine but helps with the oil as well. Coolant passes from the water pump through the engine coolant passages in the block surrounding the cylinders and up through the cylinder heads.

Oil to the valve train returns to the oil pan through holes in the cylinder head, therefore the coolant mixture assists in lowering the temperature of the oil in the process. Additional cooling of the engine oil becomes more of a necessity as engines run at higher revolutions per minute, are turbocharged or by pulling heavy loads.Oil tends to drop in viscosity as it's heated. At the proper temperature range, oil also maintains higher oil pressure and lubricates more efficiently.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

aurizon (1); dj95401 (1); Enersol (1); Fredski (1); Just an Engineer (1); Rixter (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); silver123 (1); StandardsGuy (1); welderman (1)

Previous in Forum: Electron Sharing and Bonding   Next in Forum: Single Pass vs Double Pass Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems

Advertisement