CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Computer Backup Systems   Next in Forum: More Win 10 Insanity
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81

AutoCAD 2D Transfer Information

12/02/2015 6:24 AM

I have a drawing in AutoCad Mechanical 2016 which shows our factory & all of the services, plant, phones, people, 1st aid etc. Each of these items is on a separate layer & I update them as things change or new items are added. Somewhere along the line I have lost information from this drawing so, for instance, I have a layer showing all the gas bottles on site but, with this layer turned on, no drawing features are shown. This has happened on multiple layers. I have found an older 'recover' drawing which has all of this information intact but some of the information is out of date.

My question is this;

Is there a way of copying a complete layer or multiple layers including all of the lines, text, blocks etc. from the old drawing to the new one. I have to confess that, although I used to be proficient in 2D AutoCAD, I struggle now as I mainly work in Inventor so I'm hoping someone can suggest a simple solution.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

Re: AutoCAD 2D Transfer Information

12/02/2015 7:00 AM

I would check all of the layer control options to be sure that nothing has been accidentally turned off, frozen, locked, put on the defpoints layer, etc.

In reply to #1

12/02/2015 7:32 AM

In layer manager I did a 'select all' then made sure everything was visible, unlocked & unfrozen. My current drawing still has all of the discrete layers but no drawing features.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

12/02/2015 7:50 AM

Yes, there is a old program that use to come with AutoCAD, I thing you have to get it off the internet now.

It can grab selection sets, such as layers, blocks, colors line type, etc....

There are a number of ways of using it.

The program file is SSX.lsp you can load it, and initiate it,

• select the selection set,
  • and hit return.
  • you can list at the command line type 'List' hit return
  • and type 'p' (for previous) This selects the previous selection set.

and shows what you selected.

Then you can block it off (or 'wblock' it, this will write it as a dwg file.

And insert it in the drawing.)

That's one way.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #3

12/02/2015 8:11 AM

You can combine different selection set also. but this should get you going.

In reply to #3

12/02/2015 8:20 AM

That programme is still available & looks like it will work but I have realised that there is an easy fix. With both drawings open on the same screen, I can turn on the layers one at a time. Then I can copy the features I want from the old drawing & 'paste to original coordinates' in the later drawing. A bit long winded as I have about 30 layers but it works.

In reply to #5

12/02/2015 8:43 AM

what ever works for you

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Still a New Member

12/03/2015 2:33 AM

Hi There, Select what you want to copy, left click, clipboard-copy with base point, Open a new tab, then left click, clipboard- Paste to original coordinates.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #7

12/03/2015 4:07 AM

Yes, that's what I eventually realised I could do & have now transferred all of the information across AND saved another back-up copy. I should have figured this out earlier but I'm hopelessly out of practice with the 2D drawing. Thanks for all the replies.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BubbleRob (1); Nigh (3); phoenix911 (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Computer Backup Systems   Next in Forum: More Win 10 Insanity

Advertisement