CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Threaded Rod Buckling and Sagging   Next in Forum: Is This a Loadbearing Wall in Vaulted Ceiling Home?
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Participant

Best Firms for Substation Engineering?

12/03/2015 6:03 PM

What are some of the best firms for a young substation engineer to apply with regards to career progression? Worst?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: Best Firms for Substation Engineering?

12/03/2015 6:10 PM

You've got it all backwards.

A better question to ask is, what can I do as a young substation engineer to prepare myself for success as a substation engineer in the future?

You can't start at the top.

Hard work will get you farther than anything else.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Power-User

12/04/2015 7:47 AM

Preferably best working on a contractor for substation equipment installation or later on move on to design, implementation and consultancy firms with continuing education. Substation maintenance might not be that fast for a wonderful learning experience, though I do not say you learn nothing from being in a maintenance team in a company. Its just that, most corporation management preferred to subcontract to external service providers big repair jobs thus, you have less action and hands on experience just monitoring their progress.

I also agree with Lyn. Learning involves hard work and interest.

Good luck!

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

12/04/2015 10:21 AM

"Which firm is the best for a young substation engineer?" is a very subjective question that can only be answered by the person asking the question.

If you are going to be comfortable with spending your entire career with one company the choice is much different than if you are going to use the system to your advantage for opening your own firm one day in the future.

Smaller engineering firms tend to pay less and have fewer benefits however their engineers are exposed to a much broader spectrum of engineering disciplines and they are expected to perform at a much higher output at a much higher quality level which in turn provides learning opportunities one will most likely never get at a large firm.

Most large firms tend to offer specialized services to their clients therefore one must make a choice which field to enter. (Maintenance, Design, or Installation & Startup?)

In my opinion working for a small firm early on in one's career is extremely good for refining skillsets and identifying which way to proceed in the future.

You may well have to experience several different employers and many different work assignments before you identify what makes you happy and satisfied.

My advice is find out what type of substation engineering you would like to do then find a way to refine that particular set of skills and lastly find the employer that pays the most for the skill set you have to offer.

Applying at/with substation construction firms is a good way to get your feet wet and be exposed to all facets of substation engineering requirements.

If you are in the USA some such larger companies are: Bechtel, Jacobs, LDP, Power Engineers.

If you will perform a web search and visit the employer's employment page you will find there are many opportunities however you may have to be willing to relocate and/or travel in the beginning of your career.

All employers and all job assignments yield good experiences and knowledge if one applies themselves.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 65
In reply to #3

12/10/2015 7:12 PM

That was well stated and sound advice!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 682

12/17/2015 5:35 AM

A1) One that will hire <...a young substation engineer...>.

A2) One that won't hire <...a young substation engineer...>.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dj95401 (1); lyn (1); Mr. small (1); PWSlack (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1)

Previous in Forum: Threaded Rod Buckling and Sagging   Next in Forum: Is This a Loadbearing Wall in Vaulted Ceiling Home?

Advertisement