CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: AutoCAD 2D Transfer Information   Next in Forum: Happy Birthday, Ada
Close
Close
Close
70 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 631

More Win 10 Insanity

12/06/2015 4:21 AM

A message popped up on my PC saying "Schedule your free Windows 10 Upgrade"
I thought maybe I should have a look... I click on it and...
It tells me my PC (video driver/monitor) isn't compatible with Win 10.
Bleedin' cheek ... what it actually means is. Win 10 isn't compatible with my PC. Not the other way round.
You don't buy a car only to find the windscreen is only transparent above the UV band and "You are not compatible with the car".
WALOOB!
Del

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 201

Re: More Win 10 Insanity

12/06/2015 7:08 AM

Turn it off, wait a few minutes, turn it on again.

The ultimate solution to any Fenetre issue, isn't it?

Good Answers: 1588

12/06/2015 9:03 AM

Stay far, far away from anything that says W10.

Microsoft is moving to rented operating systems that reside in their cloud and not on your machine.

Don't pay their outrageous fees, and all your data goes poof.................................

Windows Office costs $69.00 per YEAR.

Windows 10: No Loss Leader for Microsoft

"Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said that Windows 10 won't be a priced to keep users in the Microsoft ecosystem.

"We haven't announced the Windows 10 pricing framework yet. But the one thing I can tell you that we've not had any conversations on is Windows 10 being a loss leader for us," he said at the Credit Suisse technology conference."

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

12/06/2015 11:42 AM

I bought a new desktop with win 10 on black friday, just looked like a good deal...i5 with 8g ram and 2 tb hd for $390 and a new monitor 21.5 for $65....what a deal...anyway, it's working quite well so far, I like the built in wifi that found a secure connection on it's own....I'm using my laptop with win 7 and the desktop with win 10 about 50/50....I compare the 2....no issues so far....

In reply to #3

12/06/2015 1:16 PM

Sounds like a good deal. I think I'll sit on this PC until it needs replacing and then I won't have much choice. This monitor needs fixing/replacing soon anyhow... hum bars scrolling up the screen...... dunno if I can be arsed to try and get into it and replace the big electrolytics.

Del

Good Answers: 162
In reply to #4

12/07/2015 12:11 AM

"hum bars scrolling up the screen...."

Are you still using a CRT? I just helped a friend replace his (then top-of-the-line) 1990 CRT with a flat screen he found at a thrift store for $5. A huge improvement! The only problem was finding an adapter to match his 1990 (yep - it is still working, and he's still using it) computer's old low-density DB15 video output with the more modern VGA connector. I had to dig to find it, but I had one...

In reply to #8

12/07/2015 3:03 AM

No it's a flat screen, but it's still powered from 50Hz AC and has a power supply so as the electrolytic smoothing capacitors age there is more ripple on the supply to the LCD which is visible as hum bars.

Del

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #4

12/07/2015 4:38 PM

I switched to Ubuntu on all of my machines several months ago, and have had no issues, and the amount of available software is amazing. Screen layout is similar to Windoz, everything seems to function better, and updates seamlessly run in the background and don't interfere. I wish I'd made the switch years ago.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #19

12/08/2015 3:00 PM

I was using Ubuntu, then they changed their desktop to be more 'smartphone' and less 'classic computer,' so I jumped ship to Linux Mint. Mint is a development fork off of Ubuntu, which is a child of Debian Linux. (You need to know this stuff when getting programs from outside the 'marketplace' style program manager, especially if you're looking to stick in 'precompiled' programs from outside sources.)

You can get Mint with either the Gnome desktop (the desktop that Ubuntu was using) or with the Cinamon desktop (a new, 'Gnome-like' desktop designed specifically for Mint).

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #20

12/08/2015 4:10 PM

So if I am a windows 3.1 to win7 (except NT, and vista) guy which one would you recommend?

Drew K

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #21

12/09/2015 9:18 AM

You're more familiar with 'keyboard & mouse' style computing than 'smartphone' style, so I'd recommend Linux Mint with Cinnamon, It'll feel almost exactly like the Windows you remember, except a bit faster and not as buggy.

You can find details here: http://linuxmint.com/

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #26

01/11/2016 9:37 AM

Oh, one detail I forgot to mention, LibreOffice may SEEM slower to start up than MSOffice, but that is because Windows loads the core files of MS Office during the boot-up, when it's loading the Windows drivers for the hardware and you're getting all those 'splash screens' for your graphics and sound cards. If memory serves, LibreOffice has a setting you can adjust to have it 'pre-load' as well. It uses up some system recources, but if you're more concerned with how fast the program's window comes up after double-clicking the icon, this might be the setting you want.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

12/06/2015 1:33 PM

Beware of the loss of security and independence with W10.

They steal everything, passwords, search history, band account # everything.

And you have no control over the future changes they can make, without your permission.

Or, you can just trust Microsoft yo do the right thing.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #5

12/07/2015 4:21 AM

Oh man this cannot be more true.

If anyone decides to take the leap make ABSOLUTELY sure you pick advanced/custom install. Then be prepared to decline an enormous amount of services whose only purpose is to steal your data and track your computing habits.

Windows 10 is Microsoft malware, plain and simple. I feel sorry for the non tech savvy people who choose automatic installation.

While Windows 10 works and is usable, you won't find me upgrading from windows 7 for a long time. If vital software requires Windows 10 it'll either be run in a sandbox ed VM or a separate machine altogether.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #10

12/10/2015 1:29 PM

So, I run a Mac for most things I do at home, but also have a PC for certain applications.

My wife, on the other hand, runs Windows - I have told her to ignore the Win10 free upgrade stuff until I complete my research. But she heard yesterday that 'they have fixed most bugs' and to download it. Which she did, without my guidance, and chose all default 'recommended' settings.

This I found out upon arriving home last night, just as the install was wrapping up. First 10 minutes, she was blissfully happy... then her computer restarted without warning... then it started running really slow and she couldn't figure out why... upon inspection I found it backing up her entire system to 'the cloud'.

The balance of the night, and this morning, before I was lucky enough to have to leave for work, was full of her reactions to her computer now operating her, rather than the other way around.

In reply to #29

12/10/2015 3:58 PM

All the more reason the hate the gang of thieves at Microsoft.

Pity all the poor SOBs that will have it pre-installed when they buy their next PC.

They won't even know that Bill and his gang of thieves at Microsoft will have access to every keystroke, password, bank account information, prescription drug/medical record, e-mail web site etc etc.

And very soon we will be forced to pay for these acts of theft and fraud.

Just think what devastation the hackers will be able to cause with your personal information.

What a sin.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 110

12/06/2015 1:50 PM

Theres a very good way of blocking the Win 10 upgrade prompt.It's on CR4 - happy hunting . Anyways, it seves you right - WFWG is fun, but spend some dosh and get up to date.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #6

12/07/2015 6:17 AM

Long time no see. Been on holidays? Bath perhaps?

In reply to #11

12/09/2015 6:23 AM

You should see how wrinkly my skin has gotten . Bath is a spa town, evidently enough, and if the water tastes anything like Harrogate, I ain't going anytime soon.Maybe I should get some of that skin softening bath wash stuff, but it sounds a bit girly .

Not sure who's thread, but there's a very good utility out there which can (so far) kill off microsoft's nagging about upgrade to weWinuloose 10. It's possible to do so manually, but that might get tricky if you decide to backtrack and haven't noted every step. As good as the utility is, none of us can escape forever (unless we migrate to Penguin or some such).

Good Answers: 24

12/06/2015 2:52 PM

I'm very happy with down graded Win 8.1 unit. Win 7 Pro with updates turned off works flawlessly. Thanks for the help

Register to Reply
Guru

12/07/2015 7:50 AM

When I upgrade from win 7, i will be going to linux. I kept win xp for just about as long as I could because I didn't like the other crap microsoft put out. I might have to get a good sandbox to run microsoft office though.

Drew K

In reply to #12

12/07/2015 7:53 AM

I tried Rafael. As I wasn't able to run 3rd party software (Corel), I removed it. Other than that, it seemed to work fine.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

12/07/2015 8:12 AM

Yeah, I have heard that I will face a learning curve in figuring out how to run the software I want to run. To run Corel you need a windows emulator. It is a program that will usually open a window that pretends it is a windows desktop.

Drew K

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

12/07/2015 9:53 AM

My wife updated her laptop to WIN10 and we are having continuous issues with it.

I have to "fix" it at least 1-2 times per week.

I was forced to update pretty much all of our software versions and firmware.

You may be able to drill down into the WIN10 configuration and initiate/select the video driver to operate in whatever WIN version compatibility mode needed.

WIN10 continuously makes changes to the Desktop and other program menus by deleting or changing icons, deleting tool boxes and option selection commands, keyboard function, email, favorites selection, viewing options, the screen view, etc.

This is supposedly being done automatically based on how the user operates the machine on a daily basis to make it easier for the user. (BS! WHAT A PAIN IN THE KEESTER!)

WIN10 also utilizes "WINDOWS _ MICROSOFT EDGE" to monitor every keystroke, every internet site visited, what items are selected for viewing, and pretty much anything and everything you do when using the machine and then downloads all of it to the Microsoft Cloud for unrestricted access and distribution by Microsoft to whomever they choose.

This process requires an extreme amount of memory and CPU operating time which also causes extreme machine slow down and/or stalling of most computers if not removed upon exiting access to the internet. (The older the machine, the worse the affect is.)

The standard Windows browsing and history deletion software does not delete any of the Edge tracking cookies nor collected DATA files so I have purchased PIRIFORM CCLEANER which does an excellent job of keeping the machine operating at good speed.

BE AWARE THAT USING A PROGRAM SUCH AS CCLEANER DELETES ALL TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES NOT REQUIRED TO OPERATE THE MACHINE AND WILL DELETE STORED PASSWORDS.

One more heads-up; If you start the WIN10 installation, it is not possible to totally delete all of the downloaded files unless you take the machine to a computer repair shop that has the proper hardware card and machine to physically attach to the motherboard and clean the hard drive and flash memory.

But don't worry, be happy because a new "fix" is on the way from "Big-Brother" Microsoft.

In reply to #15

12/07/2015 12:42 PM

"WIN10 also utilizes "WINDOWS _ MICROSOFT EDGE" to monitor every keystroke, every internet site visited, what items are selected for viewing, and pretty much anything and everything you do when using the machine and then downloads all of it to the Microsoft Cloud for unrestricted access and distribution by Microsoft to whomever they choose."

This is why I will NEVER have a W 10 personal machine.

My work PC is about to be updated/replaced which will mean that I will run two PCs at work after that. One for me and one for big brother.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121
In reply to #16

12/10/2015 11:33 AM

Unfortunately the IT group where I work will not allow any personal PC or any other electronic devices on site so my options at work are very limited.

The company's concern for employee productivity is far overshadowed by the "choke hold" being exerted by our IT department scare tactics and security limitations.

In reply to #27

12/10/2015 12:25 PM

At more than one job I had to get them to give me permission to have admin rights on my machine so I could do what I needed to do. Sometimes engineering requires new software or the ability to make changes to the computer; they got tired of me asking them to do it and I convinced them I knew what I was doing so I got what I needed...eventually.

Drew K

In reply to #28

01/07/2016 3:47 PM

And some industrial software had its core written before Windoze implemented the 'admin/user' separation of permissions, so the SOFTWARE needs admin rights to update its settings in the Registry every time it tries to shut down.

(Won't name names, but it's a Vision System program)

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #28

03/06/2017 2:10 PM

Likewise...small firm and I got on well with a couple of the IT bods. Not so easy at a multi-national....

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 175
In reply to #27

01/08/2016 1:22 AM

I don't use Edge because it hijacked Adobe Reader (AR). When I clicked on .pdfs, they opened in Edge, even though I had previously had AR configured to open them.

20 seconds to take care of it.

I do not use Edge. (did I already say that?)

The last place I worked, the IT dept was the same way . In my current position, I am lucky in that, since I do some of the PLC programming, they found it easier to let me be my own administrator.

In reply to #37

03/06/2017 3:50 PM

"In my current position, I am lucky in that, since I do some of the PLC programming, they found it easier to let me be my own administrator."

Yeah, who'd've(1) thought that PLC program programmers(2) would be too lazy to update their barely-out-of-DOS software to be compatible with the "Only Admins and viruses get full access to the computer" environment of today.

Notes:

1. I know you're not supposed to stack contracted suffixed, but I'm being colloquial here.
  2. Try saying that three times fast.
Register to Reply
Guru

12/07/2015 12:58 PM

Hmmmm, it looks like I may be looking for my next PC to be running Linux.
Del

Good Answers: 6

12/07/2015 12:59 PM

I am not comfortable with the built in Tracking feature which allows Microsoft to track any Device with Windows 10 installed, whether it is powered up or not.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

12/09/2015 3:21 AM

Hi Del,

You said: It tells me my PC (video driver/monitor) isn't compatible with Win 10.

Well, how old is your video card (I really doubt that the monitor is the issue)?

How long has it been since you updated your video drivers?

I am not saying that you don't have a valid complaint but...

The older we get (I'm 58), the more we want things to remain the same, it seems. I see so much antipathy toward MS, but for the wrong reasons. Sure, they behave much like a monopoly, and there are always issues with a new OS.

I recently built my own 4GHz 8-core Athlon FX-8350 with 32GB memory system and decided to install a fresh (not upgrade via the ICON) installation. Since then (Aug), I have had no issues - never had to reboot for lockup or anything.

There has been a lot of curmudgeonly(Lyn) negative talk about W10 security which I can't blame, because I understand. However, there are settings in W10 that will take care of this. It is more customizable in this respect than WXP or W7 ever were.

So, what was the model of your video card, and when was the last time you updated the drivers?

12/09/2015 6:26 AM

Might be a daft question, but is the current computer running Windows ? If so, it must be XP or lower (?).

12/09/2015 8:05 AM

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
There are drivers that will work, but not at the displays highest resolution.
The PC is running "Windows 7 Home Premium".

I'd have thought the default assumption would be "Del's not daft" ... but what do I know?

Del

In reply to #25

12/10/2015 5:18 PM

erm....the daft question was the one I asked at #24, not that it was exactly daft, just seeking clarification.

In reply to #31

12/11/2015 4:57 AM

I was just pullin' yo' fluffty tail dude

Del

In reply to #32

12/11/2015 12:30 PM

01/07/2016 7:42 PM

I've had 2 computers crash on me recently. It's going to be a pain finding someone who can supply new ones without Windows 10. I'm not even sure if I can wipe a pre-installed invasion of Win 10.

Windows 7, I have come around to, but my best system runs on Windows XP.. I still have my dos discs, and aint afraid to use them. I could of course go Linux, but am at a loss with so many choices. Microslop may well have just put the final nail in it's coffin. It's about time somebody did, they may as well do it themselves.

In reply to #35

01/08/2016 1:05 AM

I am sorry about your issues, and it is certainly a good policy to stay with the tried-and-true. However, and I'm not making light of the problems you are having, I made the jump to 10 about 4 months ago on my main box, and 2 months ago on my workhorse. I have been running several open-source programs, some older programs, and various other programs that were not written with W10 in mind. I have not even had to invoke compatibility mode on any of them.

I was able to configure the privacy settings so that I feel my identity is safe - I don't have adware problems.

From a personal standpoint, I don't see why people, especially the engineering elite here, have a problem with it, except that they are probably still (and probably always will be) holding a grudge because of past frustrations (AND YES, I'VE HAD THEM TOO, AND THEY ARE MANY) with any number of MS OSs.

If you have no recourse, and end up having to "bite the bullet", and have problems with the 10 bomb, I would be happy to give my assistance.

Linux is good, but there is always a fair amount of tweaking involved.

To let you know that Windows is not my only OS choice, I also am running a computer with CAELinux, a Ubuntu-based Engineering package: http://caelinux.com/CMS/

Let us know what you find out - maybe you'll be able to get an XP or Win7 machine!

In reply to #36

01/10/2016 4:51 AM

Your input is much appreciated.

One of my objections to Win 10 is that is seems designed to put us all in 'the cloud'. If I have software and data then it's mine, and I don't trust some other party to do a caretaker task with it. My understanding of that may be wrong, but my experience is that Microsoft improvements are nothing of the sort.

Win 7 is fine, but it simply does not do anything better than XP. I'm currently tapping on a machine with Vista (). Microsoft have been in the game of reinventing the wheel each year to keep sales up. My impression is that Win 10 is a move to getting people to pay on a subscription basis. That's fair enough, they have to fight piracy and make money, but let me make an analogy; Would you be happy if told you could never own a car, that you had to rent it on, as yet, fairly unclear terms. With Win 10 we are tenants, forever wondering about what terms the landlod may impose.

Kick my ass if wrong, but I have found your input interesting and hopefully useful.

Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #39

01/10/2016 3:05 PM

I have win 8.1 after a free upgrade from 8.0. It also wants the cloud. I have made the settings to not use it. There are many apps that want a microsoft account. So far I have opted not to do that. Considering this, is there that much difference in going to win 10? what is the experience here with having a microsoft account?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #42

01/10/2016 8:26 PM

Ive never used any variant of Win 8, but have heard that if adjusted it can work OK. I'll be interested to read what anybody with hands on knowledge has to say.

End of the day, I'll likely get somebody to supply a custom spec pc then add either XP or Win 7.It's a bit like buying a mobile phone - thesedays they come with all sorts of gizmo installed, but all I want is what it's callled. A pocket size gadget that I can use for phone calls. A phone is a phone. Sorry all, I'm sounding like a grumpy old luddite git. The almost yearly need to upgrade whatever gadget seriously annoys me. Perhaps I should get a cloth cap and accept that I've become like Victor Meldrew.

In reply to #44

01/10/2016 8:46 PM

First, since the IBM 8082 came along, I've always had an "IT person" to keep my machines in order at work and have been able to keep up with all the Windows OSs, until W8 came along.

It was a totally foreign experience and like learning a foreign language.

Want to back up your PC? Nope, that feature has been dropped. It's now called something else and is hidden from users. It's File History and in a different location.

That's my biggest complaint, that you have to re-learn how to use familiar features, not because they're better, but just because!

And, you're forced to use apps for many features that were built in before.

The display may as well be in Sanskrit, and you are almost forced to use a touch screen.

Classic Shell addition is a must to get a "somewhat" usable screen.

I'm going to avoid w 10 like the plague because it steals all your personal data (keystroke copy) and GIVES it to anyone Microsoft wants. Passwords, bank account data, credit card info, they will have it all. They also have the right to report any thing you do that they don't like.

They force updates on you and will change the rules any time they have the whim.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #45

01/12/2016 2:35 AM

Lyn, you said: "I'm going to avoid w 10 like the plague because it steals all your personal data (keystroke copy) and GIVES it to anyone Microsoft wants. Passwords, bank account data, credit card info, they will have it all."

You are truly paranoid! You can configure Win10, more specifically than any previous Windows OS, to protect your computer from any of this.

You're taking the defense. Well, hide in your little bunker! I'm choosing to face it head on and not get caught flat-footed!

In reply to #49

01/12/2016 3:02 AM

Microsoft loves guys like you. I hear the words you/they speak. Do I believe them? Nope. Could I be wrong? Maybe, we'll see.

I've got until July to decide if I want to drink the W10 kool aid.

So far, it looks like a NO!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #45

01/12/2016 4:59 PM

Thanks.

Unfotunately (or maybe not) I've never had an IT expert to hand and have learnt most of what I know, right from the days of dos, by I sort of suck it and see process. Making a mess of things is often the best way to learn.

My understaning is that Win 8 was designed specifically for touch screen. Everyhing else being reinvented wheels to persuade folk they need that upgrade. Not much help to those who prefer more conventional pointing devices.

Maybe I need to invest in some carrier pigeons and relearn the art of handwriting.

Touchscreen may make sense on a small gadet like a phone, but I can't see that it makes ergonomic sense on anything bigger.

In reply to #54

01/12/2016 6:18 PM

Microsoft knows what's best for you.

Besides, if they didn't jumble everything up and make you spend hours relearning what you already knew how could they tell you it was better.

W10 will very likely be the last OS microsoft lets you think you own.

After that it will rain down from the cloud, as long as you pay your monthly bill.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #55

01/13/2016 4:17 PM

I don't think microsoft are even trying to kid people that they will own the o/s. They are trying to sneak it onto peoples computers, and it's reasonably evident that they'll want to screw money out of people one way or another.

The notion of migrating to a different brand leaves me gulping, but microsoft have now got to a position whereby many people will do so. I'll cling on as long as I can, but it seems certain that if I want to retain control and privacy it will mean learning a totally new (to me) o/s.

In reply to #59

02/05/2016 3:50 PM

Linux Mint isn't that bad, it's like what Windows XP was supposed to be, but less buggy.

You'll also find a whole COMMUNITY of people willing to help out on the Linux forums.

You ARE comfortable talking to people on forums for advice, right?

(Holy cow, I just learned that you can resize the smilies on here.)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #61

02/05/2016 4:27 PM

For sure, CR4 is always my best sourrce on info,

IOBOIT now have a free utilility that can make the horribble Win 8.1 screen look more like XP, a start button that does what it says, but I'm almost certain that I'm gonna go Penguin. In the midde of moving house, but in a few months I'm fairly certain that my new systems will be up on Linux. I very much like the community spirit that seems to exist within Linux. Happy days are nearly here !

In reply to #62

02/11/2016 8:23 AM

Moving house? Do you need help with the bath?

Drew K

In reply to #63

02/11/2016 5:08 PM

rofl ! I still have a small chunk (I think) that lurks in the back garden. Something just told me to keep a bit. Perhaps I can slice it into 1 inch chunks, encapsulate in resin, and sell for my retirement fund ? Mailing to potential customers might be a problem - various national customs officers thinking, "what on earth....?". Darn, it may be worth remembering to pack that chunk of memorabilia. Anybody not bidding enough money will get sent two chunks - IHS might be surprised at just how much arrives on the doorstep one day !

In reply to #64

02/12/2016 7:36 AM

I bet there are a few of us from the thread that shall not be named that would laugh to have a chunk of that sacred cistern of cleanliness!

Drew K

In reply to #65

02/13/2016 4:08 PM

You're on my list of preferred customers, Drew.

United Kingdom - Member - Hearts of Oak Popular Science - Paleontology - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 75
In reply to #54

03/06/2017 2:43 PM

Have you not been watching Star Trek New Generation, or any of the CSI/NICS SHOWS? "Everyone" (i.e. under 30s) want a magic transparent swipescreen computer on which to solve crimes/problems instantly....

In reply to #68

03/07/2017 6:11 AM

Voice activation would be good, but might be tricky if I try to use after a heavy night down the pub.

In reply to #39

01/12/2016 2:22 AM

In some things, you are not wrong. MS is, I believe, leading the way to subscription-based computing. I think your analogy goes a bit far, because I think the terms are clear. I have no desire or intention of kicking your ass even if your were totally wrong and I was entirely right. Things just don't work that way.

With Windows 10, my desire is to learn it so well that I can "beat the system". I have no real love for Microsoft, but they have definitely contributed a great deal to today's computing practices, a lot of it good.

You are correct in that they are "pushing the cloud"; I want to find a way to disable/silence their asking you to subscribe.

When saving a file, the latest version of MS Office offers, at the top of the list, OneDrive, your personal hard drive space from a server in Sandusky, OH or bum****, Egypt - you just don't know where your file is being kept.

I'm tired and can't talk more now. Any more specific problems, I would be interested in knowing.

In reply to #35

01/08/2016 10:59 AM

"I'm not even sure if I can wipe a pre-installed invasion of Win 10."

Sure you can, it's easy. Installing OSes is handled by the BIOS on the motherboard, the OS cannot stop you there, because it's not active yet.

1. Get/make an install disk for Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint. (Recommended to use the latest Linux Mint, with Cinnamon Desktop.)
  2. Turn on the computer with the pre-installed invasion of Win10, quickly press the CD eject button, insert the Linux Install CD, and close the disk tray.
  3. The computer should boot to the CD, giving you a Linux desktop.
  4. There should be an icon labeled 'install Linux' or similar, double-click on that.
  5. The menus in there should give you the option to wipe the HD and do a completely clean install, select that option.
  6. Wait for installation to finish, answer prompts as needed.

Congradulations, you have wiped Win10 from the computer. If the system will not let you boot off the CD in step 3. you need to go into the BIOS menu (press either [Del] or [F10] at the motherboard splash screen, it will say which on the screen, although it may be too brief to read and then hit the key the first time around) and adjust the boot order of the drives so it looks at the CD drive before any Hard Disk Drives.

If you have the install disks for Win7 or WinXP, you can try installing them now over Linux, but A) depending on the state of the software activation key servers, you may not be able to activate a new system on your existing key, or the dervers may be deactivated, preventing ANYONE from activating ANY copy of WinXP anymore, and B) why not try Linux out a bit before you make the change? You may find that Mint/Cinnamon does just what you needed XP to do, but less glitchy.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #38

01/10/2016 4:57 AM

Cheers, great info.

Would Win 10 somehow get into the MFT ? Easiest solution I can think of is to just get a new Hard Drive + o/s of choice. On one of the threads there is a link to a good way of preventing Win 10 auto-inserting itself. I don't have that link to hand, but it's there if you search related chats on CR4.

In reply to #35

01/10/2016 8:25 AM

Linux may not be an option, it doesn't like 3rd party software. As long as you have your XP disks you are good to go. The only issue being, new hardware may not run. Of course you will have to have the computer custom made or restored. If that is the case, I would recommend you have your computer guru, build at least one before the motherboards are no longer available. As for downgrading from 10, it may not be possible, but custom computers that run on 7 Pro will be available for awhile.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #41

01/10/2016 8:12 PM

My info may be pot of date, but with a 'normal' XP install disc you can't use it on another computer. Fair enough of them to stop piracy, but if a person simply wants to swap out a component on their system they are stuffed. I've not yet found myself in that situation, so I'm not 100 % sure, but it would take a lengthy chat with mcrosoft to persuade hem that I was just changing out some hardware. As part of the validation process an individual instal disc is linked to various ID data on a machine.

I'm increasingly drawn to Linux, but there are so many flavours I don't know where best to start. I've still got a few computers that are fine, but all I need of a new one is that it can securely be used for internet browsing and email. Were it not for RAM and processor speed I've still got systems, over 10 years old, than are capable of doing that. A tad slow, but they can perform those basic functions.

In reply to #41

01/11/2016 9:29 AM

If you're not a fan of Linux, you don't need to use it as an OS, just as a boot disk that does not have the Microsoft code of "This drive has a boot block on it, and it has Windows system files, therefore I will REFUSE to reformat it since nobody would delibrately delete Windows, and an accidental deletion of Windows would upset the computer illiterate user who just tried to format the C: drive."

Also, how can Linux 'not like 3rd party software'? It's an Open Source system; ALL its software and half its System files are 'third party.' GIMP is maintained by an independent group separate from the group that maintains LibreOffice, and neither of them have any ties to the group that maintains Audacity, or the group that keeps VLC updated. And as far as I know, NONE of the people on ANY of those teams work for Debian, or Red Hat, or Ubuntu, or the Linux Mint group.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #46

01/12/2016 7:31 AM

True, I downloaded Linux via Tixati, when I tried to load Tixati after installing Rafael, it wouldn't load. A Linux guru responded by stating we don't support piracy. They also don't allow Corel Word Perfect. While they do offer a wp that opens Corel, I didn't like it. I went from Win 8.1 to Rafael back to 8.1 and am now mostly happy with Win 7 Pro. Though some of my older software doesn't like 64 bit processors. The other issue is finding a USB3 driver for Win 7 Pro. I've other things to mess with.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #51

01/12/2016 9:53 AM

"True, I downloaded Linux via Tixati, when I tried to load Tixati after installing Rafael, it wouldn't load. A Linux guru responded by stating we don't support piracy."

I don't know what Tiaxi is, but it sounds to me like Tiaxi is paid licensed software, and that the developer has not made a Linux-friendly build. If a developer is charging money for a program, and they do not want to make a Linux version at this time, then it is not available on Linux, period. It's like asking for a Windows version of MacPaint: If apple does not want to make it available on that plat form, it's not available.

"They also don't allow Corel Word Perfect."

Again, Corel does not make a Linux version of Word Perfect, what you CAN find is LibreOffice, an Open Source word processor that is available on Linux. Windows, Macintosh, etc. which CAN read/write most WordPerfect and MSWord files.

Perhaps my experience with computers growing up gives me a unique perspective(1), but one should not get hung up on 'brand names' when it comes to computing. I do not know 'Lotus123' or 'Excell,' I know 'spreadsheets,' I understand what they all do in common, and from that I can work with any 'brand' of spreadsheet. Until I familiarize myself with the things that 'brand' does in unique ways, the spreadsheets I make may not be the most compact, most efficient, or quickest to run through its calculations, but it will work. If you MUST use Corel Word Perfect, then the vendor has 'locked you in' to using only the computing platforms THEY decide to release WordPerfect on, and there is little I can do to help you. How did that old Beatles line go: "You say that it's the Institution? Well, you know ... you better free your mind instead." The world of Linux is for those willing to cast aside the shackles of preconceived notions, those who are ready, eager even, to make mistakes every day and to learn from those mistakes. It's not for everyone. My younger brother, for example, is going to stay with Windows until the day he dies, because he's the type who does not want to 'work on' his computer, he just wants to 'use' it.(2)

Notes:

1. When I first started with computers, I was learning on a Timex Sinclair 1000, and helping my classmates when they had trouble with their TRS-80's, then I was working on a Commodore 64 while helping classmates and friends with their IBM's, then I was working on a Commodore Amiga while helping people with Windows Boxes. So I was always learning two different systems in parallel, comparing and contrasting them against each other.
  2. Not to say I don't have any 'I don't want to learn everything about it, I just want to use it' tendencies. As much as I love my Jeep Wrangler, I'm not the 'motorhead' or 'gearhead' type to do all the maintenance myself. I know the basics of how engines and transmissions work, but for any maintenance beyond topping off the Windshield Washer Fluid or refilling the gas tank, I take it in to a trusted mechanic. I don't even change my own oil(3).
  3. Although that last part is more about the hassles of disposing of the waste oil than it being too 'car stuff' for me. My mechanic's garage has a huge tank under the building to collect the waste oil from all the oil changes, and he has a guy that comes along to collect that oil and take it to the treatment plant, recycling center, or oil laundromat that it needs to go to. Bottom line, the system is all set up there, so I don't need to drive around with filthy bottles of black, gritty oil in the back of my car looking for someplace to get rid of it, I just leave the work to the 'experts.'
Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #52

01/12/2016 10:13 AM

"...but one should not get hung up on 'brand names' when it comes to computing. I do not know 'Lotus123' or 'Excell,' I know 'spreadsheets,'..."

Exactly. When I was in Automotive working at a Tier 1, we had to be prepared and proficient in receiving engineering in any number of different types of software; Pro-E, Catia, AutoCAD, Microstation, Solid Edge, Solid Works, Inventor.

Hell, we even had a couple Mac Stations to deal with those that used Mac-Based applications to create/edit video, presentations, etc.

Software is a tool... being completely lost in Lotus123 or Numbers and only being able to use Excel is like only being able to use a certain brand of Tape Measure because the graphical variation in graduations and the return lock button in a different location on other brands confuses you too much.

In reply to #53

01/12/2016 8:46 PM

To JavaHead AND adreasler,

My sentiments exactly. Versatility is the key. Though, MS has irritated me very badly in the past, I see no need to keep that from knowing the emerging OSs (except Vista).

I've also used MAC/Apple systems as well as a couple of Linux-based ones, as well as a lot of specialized software pertaining to different subjects I was interested in. I feel that this makes me more competent and less dependent. Shrinking away from things I don't want to understand seems backward to me. If however, my only focus is monopolizing engineering sites, I can understand not wanting to mess with a new OS.

In reply to #56

01/13/2016 8:57 AM

If that somehow makes you feel superior, good for you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #56

01/13/2016 12:07 PM

I never said I didn't want to LEARN W10.

I just don't want it on my computer at home.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 6

01/17/2016 7:22 PM

I came across an article that may be of use to Home Versions of Windows 10 and some 8.1 OS.

This only applies if the computer you purchased supports encryption.

Unlike the Professional versions which give you a choice as to how to backup your recovery key, the Home Versions automatically backup your recovery key to Microsoft's servers.

Some here may be uncomfortable with Microsoft having their encryption key.

If that is the case go to https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey .

Sign in with the same Microsoft Account you first signed in with on that PC.

If you do not have any keys stored on Microsoft's servers you will see You do not have any Bitlocker Recovery Keys in your Microsoft account.

If you do have keys stored, copy and print out your keys and then click on which computer you want and a delete box will appear.

The idea of course was if you lose your key, Microsoft could help you to gain access.

Hope this helps someone.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 70 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (10); Del the cat (5); dkwarner (1); Drew K (6); English Rose (2); geraldpaxton (1); grandpaw (2); Iceberg86300 (1); JavaHead (2); JIMRAT (1); Just an Engineer (1); JWthetech (4); Kris (16); lyn (8); Mikerho (6); SHOCKHISCAN (2); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1)

Previous in Forum: AutoCAD 2D Transfer Information   Next in Forum: Happy Birthday, Ada

Advertisement