CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Common Core Math - An Engineering Dad's Nightmare   Next in Forum: Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12

Computer Science Education Week, December 7-13

12/08/2015 8:19 AM

Computer Science Education Week started yesterday, but it's not too late to celebrate. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (e.g., pre-IBM PCs) the definition of "computer science" was still pretty fluid. I worked at Carnegie Mellon then, and CS was for grad students only. And for males mostly, come to that, and the gender balance isn't improving. But that's another discussion.

How many of you out there in CR4 land are teachers -- whether formally in a school or informally on the job or as a parent?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Computer Science Education
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235

Re: Computer Science Education Week, December 7-13

12/08/2015 9:43 AM

Had been an instructor at USMA teaching CS105 and EE302 (Juice) back in the nineties. Teaching off-spring starting in 1990, still continuing to this day. Conducted training classes with my soldiers but learned more from them. Help plan and participate in STEM outreach programs with the company at local elementary, middle, and high schools. Teaching and learning should never end.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1127

12/08/2015 10:50 AM

I think of myself more as a professional student who shares information...

Good Answers: 1588

12/08/2015 7:02 PM

Dinosaur food.

I remember walking by this huge room in 1970something at a Motorola Government plant and wondering what the heck were they doing in there with this big sorting machine.

At first blush, I thought they must be sorting post cards.

Now, our coffee pot has more computing power.

Register to Reply
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #3

12/10/2015 9:34 AM

Ah, the IBM punch card, which inspired the facade design of a Robert Venturi building in Philadelphia (image from Friends of San Diego Architecture). The building was for decades the home of the Institute for Scientific Information. The building was remodeled in 2012 but the facade was not touched.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 14

12/08/2015 11:33 PM

Though I have been working in industries since 33 years I regularly interact with academics by giving guest lectures, teaching on part time basis assisting research projects etc.

Register to Reply
Commentator
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member

Good Answers: 5

12/10/2015 1:45 AM

Two cents,

I have been teaching photovoltaics installation for 15 years for both apprentice and journey electricians.

Have a great Christmas and holiday season.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); EV1guy2004 (1); lyn (1); mrswamy (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Common Core Math - An Engineering Dad's Nightmare   Next in Forum: Masters of Science / Engineering in Electrical Engineering

Advertisement