CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Surface Rust on 316L SS Catwalk   Next in Forum: The Plethora of Chemicals in the Market Place
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 4

Best Edition of Coulson and Richardson's "Chemical Engineering Design"?

12/08/2015 6:45 PM

Is there a particular edition of Coulson and Richardson's "Chemical Engineering Design" that is superior to the others?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1086

Re: Best Edition of Coulson and Richardson's "Chemical Engineering Design"?

12/08/2015 8:00 PM

For what purpose?

In reply to #1

12/08/2015 8:21 PM

General Chemical Engineering Reference. For instance, I have been told, and find, that the 5th Edition of "Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook" has more utility than the 6th Edition due to tables of values taken out of later editions for whatever reason. I was wondering if a similar situation existed for this series of books (which I have only recently learned about).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 1086
In reply to #2

12/08/2015 10:09 PM

I generally just check the reviews of the top rated books in that category.... This first link is my recommendation....but you know more specifically what info you are targeting...

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Engineering-Design-Second-Principles/dp/0080966594/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449629989&sr=1-4&keywords=General+Chemical+Engineering+Reference

I don't know of any other editions that may be superior...

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Engineering-Design-Fourth-Edition/dp/0750665386

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 744
In reply to #2

12/09/2015 2:10 AM

Interesting point. I've seen the same happen with a physics text. I once lost my Resnick & Halliday (college physics), and when I bought a replacement, it wasn't as comprehensive as the earlier edition.

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #4

12/10/2015 9:56 PM

This discussion reminds me of two books; 1 the 1942 edition of the Joy of Cooking. There is so much in there on preserving, pickling and canning that is completely gone from later editions, and 2 the Way Things Work 1964 edition. They have manufacturing processes and Nukes and all kinds of stuff the the new version completely misses. I totally get the OP's question! Some editions are just better.

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 170

12/09/2015 2:45 AM

Why would a game judge be interested in chemical engineering?

In reply to #5

12/09/2015 10:01 AM

What cares the tornado for the mysteries of the universe? Why do cats make bows? Does the eagle ponder the sun? Why... fredski... that's not a good name for what I'm going for here... ah, dang. Lost it. Fooey.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 10

12/09/2015 1:24 PM

Ask a librarian. Back when printed reference books were in vogue -- when I started my first job working in an academic library -- we had several guides to reference books to help us decide not only what to buy but what to keep. For example, the 11th edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica was considered a landmark classic that should not be discarded. I imagine the same kind of guidance exists for engineering/science reference material. If you have a decent university or large public library nearby, see what the current crop of reference staff can tell you.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

12/09/2015 6:20 PM

My grandfather bequeathed me an 11th EB. I still use it, even though I also have a 15th.

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #9

12/09/2015 7:45 PM

Tornado, you own a treasure! As I recall, the experts weren't that fond of the 15th edition of the Britannica. The 14th was pretty good -- that was the latest edition when I started at Carnegie Mellon. What condition is your 11th in? And do you use it much?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/09/2015 9:21 PM

The condition is mixed, with a few loose covers and spines. As far as I know, all pages are there. With it were two syllabi, one in law and one in geology, which listed the pertinent articles in each subject.

When our family visited Grandpa ~1972, I noticed the Encyclopaedia and remarked in passing that it was considered a classic. He must have remembered that and willed it to me; about two years later he passed on.

Maybe once a month or so I look up something in it.

In reply to #7

12/09/2015 8:55 PM

Perhaps the university library; I think if I went to a public library, I wouldn't get a lot of folks who recognize the book name. But, you say you folks kept a guide on hand, so perhaps the knowledgeability of the individual I wind up speaking with is less key than the quality of the committee pulling together the reference reference. Thank you for the idea.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697

12/09/2015 5:49 PM

Usually the latest edition!

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 174
In reply to #8

12/10/2015 9:12 AM

You favourite BS7671 has gone down hill from the 14th edition onwards. The latest 17th R3 has twice as many pages, less relevant information for five times the cost.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 697
In reply to #13

12/10/2015 11:24 AM

That's someone else's problem.

Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member

12/12/2015 7:04 AM

Belonging to chemical engineering myself i would recommend latest edition ..however Mcabe Smith 5th ed is the book you need for precise chemical engineering knowledge

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (2); Deefburger (1); GameJudge (3); Mikerho (1); nightcrawler (1); PWSlack (2); SolarEagle (2); TonyS (1); Tornado (3)

Previous in Forum: Surface Rust on 316L SS Catwalk   Next in Forum: The Plethora of Chemicals in the Market Place

Advertisement