CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Best Edition of Coulson and Richardson's "Chemical Engineering Design"?   Next in Forum: Sewer Disinfection
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 1

The Plethora of Chemicals in the Market Place

12/10/2015 10:21 AM

MSDS, GHS, SDS, etc. What is really in that jug or sack of stuff you just bought from some guy in India or Argentina to build, clean or destroy your whatsisit? This may help to understand the global nightmare in the industrial, manufacturing and consumer marketplace for chemicals:
http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f407f5342fe20083812d3cc2a&id=51c0c89264&e=ed57796085

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1533

Re: The Plethora of Chemicals in the Market Place

12/10/2015 10:30 AM

You might want to start by defining a GHS.

Then remember that "trade secrets" "proprietary formula" and patented materials, like prescription drugs, will doom any effort at harmonization.

I wrote materials specifications for many years. Mostly for liquid polymers and plastics. Suppliers were forever unwilling to tell me what was really in their juice.

Just look at a MSDS today.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #1

12/10/2015 11:34 AM

GHS - Globally Harmonized System - As you starkly inferred, is a dream term founded on a dream; but we have to start somewhere, trying to get beyond the "a little bit of knowledge is worse than none at all" situation in the marketplace of chemicals for all applications, including pharmaceuticals. Let's tune in and listen to what the lady has to say.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1533
In reply to #2

12/10/2015 1:14 PM

Believe me, I am sympathetic to your plight.

However, in my current capacity, about the only chemicals I order are graffiti remover and paint.

In 6 more months I'll be buying weed killer from Home Depot for my own lawns.

I'll be retired.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 89
In reply to #3

12/10/2015 9:47 PM

Please do not tell us you are leaving office and we will not hear from you again?

Oh no!

Or even worse, do not tell us you will retire and have all the time in the world to answer questions on CR4.

Your contributions are as much feared as anticipated and welcomed at the same time!

Don't let CR4 get the better of you!

6 month you say? Clock is ticking!

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 334
In reply to #1

12/10/2015 2:27 PM

Yea, I once had access to a proprietary MSDS and chemical composition document that was secret and not to be divulged to anyone while we tested the product.

What was the product, a Lava-lamp, the document covered the chemical liquid that filled most of the vessel.

Its hard enough getting harmonization across multiple companies for media and data standards.

I have also come across material and MSDS datasheets for the same basic chemical or basic compound that vary. So supplier 'A's product is explosive but 'B's identical product isn't! Gahhhh.

Good Answers: 122

12/17/2015 12:26 PM

Safety Data Sheets (the current standard) are part of the GHS. These rely upon standard statements, pictograms, standard hazard classes (and determinations), in an attempt to render translation into other languages straightforward, or not even necessary in many cases.

The thing is that, it still has to identify hazardous ingredients. From there, you can refer to any number of books, references, and other literature that discusses chemical identity, toxicity, environmental concerns, and what have you.

Do you really need to know everything about this "soup", or just that it is in a particular hazard class (that is not particularly dangerous), and you plan as always to use appropriate PPE when handling any hazardous chemical, or mixture?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bullardrr (1); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (1); James Stewart (1); lyn (2)

Previous in Forum: Best Edition of Coulson and Richardson's "Chemical Engineering Design"?   Next in Forum: Sewer Disinfection

Advertisement