Close
Close
44 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 15

What is Your Environmental Contribution - Post COP21

12/13/2015 10:52 PM

In simple terms, coming out of COP21 held in Paris, are a couple of clear concepts:

1. Coal, oil & gas are 'yesterday's energy sources' and

2. Temp rise should be limited to a max 1.5 C.

I could also add that clean water for all should be up there on the list.
And your contribution to the cause is .....

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 1543

Re: What is Your Environmental Contribution - Post COP21

12/13/2015 11:11 PM

I'm not sure #2 is something humans can achieve.

I'll go with biodegradable plastics.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741

12/14/2015 1:27 AM

18 +/- 2 farts.

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #2

12/15/2015 11:38 AM

I suppose that is 18 ┬▒ 2 Trumps in Britain.

Guru

Good Answers: 90

12/14/2015 1:55 AM

1. This will show at the next oil crises. I mean the one where oil price jumps even higher than that 150 USD per barrel. Coal is still main power source by far. Yesterday is like today and coal, oil and gas is still badly needed.

2. Who can stop the rain? Only if we manage to avert a 40 deg Celsius day and make it a cosy 28 deg C days will I believe that we can limit anything on this planet in terms of climate and temperature. We can of course limit the temperature raise the same way we created it. Use of complicated statistics and lot of loud noise will help us save ourself from ourself.

I think that your last comment should be treated with more importance. Clean water, enough water, fish in the water, waters as food source these are important points to look at. Yes put it on top of the list and better make a single thread so it does not get in the wrong throat.

Regardless of my believes in the climate change debate the COP21 might still be a good political instrument as long as it raises questions like the clean water question. But did it? What is actually the outcome from this conference? Did they actually manage to get back to practical points to save our societies and environment?

You ask for my contribution, ok here goes a short list of things I do for my/our environment and for my own benefits:

1. Solar power system, meant to pay for itself in another 3 years
  2. Solar hot water, will pay for itself in about 4 years
  3. Waste management, compost bin, paper, glass, metal, plastic bags separated given for recycling,
    Our waste bin is basically empty most of the time, we have a yellow bin
  4. Garden, produce of fruits, vegetables, use of compost. little more water usage
  5. education of my kids, no littering, lead by example,
  6. energy conscious, switch off appliances at wall socket, only lights where needed, energy saver lights where suitable
  7. house insulation
  8. heating with gas and wood fire, low cost
  9. Use of public transport, bicycle instead of car.
  10. Engagement in environmental groups and projects

Lets have a look what others have to say. I have clear conscience, perhapsone of the reasons why I do not have to believe other people telling me I am wrong.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 611

12/14/2015 8:14 AM

I've decided not to fly via private jet any more. From now on, I'll fly commericial if I need to fly at all.

I've decided to close down all of my mansions that have an above-average carbon footprint.

No more limosines for me. From now on all of my cars will have a fuel economy rating of at least 30 miles per gallon.

I've divested my portfolio of all fossil fuel stocks (except any that may be part of a mutual fund).

No more coal or oil furnaces for me. I'll either use 'the grid' or a private natural gas fuel tank for home heating. As much as possible, I'll make use of natural shade for home cooling.

I'll install only small solar panels around my house, for task lighting. (Solar panels actually have a large carbon footprint.)

I'll re-use plastic water bottles. And no longer will I throw plastic water bottles off my yacht when I'm sailing across the Pacific Ocean. In fact, no more yachts for me, either.

...In other words I'll keep doing what I've been doing, unlike the sanctimonious alarmists who talk a lot but never practice what they preach.

In reply to #4

12/14/2015 8:47 AM

So, you're finally going to sell those Fokkers in your hanger?

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

In reply to #5

12/14/2015 9:49 AM

John Kerry: Five luxury homes, a 76-foot yacht, and a private jet.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 208

12/14/2015 9:02 AM

I celebrated the farce by allowing a 57 Chevy to idle for an hour

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 759
In reply to #6

12/14/2015 4:16 PM

I'm working on switching my boiler over to run used cooking oil but until then I am just dumping the veggie oil in tote tanks a burning the plastic jugs I get it in. (Seriously those jugs with 2 - 4 inches of oil sludge caked into the bottom burn better than tires!)

As far as my personal contributions go I am doing my best to ramp up my carbon/GHG emissions the best I can without having to actually put a direct effort into it. Personally if the local climate changes, more summer rain plus warmer winters with less snow, are a example of things to come I want more more more more!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #6

01/24/2016 11:55 PM

I've just had the regular maintenance on my car-runs nicely.

Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

12/14/2015 10:15 AM

For my part of saving the environment and offsetting "global warming" I have adopted the goal of limiting my intake of legumes specifically pinto beans in order that I may somewhat regulate my methane output.

Based on my wife's scientifically gathered DATA I have been up to now, one of the world's largest producers of free radical methane gas of which there is no escape other than to open all windows and doors to create fresh air circulation in copious amounts to dilute the explosive and pungent nature of said gas.

By the order of cause and effect having all doors and windows open at the same time regardless of weather conditions is thereby requiring our HVAC system to operate at 100% capacity continually which therefore dramatically increases our carbon footprint contributing directly to global warming in every sense of the word.

According to her I should willingly give up pintos in whatever consumable form available including Mexican food which is my favorite.

After careful consideration I have grudgingly agreed to somewhat limit my pinto intake but I am unwilling to totally surrender to her will by abandoning my lifelong relationship with this particular protein source.

I being of somewhat sound mind, hereby pledge on the 14th day of the year 2015 to restrict my pinto bean intake by 25% thereby attaining my environmental goal to directly help reduce global warming.

I further agree to submitting random positive pressure gas samples for analytical analysis by the public sector while in small enclosed spaces such as automobiles, trains, elevators, and aircraft strictly for the purpose of meeting all "double-blind" scientific study requirements.

If the results of this highly scientific experiment should yield a negative result in as far as significantly decreasing the affects and/or effects of global warming I pledge to further reduce my pinto bean intake until there is a positive decrease in global warming.

Should I reach the point at some time in the future wherein my intake of pinto beans has reached 0% for a time period of six (6) months with no appreciable affect on global warming, it shall be conclusive proof that I am a small quantity generator of methane gas which therefore is considered as insignificant and therefore I will be exempt from all future pinto bean intake restrictions.

In reply to #8

12/15/2015 11:51 AM

Recipe for "Trumpless" red beans:

1. Wash the beans and separate out any gravel.

2. Heat the beans with just enough water to cover to a boil, decant the liquid through a strainer, and retrieve the valuable beans otherwise lost to drain.

3. Repeat step #2 two more times, as this will further reduce the xylose and pentose sugars (the ones largely responsible for "Trumping").

4. Add sufficient water for pressure-cooking since you obviously live at high elevation, as do I.

5. Add one small can of tomato sauce to the beans, and a ham hock, bacon, salt pork, or any other small chunk of fat meat you care to add, or leave off the meat if vegan.

6. Apply the lid to the pressure cooker, apply full heat at the burner, and wait for pressure to build. Once the pressure relief and lid lock engages, apply the pressure weight (rocker), and reduce burner to 25% output, continue to pressure cook for the recommended time for your locality, although pressure cooking with a weighted rocker on the vent ensures that 20-25 minutes is completely adequate.

7. Allow the cooker to cool off a bit, then dowse under a stream of cold water, while you listen for the loss of head pressure and inrush of air. It is now safe to remove the cooker lid, since the pressure interlock has disengaged by now.

Enjoy your beans! If you still experience Trumping, you may need to increase time just slightly on the initial boil steps to get more extraction of the pentose and xylose sugars.

A good pan of corn bread with your beans is also of some benefit, and makes this into a complete food, just don't count on it providing all of your nutrients too much.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #21

12/15/2015 2:08 PM

Now if we only were able to save all that methane generated by domestic mammals. Think how much energy could be saved in electricity generation.

In reply to #24

12/15/2015 2:38 PM

We have:

LynDoor ™ Industries has just introduced the BossyButtBag┬« .

This revolutionary product is guaranteed to reduce flatulence caused global warming while heating the barn, house and all your hot water year round.

Mood gas lighting throughout the house is now a snap to obtain with this unlimited source of "natural" gas to help you put the "spark" back into your romance.

Act now, and receive two bags for the price of only $299.98 USD. That includes free shipping.

Hook-up kits are priced at a low, low $45.99 each.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #25

12/15/2015 2:42 PM

Sounds like you want to catch your customers coming and ....wait for it....going. I can see the bags being expensive, but gouging them extra for the hookups. wow.

In reply to #27

12/15/2015 2:53 PM

Well, we tried the one-size-fits-all, self sealing plugs, but just couldn't get a reliable seal without using expansion springs that over expanded when improperly inserted by those unskilled in the art of bovine anal plug insertion.

If you slip that baby in too far and pull the rip cord you'll have hell to pay getting it out easily and run the risk of taking a face full of cow dung when she does finally blow or pop ,or poop, out.

Sometimes I wonder why I keep my day job when I can come up with shit skits like this. Oh, never mind, they're still paying me to do this.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 6)
Guru

In reply to #28

12/15/2015 3:22 PM

You do realize that arse pluggage in cattle leads to all sorts of problems for the industry, right?

Milk taste - yucky!

Beef taste - uber yucky!

I think the udder option would be butter. Let the cows have their day in the sun. Collect the dried chips as the fall where they may. Burn the chips in the CHP home system from LynDoor Industries. Then you have (1) renewable energy, (2) happier cows, (3) better tasting milk and meat, and (4) EPA can be hooked up to your previous gas bag invention.

Right now, I am far more concerned with the latest salvo of regulations from the EPA on the power industry, the 2016 water standards. I still don't get where EPA comes up with some of their numbers, for instance,

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/05/27/epa-expands-clean-water-regulations

http://www.lion.com/lion-news/november-2015/new-effluent-limitations-for-coal-fired-power-plan

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OW-2009-0819-0068

This affects the power industry in a direct manner. Other related water regulations put forth in 2015 will affect farmers, ranchers, mining operations, etc.

In reply to #28

12/15/2015 4:30 PM

I must protest this unfair discriminatory treatment!!!

A totally off topic post featuring some hippy weirdo named Weird Al Yankovic gets 3 GAs and my TOTALLY ON TOPIC post (What is Your Environmental Contribution) is tagged with 6 OTs?

This is an outrage! Science takes another back seat to frivolity! Shame, shame!

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 222
In reply to #31

12/15/2015 9:43 PM

Well I did my best to get yours back to the 5 self-imposed O.T.'s

Guru

In reply to #34

12/15/2015 9:59 PM

Thanks for your help.

It's a thankless job, as you know.

"Ours is not to reason why"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #35

12/15/2015 10:32 PM

Any time. I know how much it bothers you. It would bother me too. <snoork>

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 90
In reply to #37

12/16/2015 3:36 AM

Dang! Should not have said it!

(Pretty sure a good soul comes along and negates the negative marking)

Good Answers: 64
In reply to #31

12/16/2015 8:49 AM

science and frivolity may save the planet!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 15
In reply to #39

12/16/2015 9:40 AM

A bit more science and frivolity I believe is called for ....

1. AVOID CUTTING YOURSELF WHEN SLICING VEGETABLES BY GETTING SOMEONE ELSE TO HOLD THEM WHILE YOU CHOP.

2. AVOID ARGUMENTS WITH THE FEMALES ABOUT LIFTING THE TOILET SEAT BY USING THE SINK.

3. FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SUFFERERS ~ SIMPLY CUT YOURSELF AND BLEED FOR A FEW MINUTES, THUS REDUCING THE PRESSURE ON YOUR VEINS. REMEMBER TO SET A TIMER.

4. A MOUSE TRAP PLACED ON TOP OF YOUR ALARM CLOCK WILL PREVENT YOU FROM ROLLING OVER & GOING BACK TO SLEEP AFTER YOU HIT THE SNOOZE BUTTON.

5. IF YOU HAVE A BAD COUGH, TAKE A LARGE DOSE OF LAXATIVES; THEN YOU'LL BE AFRAID TO COUGH.

6. YOU NEED ONLY TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40.
IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

7. IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

THOUGHT for the day:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

In reply to #24

12/15/2015 2:40 PM

That because the horseless carriage was invented before the EPA was instituted, otherwise, all large mammals would come with a fugitive emissions re-circulation device.

In other words, operation a success, patient dead.

We are all worried about domestic animals, and have been told this for years. I have shocking news for everyone! Add up all the mass of large mammals, including whichever species you feel are significant, then add up all the mass of insects in the world, and consider what all they emit.

How does that grab ya? Insects have been here longer than mammals, and also present in astronomical numbers most of that time. They have neither killed themselves, nor the planet by emitting whatever they emit. Consider the ways of the ant, thou sluggard!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696

12/14/2015 3:33 PM

...not procreating. Beat that.

In reply to #9

12/14/2015 5:57 PM

That's how a lot of people avoid procreating.

(I'll just go ahead and off-topic myself on this one.)

In reply to #11

12/14/2015 9:17 PM

Sorry, but I'm going to do my part to negate your own OT's

Guru

In reply to #13

12/14/2015 9:29 PM

To quote Michael Jackson: "The fire's in their eyes and their words are really clear

So beat it, just beat it".

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

12/14/2015 9:45 PM

Don't wanna argue, I don't wanna debate

Don't wanna hear about what kind of food you hate

You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate

So eat it . . . . just eat it. - Weird Al Yankovic

Eat It

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 167
In reply to #15

12/15/2015 4:06 PM

Nice

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696
In reply to #11

12/17/2015 5:12 AM

Oooops! ;-)

Good Answers: 1062

12/14/2015 6:24 PM

It's much smaller since I retired....

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 57
In reply to #12

12/15/2015 9:07 AM

Oh no - mines going the other way. In the last year, my comfortable shoes have become way too tight. My feet are getting bigger as I grow old.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121
In reply to #12

12/15/2015 5:20 PM

HEY! Bigfoot has been found! Call the press! Call the TV stations!

Good Answers: 14

12/14/2015 11:49 PM

Many points such as cogeneration ,CHP for power generation, Safe Nuclear energy, Water and waste recycling, Solar based AC systems, Food safety and security etc can be included . Finally we need a peaceful globe free from poverty.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

12/15/2015 12:04 PM

Poverty resides in minds. Education into the classics of mathematics, science, language, music, history, etc. provides freedom. Education on the value of Liberty, and all people treating other people with the true value they have in the eyes of God would be a nice start.

It scares me when I start hearing about eradicating poverty, though. Here in the United States, we have had the "War on Poverty" for several generations now, and all it has done is widen the gap between the wealthy and the poor, uneducated masses. It has created a dependency on the government to provide what people are now unwilling to go out and find on their own. That is the height of unsustainable policy! Then when water is added into this mix, with governments doling out who has water rights, and who does not, it starts to become a most intractable situation.

All who live under the name of a wise, temperate, all-knowing, supreme being (Higher Power), should call out the violence in current events for what it is, the acts of people who have been brainwashed into thinking their actions will matter or succeed in the years to come. Violence will not succeed, however, all of the civilized world must stand against it, condemn it, remove those who promulgate it, and most of all educate our children in such a way that when they grow old, they will remember, and continue to walk in paths of righteousness (that have nothing to do with evil violence against innocents).

Technology can solve many things, but it cannot change the human mind, only the Supreme Being, and other wise humans can do that. Do not give up on God, He has not given up on you! Have good courage, do work to improve mankind's condition, yes, and most of all love your family.

12/15/2015 4:09 AM

I just rtead about a NASA study that says we are losing temperature to space at a greater rate than the alarmists would have you believe. Can't provide a link, it was a news story that I then deleted.

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #17

12/15/2015 8:54 AM

You can find the link here. Posted by Fredski.

In reply to #18

12/15/2015 1:57 PM

Thanks

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

12/15/2015 6:48 PM

Continue to read all the CR4 debates about this and when there is consensus...I'll do that!

In reply to #33

12/15/2015 10:10 PM

Spoil sport!

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

12/17/2015 2:27 PM

Less people.

Good Answers: 8

01/25/2016 12:34 AM

Absolutely nothing.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

bluebelly (4); Brave Sir Robin (4); Casper71 (2); Don from Oz (1); Fredski (1); IdeaSmith (2); James Stewart (6); JE in Chicago (1); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (7); Mikerho (1); mrswamy (1); Phys (1); PWSlack (2); SHOCKHISCAN (2); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); texasron (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (3)

Previous in Forum: Solar Energy   Next in Forum: Fibre Reinforced Polymer

Advertisement