CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Securing File(s) in Windows   Next in Forum: Watching Netflix Streaming Via My Dell Inspiron 1545
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Active Contributor

Retrieve Email In Outlook

12/14/2015 8:01 AM

Hi everyone, i need your help to get my email back, actually suddenly last weak my laptop HDD corrupted and i check that its not working at all so i replace it with new HDD and get all data from corrupted HDD using sata port available in my desktop, now i install office 2007 in new HDD and want to restore my old emails as well, i have only application data folder from my last HDD, which have some file like outcmd.dat, xml file etc.

Kindly send some link of tutorial if possible..or mention steps.

so i can i retrieve my mail from these files, kindly help me.... Thanks in advance....

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - AC9JZ extra

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #1

Re: reterive email in outlook

12/14/2015 10:20 AM

GA Lyn, the OP only needs to look, the answers are available. I've also used Linux to save data from a defective HDD. Then just move it to your new HDD. Even run a virus scan on files before moving them.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

Re: Retrieve Email In Outlook

12/14/2015 3:48 PM

Nonsense! E-mail is low-priority communication and has completely had its day as a collaborative working tool. Many companies these days are turning to a new form of communication that everyone needs to buy into. It's called TalkToEachOther 1.0.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #3

12/14/2015 4:29 PM

This new form of communication that you mention has a number of drawbacks.

1. Syncronicity: the requirement that both parties wishing to communicate are willing to be connected simultaneously and concentrate on the spoken word of the other party, emanating from the device.

This has many undesired complications. It interferes with video gaming, requires responding immediately and serially with the correct response to the spoken question.

2. Having answers to questions to hand. Self explanatory, you need to know your job.

3. Most importantly, it removes the "excuse factor" from the possible explanations for the project being late. The, "They haven't emailed me back yet" excuse will not longer be allowed in the failure to perform arsenal.

This new concept is doomed to fail, I fear.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701
In reply to #4

12/14/2015 5:36 PM

What a wonderful world it will be, though. :-)

Good Answers: 35
In reply to #5

12/15/2015 8:18 AM

What a wonderful world it will be, though.

It might be for you, but for me perhaps not.

I have age related deafness in the speech range and find it extremely difficult to hear what is being said in a two-way communication - almost impossible in group discussions.

Having said that, if sub-titles are available, then it might be an improvement, together with tonal inclinations and non verbal communications to help

Right now I use Email because it allows me time to think first, and there is a record.

But in response to the OP, I have suffered from lack of skill to use Outlook Express to the extent that I have great difficulty in understanding how to save messages to archives - and more so to retrieve them - particularly if from a back-up disc if windows crashed.

I use Windows Live Mail.

In reply to #8

12/15/2015 8:32 AM

I have Outlook Express at work. It suffers from many shortcomings, as do most mail programs.

The one infuriating thing they all seem to share is the ability to scramble, delete or otherwise change the program that was working satisfactorily prior to the LAST UPDATE!!!

Now, when I search for a name in Outlook, I get a listing STARTING two years ago of all the emails that person has ever sent me. Formerly, before the last "improvement" I got a listing from last to first, which is always what I wanted.

Life is not fair and we do not control out own destinies.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - AC9JZ extra

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #4

12/14/2015 7:43 PM

I must agree with Lyn, even though an actual conversation is more pleasant, we also aren't always available the moment the other person is.

Email allows us to segment our day, and take the time to reply, without interrupting our productivity.

I also like the searchable email records. They can tell me they said the 21st, but the email says the 22nd. If it was verbal, they could say I forgot.

I do like a good eye to eye conversation,body language included.

The app mentioned has it's merits in some situations, but not all.

In reply to #6

12/14/2015 9:51 PM

I see both sides of the communications dilemma every day.

About 1/4 of the time I need an answer, now! About half of those times I can't get it.

Then, I have to fall back on email and hope for the best.

I do archive any "official" electronic communications as well, as I have always done. Mostly to remind unresponsive vendors and associates of their past, unmet commitments.

That practice will end, at work, at the end of June when I become unemployed.

Register to Reply
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

12/15/2015 9:12 AM

Have you compared your authentication and port settings with your ISP? I just installed Office2016 and could not send or receive Outlook emails. I called my ISP and they went through my authentication settings to make sure mine agrees with theirs. I changed mine to agree with theirs and my Outlook is working fine now.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

flapjack (1); horace40 (1); lyn (4); Mike Proctor (2); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: Securing File(s) in Windows   Next in Forum: Watching Netflix Streaming Via My Dell Inspiron 1545

Advertisement