CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Is This a Loadbearing Wall in Vaulted Ceiling Home?   Next in Forum: Hospital Pendants Structural Calculation
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Participant

Volume of an Object by Using Calculus

12/16/2015 2:43 PM

On this picture we see a octagonal dome. I am trying to calculate the volume of this object by integral calculus but I can't find a way. How would you calculate this? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17974596/Sk%C3%A6rmbillede%202015-12-17%20kl.%2002.14.48.png

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: building Civil Math Geometry
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 181

Re: Volume of an Object by Using Calculus

12/16/2015 3:01 PM

It is the sum of eight slices. Each slice has a triangle as basis limited on both sides by planes and the 3rd surface is to be defined if it is a cylinder or generated by any other 2nd degree curve translated along the triangle side.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1064

12/16/2015 4:11 PM

Calculate it as a hemisphere then deduct ~4%...

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 921

12/16/2015 4:34 PM

I think you can do this by simply calculating for only one slice of the eight sections. Then multiply that result by eight for the answer.

The base of one slice will form a triangle subtended at 45° and the opposite angles will be 67.5° and 67.5° respectively. Calculating the area is now simple.

Now think of each subsequent horizontal triangular slice stacked in the vertical direction. Volume is simply the sum of the area of each stacked triangle.

Since the top is a hemisphere you should be able to simply calculate the lengths of each side of each subsequent stacked triangle based on the profile of that hemisphere, but the curve will not be a pure curve, rather it will be half of an eclipse due to the rotation of the two vertical edges by 22.5° (as viewed from a god's eye view).

Again, you can calculate the eclipse created and therefore the subsequent sides of each triangle with a little geometry.

You should be able to figure out the geometry. Just don't forget to multiply the result by eight!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

12/17/2015 4:41 AM

Why must be the top a hemisphere ?

As I mentioned the sides can be also a cylinder surface. Why not ?

And the cylinder must not have its axis at the center !

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 611

12/16/2015 5:46 PM

It doesn't say it's symmetrical, but let's assume it is. I.e., the 'radius' is the same as the height of the dome.

Let r be the radius of the dome. This will also the be length, r1, of the hypotenuse of the bottom-most octagonal piece.

The area of this triangle is A1 = r12 *cosθsinθ, where θ is 22.5 degrees.

The volume of the first slice will be this area times the thickness t of the slice. (You should make t as thin as possible). V1 = A1*t

The area of the next triangle is A2 = r22 *cosθsinθ.

Here, r2 is given by r2 = √(r2 - t2), and then V2 = A2*t

Continue calculating the slices n number of times, where n is r/t.

Then Sum the triangles to get the volume of one chord of the dome.

V(total of 1 chord) = ∑ (V1 + V2 +... Vn)

V(dome) = 8*V(total of 1 chord)

The sketch is a bit cluttered where I show r1, r2, and r3 along the curve of the dome. I also drew-in, but didn't label r4. Nevertheless, this should be enough to illustrate my approach.

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #4

12/16/2015 6:04 PM

The angle subtended is 45°, not 22.5° for the triangle.

The base is an octagon, so it will be 45°.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

In reply to #5

12/16/2015 6:57 PM

I should have labeled the angle I'm calling theta.

In reply to #6

12/16/2015 9:39 PM

Yes, that helps!

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741

12/16/2015 9:55 PM

Details are missing on the shape of the red curves, and how high the dome is compared to its width.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 696

12/17/2015 5:27 AM

Fill it up completely with water, and measure the volume needed to fill it using a flowmeter on the fill pipe.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741

12/17/2015 5:42 AM

The dome looks like Filippo Brunelleschi's work at the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence (Firenze).

Good Answers: 521

12/17/2015 6:01 AM

Using Calculus: Get a formula for circumference C as a function of height h. Then integrate C with respect to h, i.e. ∫C(h)dh.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

Good Answers: 34

12/17/2015 6:53 AM

You need a maths expression for the shape of the curve of the dome to start with.

Good Answers: 1064

12/17/2015 7:21 AM

12/17/2015 12:27 PM

The figure shows a dome with an octagonal basis. Most probably because of the building constrains the surfaces are generated along a at least second degree guide. The equation for this guide line can be: l= a-P(z) with P(z) = a0*z^2+a1*z+a2

The coefficients can be determined with the boundary conditions:

At z= 0 l=a ; dP/dz= c → a2=0 and c= a1

at z= H i=b → b= a0*H²+c*H → (b - c*H)/ H²= a0

thus l(z)=a-[(b-c*H)/H²*z²+c*z]

If the guide line is normal to the base plane at z=0 then c=0.

For this particular case the red triangle area will be S(z)= l²*tan(22.5°) in a general case with a different number of sides S(z)= l²*tan(α) where α= π/n n being the number of sides the polygon has.

The elementary volume is dV= S(z)*dz = l²*tan(α)*dz= {a-[(b-c*H)/H²*z²+c*z]}²*tan(α)*dz.

The integral (from z=0 to z=H) is easy to solve since it is the integral of a polynomial.

Result should to be multiplied by "n".

To validate the result follow the given counsel: fill it with water and measure how much was in.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

12/17/2015 1:00 PM

(deleted comment)

In reply to #15

12/18/2015 5:48 AM

In previous comment I proposed a general solution.

A particular case is the dome enclosed in a spherical envelope.

In this case a= R cos(α)

and the guide line is an elliptical arc with the equation:

(l(z)/a)^2+(z/R)^2=1 → l(z)^2= a^2*(1-(z/R)^2) = (R*cos(α))^2*(1-(z/R)^2)

The triangle area is S(z)= tan(α)*l(z)^2 = tan(α)*(cos(α))^2*(R^2-z^2) = 0.5*sin(2*α)*(R^2-z^2)

The slice volume will thus be

H

V1=0.5*sin(2*α )*∫(R^2-z^2)*dz =

= 0.5*sin(2*α )*(R^2*H-H^3/3)= 0.5*sin(2*π/n)*R^3*(χ-χ^3/3)

V= n*V1 χ=H/R

The solution I suggested was for cases when the guide line equation is not as simple as in this particular case.

The solution is correct since if n→∞ V= 2/3*π*R^3 which is half of the sphere volume.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Register to Reply 17 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (3); horace40 (1); nick name (4); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (2); Tornado (2); Usbport (3)

Previous in Forum: Is This a Loadbearing Wall in Vaulted Ceiling Home?   Next in Forum: Hospital Pendants Structural Calculation

Advertisement