Close
Close
Close
14 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 59

Watching Netflix Streaming Via My Dell Inspiron 1545

12/20/2015 1:46 PM

I have a Dell 1545 Inspiron Laptop, purchased new in about 2009 with Windows 7 Home Edition. Outlet sockets are 4 x USB plus an unknown 15 pin (3 rows of 5) female socket. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to watch films on my TV via my computer and the internet. I've looked up HDMI on Wikipedia but hardly understand a word of it. Neither my computer or TV have HDMI sockets on them. Is there any chance?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: films streaming Dell HDMI
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 751

Re: Watching Netflix streaming via my Dell Inspiron 1545

12/20/2015 2:41 PM

If yours works like mine (Dell 6400), and the 15-pin shell is about 3/4" wide, that's a monitor connection. Pressing F8 toggles among either laptop screen, monitor, or both. If you're lucky, this may be a pretty simple fit.

12/20/2015 2:51 PM

Correction: One of the TV's (the more recent one) does have an HDMI connection.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 621

12/20/2015 3:40 PM

I have a Samsung laptop running Win7 that I purchased in 2012.

I can watch (stream) movies via Amazon Prime on my laptop. My DSL line is also fast enough to support SlingTV on my iphone and through a Roku that allows me to watch some live broadcasts via the internet on my TV.

If you already have a Netflix account, you should be able to go to the Netflix website, key in your username and password, select a movie, and begin watching.

If you're streaming a movie there is nothing to plug in to a USB port, or any other port, other than what is already plugged in for your high speed internet service. If your DSL line is fast enough, you shouldn't have any problems watching movies. If the speed provided by your ISP is too slow, contact them about increasing your download speed. My DSL is 6 Mbps, which is fast enough for my needs. If there were other users here I'd need more bandwidth.

Check your speed here: Download speed test

In reply to #3

12/20/2015 4:55 PM

Thanks - got 4.16 Mbps using your link. Wife can watch Netflix films on her tablet fine. But need to send to TV so that we can all see. Noted Rixter's comment on "Chromecast" for a mere $35. Sounds good.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121
In reply to #5

12/21/2015 10:05 AM

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wireless+pc+to+tv+adapter&tag=geminimobiles-20&index=aps&hvadid=22353355&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2448v6zwi3_e

The above link will yield some good ideas for transmitting the video & sound from your PC to the TV.

This is straight-up plug & play wireless equipment that is easy to install and operate.

I prefer wireless because it eliminates all of the bulky cables and connection issues.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 621
In reply to #5

12/21/2015 4:00 PM

I have an old Sony PlayStation3 that allows me to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a few other streaming services. It uses my wifi to access the internet and plugs into my TV via a standard HDMI cable. Now that the PS4 is out, you might look for a good deal on a used PS3. It would not only allow you to stream Netflix, etc., but it has an excellent BluRay player built into it for DVDs.

I also have the Roku Stick and the Roku 3. I got the Roku Stick 'free' for signing up for SlingTV (which I can cancel at anytime - but SlingTV is a fantastic deal, so I'm keeping it). The Roku 3 is excellent, but it's about 2x the price of the Chromecast. The free Roku Stick takes a bit longer to load live TV than the Roku 3, but once it's loaded the speed is fine.

And as I mentioned earlier, I can watch Amazon Prime movies via my laptop. Probably Netflix too, but I don't have a Netflix streaming account. (From what I've seen, Amazon streaming is better and the library you can access is huge compared to Netflix.)

It may sound like I watch a lot of TV, but I don't have cable or satellite. When my girlfriend is visiting we like to watch old movies. She also likes to watch HGTV and I watch an occassional NFL game on ESPN via SlingTV.

Here's a link to a review of some streaming devices:

http://www.cnet.com/news/chromecast-vs-apple-tv-vs-roku-3-which-media-streamer-should-you-buy/

Guru

Good Answers: 578

12/20/2015 3:55 PM

You can get a google chromecast gadget ($35) to plug into the HDMI port on your digital TV. You can then watch Netflix on your TV.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/?utm_source=chromecast.com

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Active Contributor

In reply to #4

12/22/2015 12:58 PM

I use Chromecast and Roku. I have also streamed content from the Internet from the web browser on my Dish Network and Samsung Smart TV... I use an old HP laptop with no HDMI. Recently I found streaming it from my phone works the best.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 336

Re: Watching Netflix Streaming Via My Dell Inspiron 1545

12/20/2015 8:37 PM

Deleted

Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Location: Latitude 38.701979 Longitude -90.439540 Coordinates 38.701979, -90.439540 N38°42.11874, W090°26.3724
Good Answers: 15

12/21/2015 4:36 AM

Sounds like you have a really old TV like I do. I have a 32" CRT that works great except it has no modern connections. Most up to date connection on it is the S Video port.

Can't find any adaptors for Computer to TV connections. Bought a ROKU and it works fine with it using RGB Video connections. You have to pay attention to which ROKU device you buy the Newer ones don't work with OLD tvs due to connection types. Think mine was a 2.
Then you can use your existing accounts like Netflix thru the Roku device.

Hate to buy a new TV when this one works so well still.

In reply to #7

12/21/2015 5:14 AM

No, the TV is only about 5 years old - LCD type and does include a HDMI port ( see my comment 2). Thanks for your advice.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 104

12/21/2015 7:32 AM

Your telly will also have a 15pin VGA connector on it.

A regular PC monitor cable between the laptop and the telly via this connector will get the video to work.

To hear the sound on your telly too you will need to connect an audio cable from your headphone jack on the laptop to the TV's PC audio in jack.

Select "PC" as the TV's source. Press Fn F5 ( may vary..) on your laptop to toggle as mentioned above, or bootup with TV connected and it will sense the VGA connection and work.

Enjoy your new PC with a big monitor..

I have this permanently setup with my son's old laptop that has a broken monitor. It works fine. I recommend a wireless mouse and keyboard for your laptop too. It's nice to be able to surf the internet or even do work, not only watch movies, with this arrangement.

No special boxes required.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 29

12/21/2015 2:56 PM

If you are still interested to use the laptop for streaming, you will need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Output-1080P-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00K4W62R4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450727181&sr=8-1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+with+sound

This adapter will convert the 15-pin VGA output to HDMI, and it will support audio output to the HDMI port. The device also connects to a USB port, because there is powered circuitry in the adapter, to convert the signal to HDMI format. You will still need an HDMI cable to go from the converter to the TV. Considering this is over 1/2 the cost of the Chromecast (or similar), you might be better going with the Chromcast.

There is a chance that the TV has a VGA input on it, as mentioned by one of the earlier posters, but for some reason, it seems that not too many flat screens that are intended for USA use included that option. If your's has it, then you would need to use a VGA cable, and then another cable to get the audio to the TV, which would be something like 1/8" stereo jack to 2-RCA jacks.

Tom D.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
United States - Member - NY Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - BSME Clarkson University '83 Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - First PC experience Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #11

01/07/2016 2:45 PM

If your TV is REALLY old, you can still stream to it, even if it doesn't have a VGA or HDMI input. You should at least have a composite or S-Video input. If this is the case, you can use on of these - http://www.sears.com/unique-bargains-vga-to-s-video-3-rca/p-SPM7925361323?hlSellerId=29267&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM7925361323&kispla=SPM7925361323

I have my Roku hooked up to my old tube TV through the Composite inputs and it works fine.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 14 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

8320 (1); energyconversion (3); phoenix911 (1); Rixter (1); scotchdrnkr (1); Shayne (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); tdesmit (1); Tornado (1); Usbport (2); Wal (1)

Previous in Forum: Retrieve Email In Outlook   Next in Forum: Opening Links

Advertisement