CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Ferrite Bead Impact on PCB Board   Next in Forum: How Do You Protect the Fiber Optic Cables That Allow Global Communication?
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 3

How Do I Make My Phone Book The Primary Contact List On a Nokia Lumia 930

12/22/2015 2:35 AM

Dear All

I have an irritating problem that I need to resolve.

1. I have a Nokia Lumia 930 phone with a Windows operating system. I love my Nokia E7 with Symbian, but the charging port is not functioning well anymore, forcing me to switch.

2. When I tried to connect to my car kit, I discovered than in its wisdom, Windows links to contacts and does not allow you to access the phone book. My phone book was transferred from the E7 to the Lumia with no problem. Windows read my e-mail account in as contacts.

3. I don't store phone numbers in my e-mail addresses, as my phone people and e-mail people are not the same people - business vs private.

4. I tried the Microsoft website - a real pain. I tried to mail them, but then they expect me to create a Microsoft account. I don't want to do that on principle. In any case the last time I tried that Microsoft hijacked my profile - had to trash the hard drive to escape. All other websites I found tend to be superficial, not addressing my problem either.

My question: How do I either merge the phone book to the contact list, or tell the Lumia to use the phone book as primary source of contact information.

Thank you for helping.

Andries Botha

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: 930 Book Contacts Lumia NOKIA phone
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: How Do I Make My Phone Book The Primary Contact List On a Nokia Lumia 930

12/22/2015 2:54 AM

Good luck with this one. I had exactly the same problem and ended up making an account with MS.

The new phone does not support sim card phone book anymore. you can get the contacts down from there but nothing else. End of story! Maybe there is an app for it, but have not looked at this for a while now.

You will also find that there is no backup option for your contacts neither can you see them when looking at it on your computer. The only way is via your account. This is part of the schema that your contacts have to be on a MS server and not on your phone just alone. Big Brother watching.

Learn to ignore it or buy another phone.

In reply to #1

12/22/2015 8:37 AM

Well, at least obvious that Big Bro is watching. Android phones are the same with google synch and apps terms.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121
In reply to #1

12/22/2015 9:31 AM

SNAFU.

Guru

Good Answers: 1129

12/22/2015 1:48 PM

In reply to #4

12/23/2015 3:00 AM

Dear SolarEagle

A great suggestion - I can just see it go wrong on so many levels - I am just a bucket chemist and all that soldering scares me!

I do know step 1: Save all data to another device and keep far apart.

I can also see myself batteling with the feat of screwing in a tiny screw while calmy positioning the others with a pair of tweezers.

Andries

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129
In reply to #5

12/23/2015 3:22 AM

You just need a good magnifying glass and a strong light, a hot air soldering kit, magnetic screw driver, good tweezers, and some patience....but it certainly is easier to just get another phone ha ha

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155

12/23/2015 10:04 AM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you will never be able to shrink that phone book small enough to fit inside a cellular telephone anyway, even when the phones were huge. I recommend you just get a small notebook (spiral wound) and carry that with the phone - low tech, cheap, but you do need a special app with that called a pencil/eraser combination app.

Or just ditch all your contacts, tell them you went to Africa, and start over on a new phone. The ones that actually contact you can be added to contacts as they come in. Since some of your contacts are probably linked somehow, you can use the first one to "bootstrap" the list by getting other contact from them. Or just move to Africa and call it a day. Lions do not care which phone contract you have, if you have any signal, or if your contact list is accessible, they only care about food. Bring lots of steaks with you, or else you might be the steak.

In reply to #7

12/24/2015 12:49 AM

Dear James

I am in Africa - South-Africa to be specific! Yes, we do eat a lot of steak, boerwors (special type of sausage), lamb. Chicken and fish is seen as vegetables.

All I am looking for is the convenience I have had on the last 6 or so Nokia phones I owned. In each case they had their own electronic phonebook. This electronic phonebook connects to your car kit via Bluetooth and copies onto the car kit memory. When you get a call, the car kit displays who is calling. When you want to make a call, you search on a name and press call. The current vehicle I drive has the ability to store 1000 records (multiple numbers for some people) as well as 18 speed dials.

Microsoft expects me to type all the phone numbers into my e-mail account's contact list and then use that. Very stupid and highly inconvenient. All I am after is a good database to be carried over to link to my dialing system.

By the way, the African cell phone network is very extensive. Except for a few countries, there never was a big copper legacy, so cellphones was the way to go. Even the internet traffic on the continent is more likely to be accessed by a cellphone than a computer.

Andries

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #9

12/29/2015 10:17 AM

You have my congratulations, and my sympathies. We are digging out from Winter Storm Goliath here in Lubbock, Texas. I actually made it to my office this morning.

I would say that you should probably contact your local cell phone carrier, and discuss with them the app you need to be able to properly link your cell phone contact list to you car kit memory. Surely there is a convenient way to do so, without getting bogged down in Microsoft.

12/23/2015 6:40 PM

Maybe buy a Kindle and use it as a phone directory? The Kindle isn't that expensive, and I know the main function is as a book holder, but it can be both.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 10 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

abotha (2); IdeaSmith (1); James Stewart (2); Mr. small (1); Munster (1); SHOCKHISCAN (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Ferrite Bead Impact on PCB Board   Next in Forum: How Do You Protect the Fiber Optic Cables That Allow Global Communication?

Advertisement