CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How Do You Protect the Fiber Optic Cables That Allow Global Communication?   Next in Forum: Nvidia Explains its AI Supercomputer for Cars — CES 2016
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Commentator

3 Phase Thyristor-SCR Bridge Firing Circuit

01/04/2016 9:45 AM

What is the name of a thyristor switching circuit that can be used in a 3 phase scr bridge to get a variable dc current control output. I need to find such a product if it exist so I may incorporate it into an existing thyristor ac to dc bridge rectifier.AC power suppy is 400v 50Hz, the expected DC output current is about 50A. Let me know how to get this "product". My regards to an experienced good answer.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
Good Answers: 121

Re: 3 phase thyristor-scr bridge firing circuit

01/04/2016 10:04 AM

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) with Phase Locked Loop (PLL) control.

There are several manufacturers in the market place that offer SCR controllers such as SIEMENS, ABB, and GE-TOSHIBA.

However in order to use any SCR control on an existing three phase bridge rectifier system the selected vendor of choice must be involved in the type of control selection process.

Re: 3 Phase Thyristor-scr Bridge Firing Circuit

01/04/2016 10:22 AM

Thank you SHOCKHISCAN, you always bring pragmatic experience(s) into your responses. What do you recommend I do now in order to get this challenge overcome now and whenever again it comes up in the future. In other words, how may I be my own solution?. I ask because I have no contact with the manufacturer of this very "PWM..." Circuit that god bad. I would like to replace the thyristors with diodes but I will not have the important variable output and feedback controls

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701
In reply to #2

01/04/2016 11:32 AM

<...have no contact with the manufacturer...>

Make that contact! Pick up the phone!

Sheesh.

Location: Eastern Arizona mountains on Route 666 about a mile from God's country
In reply to #2

01/04/2016 12:47 PM

If you do not go through the existing original bridge manufacturer (OEM) you are faced with adapting aftermarket components which may require significant physical modifications to the bus and associated equipment.

Keep in mind when selecting and purchasing the needed components that the thyristor or IGBT control characteristics must match the control system capability.

This means you will have to decide on a particular manufacturer then sole-source all required components from the selected manufacturer.

Most manufacturers provide free application technical support.

I would pick at least three providers then contact each one individually and ask for them to look at your application then provide their solution and cost estimate.

Their submittal(s) will include valuable information you can use to decide which type of control and cost factors fit your budget.

Here is a link that should help. More to follow.

http://www.tempco.com/controls/scr_main.htm

Power-User

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #2

01/05/2016 3:23 AM

You should have started your question with "I have a "Siemens VSM DC PSU with model number --------- and input 3 Phase 400 Volt and variable DC Output 0V to 200V at 50 Amp. It stopped working and I need a new one or replacement. This put is in a much better positiin to advice you and help you find axactly what you have or other suggestions. You can not replace an Active controlable component with Diodes. Please give us the model of you present device not the machine it is controllong, you will find a manufacturer and or model number on the cooling cage ir on the PCB a model and ref number. It will help us help you.

Good Answers: 577

01/04/2016 3:28 PM

Maybe the 472 unit would be what you want for 3 phase...

http://www.eurothermltda.com.br/pdf_files/470_175076_1.pdf

Register to Reply
Guru

Re: 3 Phase Thyristor-SCR Bridge Firing Circuit

01/05/2016 11:32 AM

01/05/2016 11:34 AM

01/05/2016 11:35 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Oomborrie (1); PWSlack (1); Rixter (1); SHOCKHISCAN (5); Ukeje (1)

Previous in Forum: How Do You Protect the Fiber Optic Cables That Allow Global Communication?   Next in Forum: Nvidia Explains its AI Supercomputer for Cars — CES 2016

Advertisement