CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Nvidia Explains its AI Supercomputer for Cars — CES 2016   Next in Forum: Capacitor Parameters
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

Phone Computer Combination

01/09/2016 8:18 AM

Is a system available where one can use a cell phone as a stand alone cell phone and a computer? That is, have a virtual or flexible keyboard and screen. Connect to the cloud to save data and use programs such as Word and Excel. It would sure be convenient.

Have some fun today,

PAPADOC

RMFR

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: cell phone cloud virtual keyboard
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1588

Re: PHONE COMPUTER COMBINATION

01/09/2016 10:16 AM

Smart phones and I-pad/tablet like devices can do that now.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 577

01/09/2016 10:46 AM

Here's a virtual keyboard if you have big fingers like I do...

http://www.brookstone.com/laser-projection-virtual-keyboard/796246p.html

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

01/09/2016 11:05 AM

Good Answers: 27

Re: Phone Computer Combination

01/10/2016 1:59 AM

Papadoc,

Get one of the new Windows 10 phones and they will connect to your Smart TV and create a very large screen computer. The phone becomes the touchpad and keypad and the TV the monitor. And it works. [Much to my chagrin as I'm not a fan of Microsoft].

Good Answers: 162

01/10/2016 3:44 PM

For quite a few years, I've thought more-or-less the opposite. I've been using laptop computers for 25 years now, am quite comfortable using one, and see no advantage of any iPad-like device with no integral keyboard. I REALLY need tactile feedback on my keyboard, and hate any device (like my iPhone and microwave, for instance) where I can't tell by feel whether I've pressed a key or not. I'll be much happier with smart phones once they integrate haptic touch screens.

My suggestion/question is why don't they integrate a phone into laptops? The processor, cameras, I/O connections, and apps are already there, as is a WiFi transceiver. All they would have to add would be the Cell transceiver and encoder/decoder. I suspect that would cost something like $10/unit, maybe less, in additional hardware. For a company like Apple, that already makes both devices, the engineering should be almost trivial.

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #5

01/10/2016 7:04 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

01/10/2016 7:40 PM

Yes, I've used Skype several times and Apple's Facetime quite a few times. I also have Viber installed, although I don't remember if I've actually used it.

All of these, however require an internet connection. I travel a lot, and there are frequently times when I'd like to make a call, and don't have a secure WiFi connection. Of course I currently make those calls on my iPhone.

But the real reason for wanting a phone in my laptop is to use the internet when I don't have a secure WiFi connection. I'm aware that I could set up my iPhone as a WiFi hotspot, but then who knows How many jerks could be listening...

In response to JimRat's suggestion, as I indicated earlier, I don't want a phablet; I want a phlaptop.

In reply to #8

01/10/2016 9:27 PM

Surely you must have Windows 10 phones in the US? The latest ones? My daily procedure is to access the internet via the data allocation on the phone plan. Upon coming into a wifi area, like my home, or various free wifi areas, the phone automatically discriminates to that service, saving the 'plan data allocation' for when it's needed. The Android and iOS phones do this also, but as yet haven't included the ability to use your smart TV as part of 'the computer'. Unreal what joy there is in Very Large Screen computing. The kids can use the phone's keyboard equally as fast as I can a full size one.

In reply to #9

01/11/2016 12:08 AM

I haven't the slightest idea, and don't really care! First, my eyes can't focus close enough to read web pages or emails on my iPhone (or any other phone). When I do use enough magnification to see the phone, there is too little text visible at one time to understand it, and I don't know how to find such things as the search tools, assuming they exist.

Second, I hate typing (if you can call it that) on a keyboard (if you can call it that) with no tactile feedback. I have enough trouble pressing the right keys in the right sequence on a full-sized keyboard with tactile feedback. ...which brings me to another thing I hate about "typing" on a phone keypad - the lack of UNDO and other editing features that are standard on laptops.

Third, I like the tight integration and a lot of other qualities (although not quite all) of Apple products, and hate the excessive effort of Microsoft to prevent piracy. I certainly do NOT advocate piracy, but I'm typing this on an older machine, when I have a significantly newer one, because when I transferred everything from the old machine to the new one, everything worked just fine, except for Microsoft Office, which wants me to enter the 25 character product code, since it is a different computer serial number. It is a perfectly legal and registered copy of Office, but I misplaced that code years ago, and for some reason did not enter it in my database.

In reply to #10

01/11/2016 1:00 AM

You may have noticed that our distrust of Microsoft and it's products is common.

To that end the computer in this household is an iMac. This one. Completely happy with it and all of it's services.

I'm also old enough to wish there wasn't a need for computers at all.

Won't run vehicles controlled by computers. None of my fleet has one. I can't fix'em.

The phone thing only came about as a result of a hand-me-down from #1 son, and I only mentioned it because it does have all those capabilities I spoke of, some of which I thought that you were needing. As you clearly don't, well, there you go then.

01/10/2016 7:10 PM

Google "phablet". It is a phone and tablet computer.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (3); JIMRAT (1); lyn (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); Stueywright (3)

Previous in Forum: Nvidia Explains its AI Supercomputer for Cars — CES 2016   Next in Forum: Capacitor Parameters

Advertisement