CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: How to Create Very Thin Concrete or Screed   Next in Forum: Containing LN2 at Ambient T
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Waste Oil Heater

01/13/2016 8:34 AM

I'm not getting a flame in my waste oil heater. I think I have received some bad oil. How can I check the oil to see if has enough combustion properties?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 759

Re: Waste Oil Heater

01/13/2016 9:47 AM

A gas-chromatograph with mass spectrometry would be ideal to identify the composition of an unknown fluid. I seriously doubt you have access to this kind of equipment. I'm not sure what kind of test equipment you have at all. Can you tell us anything about this fluid; specific gravity, smell, color, viscosity, opacity, taste (that might be dangerous), vapor pressure, boiling point? Can you describe what happens in your burner when you try to burn this?

Most oily fluids can be made to burn if the temperature is high enough and enough oxidizer is present. The amount of energy you need to break this fluid down might exceed the energy it will release when burned.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 320
In reply to #1

01/13/2016 10:11 AM

The interesting part of gas-chromatograph with mass spectrometry.

We have one at work to check the composition of our product at work. And the most difficult, is separating and identifying the actual element(s). its pretty intensive and tidiest work.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

01/14/2016 12:18 AM

Must be one hell of a product you are making

Taking the company car out for a spin is not so tempting

Taking the company Maserati out for a spin,...

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #6

01/14/2016 4:37 AM

A food ingredient, Liquid smoke, can be some pretty nasty stuff.

When I was first hired there,I took a tour of the lab, when talking to the scientists, I was shocked when they pointed it out to me, and then added, it was only 1 of 2 food companies that had one in North America.

Even more interesting, was we also had one on the process floor for QC. But the maintenance was so high it was basically abandon. But the amount of data that was collected, we could tell you what was in the product, by the amount of Brix the product had.

I had some product analysis about 18 months ago. And had to fill out a request, I had to state what they had to test for. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. Or near impossible to do it.

As far as one hell of a product, it was a money making. our company was just sold, and the original owners disperse an addition bonus at the end of the year to individuals at the company that they felt were instrumental to the success. Ranged from $1,000 to $32,000.00 with medium of about $7,000.00. It was shocking and quite a windfall.

In reply to #7

01/14/2016 6:12 AM

I used to work in labs. GC / mass spec is awesome.

I wonder specifically if the public is not being told the whole truth about "crack". I have my doubts that it includes solely cocaine. (Where crack is concerned, I run the other way) You would think it highly in the public interest to not be in the dark about this.

Guru

In reply to #8

01/14/2016 6:59 AM

well, I think they know.... its the user who don't care if there's drain cleaner in there or not.

In reply to #9

01/14/2016 8:07 AM

I'm thinking something a bit more insidious than non-psychoactive, and for sure the user won't give much of a damn

I'm sure that the appropriate forensics folks do know, but this sort of radio silence on the matter is curious

Guru

Good Answers: 1064

01/13/2016 10:59 AM

Pour some into a clear glass beaker, and let it set for an hour....then pour some out in a can or old pot/pan in the backyard and try to light it...

Guru

Good Answers: 760

01/13/2016 12:53 PM

I run a used oil burner system as well so I am familiar with the problem.

The simplest test is to just heat the stuff up and see when it start boiling. If it starts boiling off at under 220 F then stops then raises to some where over 400+ F without boiling again you have water contamination.

If it boils between 250 - 300 F its likely an antifreeze contamination.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 136
In reply to #4

01/13/2016 2:36 PM

Agreed the heating test is about the most simple way to test your fuel. Another way to check for water, is simply warm up the oil to thin it, then add about 2-3% mass as anyhydrous sodium sulfate drying agent. If the oil is cloudy, it might clear up somewhat, and if wet, most definitely the added sulfate will clump into one nearly inseparable mass of crystals.

It does "sound like the fuel oil is highly wet, or it would ignite. Is the OP sure it will not light off, or is he/she missing the part where it lit off, then flamed out when a slug of water went through?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); phoenix911 (3); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); tcmtech (1); zzorb (3)

Previous in Forum: How to Create Very Thin Concrete or Screed   Next in Forum: Containing LN2 at Ambient T

Advertisement