CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Braking Calculation for Go-Kart   Next in Forum: Engineering Student, Connecting w/ Engineering Community
Close
Close
Close
20 comments

I Need Advice For My Grad Degree / Master Program

01/16/2016 6:47 PM

Next year i will be graduated from biomedical engineering in undergraduate degree . I really want to do something with designing ( designing a tool that can be used in medical area or other areas. ) . For example : I really want to know how to use computer designing programs as mechanical engineers do and other designing techniques . Which country is best to study for this field . What kind of field do you guys recommend for me to select for my grad degree / master program. I am seeking for your replies .

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

Re: I need advice for my grad degree / master program

01/16/2016 8:06 PM

Start by asking your academic advisor how to proceed.

Since the forum knows nothing about you, except that you are undecided and have done no independent research to discover answers to your questions, it would be impossible to give you any meaningful advice.

If you genuinely want help, send your educational history, personal aptitude scores and any real work experience, along with those places where you have looked already.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: I Need Advice For My Grad Degree / Master Program

01/16/2016 10:37 PM
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

01/16/2016 11:04 PM

I hear the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has a good program.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 57

01/17/2016 1:00 AM

I agree with Lyn, your academic adviser will know what schools are doing things in the field you choose.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 631

01/17/2016 3:19 AM

I'd say you are trying to do it the wrong way round!

Find a specific problem that interests you, then as you try to work on it you will immediately become aware of what you need to know and can read up/research the specifics required.
Say for example the properties of various plastics, or the problems of bonding metal to biological materials.
Hang on a minute!... if you are graduating from a biomedical degree you should surely have a basic understanding of mechanics and physics already and some sort of CAD experience?

Find a problem and solve it... it doesn't really work the other way round!
Del

01/17/2016 5:24 AM

The thing is , i am studying in Turkey and my university is not good at all. I haven't got any designing lesson so i don't have any CAD experience . By the way my academic advisor doesn't know anything . I had already talked with him . I really want to search on the internet but i don't know what to type in google for my possible degrees in grad

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 181
In reply to #6

01/17/2016 8:05 AM

For you -living in the Turkey - I would suggest to look at solutions nearer to home.

You have several choices in at least 3 countries: Switzerland the in Zurich or Lausanne, in Germany Munich Aachen and other schools, France or UK depending which direction you choose. In all countries you can find high level tuition.

You will be only a few hours from home which is a positive aspect.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #6

01/17/2016 9:23 AM

Like most experienced personality around here, you do not need to have a master or doctor's degree to study CAD. Some secondary level students in the US or Europe, actually, has skills and know how with CAD. I myself, never got a proper training with it, but, did scavenging the world web to taught myself how. I knew little and I am able to draw simple engineering stuff.

I believe drawing skills will come, if you have the the vision of what to draw- this simply means, your innovation.

Autodesk CAD, CFD, FEA has free version for students. License is good for 3 years and that, certainly give you enough time to learn some skills.

I so too believe, there is a lot of high caliber Masters and PhD institution in US and Europe. If you can't make it to entry or get some scholarship, there are schools in Asia that is producing outstanding outputs. Like

• Singapore
  • India - IIT
  • Japan
  • Australia and New Zealand as well

You could still be awesome even if you don't graduate or goes to those school by the way. It is because, all comes in your mind. Some great inventions does not came from a graduate professionals.

In reply to #8

01/17/2016 9:57 AM

Thank you for all your advice and commend . But i am still confused . what should be the name of the field that i should look for the web. Is it designing engineer or just designing or anything else ?

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #9

01/17/2016 10:43 AM

I believe if you do not know the word designing, you are not qualified to graduate your bachelors degree in engineering. Now, how can you manage to get your Phd or MS by then?

Guru

In reply to #10

01/17/2016 11:25 AM

Type this, "I really want to do something with medical tool designing" into Google, or your favorite search engine. You'll get answers like these:

New medical devices course leads to student innovations ...

Developing Devices That Are Just What the Doctor Ordered ...

Medical Product Design and Cognitive Psychology - Forma ...

Just tell it what you want it to do!

This is a skill that you MUST master, because almost anything in the world is available if you know how to search for it.

How to Search the Internet Effectively | MediaSmarts

Tips to Effective Internet Searching - Hannon Library

This is your first assignment! Now get started.

Good luck.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

In reply to #11

01/17/2016 12:44 PM

I hope it's not for me Lyn.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #12

01/18/2016 5:52 AM

It was an answer to your number....

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

01/17/2016 1:49 PM

See this: #11

Type this, "I really want to do something with medical tool designing" into Google, or your favorite search engine. You'll get answers like these:

New medical devices course leads to student innovations ...

Developing Devices That Are Just What the Doctor Ordered ...

Medical Product Design and Cognitive Psychology - Forma ...

Just tell it what you want it to do!

This is a skill that you MUST master, because almost anything in the world is available if you know how to search for it.

How to Search the Internet Effectively | MediaSmarts

Tips to Effective Internet Searching - Hannon Library

This is your first assignment! Now get started.

Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

01/17/2016 11:16 PM

An idea: when I go to the doctor or nurse, they take my BP with a cuff. We know this method is not accurate since it assumes a perfectly elastic artery. And any hardening of the artery will give false high numbers. Is there a better method? If not, there is a device waiting to be invented.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Good Answers: 168
In reply to #14

01/17/2016 11:33 PM

GA!

OP: Combine this (or any similar idea) with Del's #5, and you're on your way...

There are an awful lot of wonderful attachments being made for smart phones, and there are an awful lot of smartphones out there. Develop a small, inexpensive BP monitoring device that uses a phone for its brains, and you could sell millions of them.

A few teenagers have done something similar; no degree required!

You clearly have a good start in English. Improving that would be well worth the time...

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #14

01/20/2016 5:25 AM

What about a self-propelled suppository ? Just put it on the chair and sit for a moment...but wait, there may be appllcations in prostate examination..the list is endless.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 73

01/19/2016 2:52 PM

So, in the light that 'experience' comes from 'doing' but bestowed wisdom comes from learning from another's experience, I'd like to share a story with you.

A couple years ago now, I had to let go a Project Engineer that had a Masters in Mechanical Engineering; he only lasted a month.

Why, because he didn't know anything. He went straight from High School to Undergraduate to Masters and never held a job until he came to work for us. I didn't want to hire him in the first place, but 'he had a Masters' and was selected for me.

Your undergraduate degree is the foundation of the rest of your learning. And, for your information - your school may have sucked... BUT the caliber of one's education isn't based on the quality of what is taught, but rather what is learned.

Bottom-line, if you pursue a Masters based off an inadequate undergraduate degree, with no applied work experience - it would be like building a house on top of a faulty foundation - at some point it's all going to come crashing down.

My advise... go get a job right now, don't worry about your Masters. Find a company in the field you are interested in and that is large enough that you can advance in, start at the bottom. While you go to work, spend your 'free time' learning those things you failed to learn during your undergraduate. But how can you do that if 'you don't know what you don't know'? That's what the job is for. It will highlight where your weaknesses are. Fix them as they are revealed.

After about 5 to 10 years... pursue your Masters if you still want to.

In reply to #17

01/19/2016 4:08 PM

I agree.

This is MOST important for mechanical designers who want to build something.

More than once, I've had machinists complain that "whoever designed this had his head up his a$$."

Why, because it could not be made as drawn. This was especially true with injection molding tooling. It's one thing to draw a pretty part. It may be quite another to made it.

Get some practical medical experience first.

Register to Reply
Participant

02/06/2016 6:03 AM

CR4 ADMIN: Deleted Post

Spam: This post was deleted because it contained advertising outside the Commercial Space forum. Please review Section 14 of the CR4 Site FAQ about advertising.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 20 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Del the cat (1); dkwarner (1); JavaHead (1); lyn (4); mike k (1); Mr. small (3); nick name (1); OPENMIMNDZ (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); SSCpal (1); yigitalp (2)

Previous in Forum: Braking Calculation for Go-Kart   Next in Forum: Engineering Student, Connecting w/ Engineering Community

Advertisement