CR4 - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion ®

Previous in Forum: Activated Sludge Question   Next in Forum: Cause of Fire in World's Tallest Building
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Participant

Agitated Nutsch Filter

01/24/2016 1:02 PM

Hey guyzz we have purchased a agitated nutsch filter in our pharmaceutical industry. I wanna perform some design calculations for it.pls tell me some desig calculations and basis of design gor it.

Also posted in: also posted in Mechanical Engineering
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 345

Re: Agitatednutsch filter

01/24/2016 1:20 PM

Umm, shouldn't you have done this before you purchased the filter? Especially if (as you say) you have no idea how to incorporate it into a new or existing plant design without our help.

In reply to #1

01/24/2016 9:51 PM

We are planning to take another one also, nw you guyzz suggest me.i will do it nw.

Register to Reply
Guru
New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

01/24/2016 10:08 PM

This isn't really helping, if anything it is making your problems worse.

Have you considered hiring a consultant and explaining your dilemma to them so they can help you sort it out with a design that will meet both your system requirements while using products that have already been purchased?

Alternatively you could look on the internet and supplier websites for design guidance.

Good Answers: 1542
In reply to #7

01/24/2016 10:43 PM

OK, do this.

1. Contact your filter supplier by whatever means is comfortable for you. Phone, e-mail, internet web site, letter, whatever.

2. Tell them that you need technical assistance in selecting a filter.

3. Admit to them that you have no experience in doing this.

4. Offer to PAY them for their engineering design time since you can't do it.

5. Be prepared to answer questions about the process you will use.

6. Have a process flow chart or description ready to send them.

7. Be prepared to PAY for their servicezz.

Good lock.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 695
In reply to #7

01/25/2016 10:55 AM

<...We...> have got the proverbial cart before the proverbial horse. One cannot design something that has already been delivered ready for use; that's just silly.

Good Answers: 521
In reply to #1

01/25/2016 7:00 PM

Agreed. 1 Research, 2 Design, 3 Purchase, not the reverse.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1542

01/24/2016 1:37 PM

You have made a classic mistake. More than one, actually.

Any calculations should have been done long before any purchase was made.

You should have known how to make these calculations yourself or had someone on staff who could do it for you.

You should have admitted to the company who supplied the filter to you that you know nothing about these filters nor how to perform any preliminary design calculations for them. They might have enlightened you, before it was too late.

You may still be able to ask your supplier how to perform these calculations, or at least supply you with the calculations they made.

To put it in different terms, you have screwed the pooch.

Put the cart before the horse.

Gone off half cocked.

Messed up.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/24/2016 1:42 PM

As Lyn said, you are quite stuck as with no design done before hand there is absolutely no guarantee the filter you have purchased will actually be suitable or could be made suitable after the fact.

Return the filter, get someone to do the design for you and then purchase the correct filter(s) suitable for your application.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Fans of Old Computers - PDP 11 - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 67

01/24/2016 2:51 PM

I don wanna help...

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741

Re: Agitated Nutsch Filter

01/24/2016 9:48 PM

CR4 could use an agitated noodge filter....

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #6

01/25/2016 4:07 AM

You sound like one of those people who cook all the vitamins out of their veggies.

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

In reply to #11

01/25/2016 4:21 AM

You would be totally wrong. Vegetables should be cooked only until they slightly turn color, and should remain just shy of chewy-crisp. My wife and I have both mastered this, with only maybe a rare overshoot.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #12

01/25/2016 6:20 AM

The nutritional benefits of agitated noodges is highly under-rated, is what I'm sayin

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #12

01/25/2016 6:57 AM

I can scarcely imagine what dumb philistine would dispute that, but we do have a clue.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76
In reply to #6

01/26/2016 10:18 AM

Bravo!

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 758

01/24/2016 11:11 PM

I guess a mathematics lesson in Cauchy or Kalman Filters or just the generic mathematics of filters will not really help.

<Sigh> I tried.

Guru

Good Answers: 114

01/25/2016 5:02 AM

I take it that you are making a product in liquid form and trying to remove most of the carrier liquid before breaking up the cake residue and putting it into a dryer, and that you need to perform this operation under vacuum. My guess is that you picked up this equipment cheap from another manufacturer or a second hand dealer and you had to snap it up quickly as they don't come onto the market that often. I would also guess that there is another one coming up soon which is why you are considering a further purchase before you have proved this one. Go to the equipment manufacturer (not the seller)and get a full specification of what the filter will do from them. They should be willing to help as you are now a potential customer for spares and possibly new machines in the future (it might help if you hint that this is the case). Compare the specification against what you are trying to achieve. If the spec is higher than your target, no problem go ahead and install it in your plant. If the spec is just short of what you want then are you able to compromise? Usually you will be looking for a low moisture content to reduce both drying times and cost, so any compromise will reduce you throughput and increase your costs. If the spec falls well short of what you need consider using it for a different purpose like cleaning up your waste stream so that you are not releasing contaminated effluent into the environment. Don't go ahead and purchase the second machine until you know that it fits your requirements. Dealers often say that they have lots of potential buyers to rush you into purchasing. They don't want their money tied up in stock that does not have a quick turnaround. Consider who else is in the market for this type of filter, there is not only a limited supply of second hand filters, there is also a limited market for them.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Participant

Good Answers: 1

01/25/2016 11:02 AM

Agitated Nutsch Filter(ANF) is a modified Buckner filter where you can apply either vacuum or Pressure. The design calculation proceeds as follows:

1> Calculate area of filter.(A=Pi*D^2/4).

2> Fix cake height to be kept(H) (max will be equal to Discharge hole height.). Greater the height you select poorer will be the filteration .If you do some experiment in Lab you can decide filterability of the cake.

3> calculate cake volume .(V=A*H).

4>Determine cake Bulk Density(BD) in lab Buckner filter experiment as a first approximation.Also find cake solids% in lab experiment.(TS)

5>Calculate DRY cake Mass.(M=BD*V*TS/100).

6> Calculate Filteration Rate: FR=M/T. Where T is filteration time.T can be found by an actual trial in plant trial.

As plant characteristics of cake may be different a plant scale trial will give you a better estimate.

For determining plant scale productivity possible(Kg dry product/hr) use T= Slurry charging time+Mother Liquor filteration time +Cake washing time+Cake discharge time.

A sample calculation is given below:

Typical Design calculation for ANF:
S.NOITEMUNITREMARK
1Filter DiaM4
2Filter AreaM^212.6
3Cake HeightMM200To be determined by plant /lab trials. Maximum will be equal to discharge valve height.
4Cake VolumeM^32.5
5Cake Bulk DensityKg/M^3600To be detrmined in lab
6Cake Solids%50do
7Dry Cake MassKg754
8Filteration time
9Slurry ChargingMin10To be determined by plant trial.
10Pressurization/VacuumizingMin10
11ML Filteration timeMin5
12Wash timeMin15
13Depressurization timeMin5
14Cake discharge timeMin30
15TotalMin75
16Filteration rateKg Dry Solid/Hr603
17No. of available Hrs/DayHr20
18Filteration capacityKg dry Solids/Day12064
Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 4)
Guru

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

01/26/2016 10:16 AM

I wanna know how you are all going to validate it. That will be fun to watch, Mildred!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

AVIJAR (1); Crabtree (2); jack of all trades (3); jhhassociates (1); lyn (2); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1); SRINIVAS.KARRA (1); Tom_Consulting (1); Tornado (3); zzorb (2)

Previous in Forum: Activated Sludge Question   Next in Forum: Cause of Fire in World's Tallest Building

Advertisement