CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Cause of Fire in World's Tallest Building   Next in Forum: Is Awarding Low Bid a Deal?
Close
Close
Close
Active Contributor

Getting a Job as a Traffic Engineer (No Engineering Degree)

01/27/2016 3:54 PM

This was also posted in the transportation forum

Hello everyone,
First I guess Ill start off with some information about my background. I am currently working for my family business. We specialize in Traffic Signs (Both permanent and temporary construction signs), traffic control/road safety supplies and equipment sales and rentals. I have been in this industry my whole life (even before i was technically able to legally work lol). My grandfather started one of the largest traffic control companies on the western side of the united states. My father helped run it even after my grandfather sold it to an investment group. After a decade or so my father and the firm just couldn't see eye to eye on the direction of the company and my father quit to start his own company. Since then they have gone bankrupt. I started "working" for my dad's company when i was about 13, although since i wasn't old enough to legally work i guess you could call it chores. Ive done everything. from cleaning the bathrooms, pulling orders, making signs, deliveries, lane closures, sign installations the list goes on and on..... there isn't a job in the company that i haven't personally done. Now I am 29 and I have worked my way up to "shop manager" although most of the time it doesn't feel that way. I work "with" my dad and i oversee the production of all the signs, I make sure everyone is being productive and ensure that the customer is getting everything they order. Our customer base is mostly private contractors doing work for cities, counties or State DOT (i don't want to say the state because I don't know who might be on this forum and i don't want this finding it's way back to my boss) but we also do a lot of work directly for more than 50% of the cities in my county (public works, public utilities etc.). So as you can tell my experience in the traffic industry is pretty extensive.

Now that I have gained my experience I't causes conflict between my father and I since he has been the one person in charge his whole life. So he doesn't take kindly to being told hes wrong and that there's a better way of doing things. I'm not saying hes wrong all the time but as they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat" there's also more than one way to run a company. Pretty much the work environment is horrible and extremely stressful. Not to mention the 60hr work weeks... which I didn't mind until my daughter was born 4 months ago and I now see how important time is. So when i get to work at 5:00am and leave at 5:00pm get home at 5:30 i only have about 4 hours to spend with my daughter before i need to be in bed. I can hardly take any time off without hearing about it. My father game me attitude when i asked to work 2 half days after my daughter was born so i can help my wife get everything set up at home. After dealing with it for years ive finally had enough. Now I still value my relationship with my dad so i couldn't possible go work for one of our competitors.... So the only thing I can really think of is to get a job for the people I have been doing work for. I looked online and there are a couple openings for civil/traffic engineers in a couple of cities in my area and I noticed that some require an engineering degree and some just put down "Degree Desirable".

So my question is pretty simple. With my background and knowledge in the traffic industry, do you think I have any chance and landing a job even without an engineering degree?

Any input would be appreciated. thanks guys

Register to Reply
This discussion was "closed" on 01/27/2016 4:53 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
This thread has been closed because it is a duplicate. Please add your comments to the original thread: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/105710/Getting-a-job-as-a-Traffic-Engineer-No-Engineering-Degree
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 753

Re: Getting a job as a Traffic Engineer (No Engineering Degree)

01/27/2016 4:40 PM

Duplicate posting is discouraged.

This discussion was "closed" on 01/27/2016 4:53 PM. No new comments are allowed.
Message from admins:
This thread has been closed because it is a duplicate. Please add your comments to the original thread: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/105710/Getting-a-job-as-a-Traffic-Engineer-No-Engineering-Degree

Previous in Forum: Cause of Fire in World's Tallest Building   Next in Forum: Is Awarding Low Bid a Deal?

Advertisement