CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Tesla to Unveil a New Car Line Next Month   Next in Forum: Car Accident
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 73

ANY terrain vehicle?

02/11/2016 5:26 PM

Sure.. it seems pretty self explanatory from the picture.. Another monster of sorts

Is it a one of a kind bass boat?

Watch the video

then read about it..

What made me say OMG!?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1141

Re: ANY terrain vehicle?

02/11/2016 6:02 PM

Here's another more road worthy ATV....with a propeller drive it seems...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CIStK2hN6Q

Bonus link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKffzONb-hw

The birdmen of Dubai....

Wow Ironman....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V4RbhqvDIU

http://wordlesstech.com/jetmen-fly-wing-to-wing-with-an-airbus-a380/

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 754
In reply to #1

02/11/2016 8:08 PM

Wheelie ====> Turtle. Does it have an arm that can come out and turn it back over?

In reply to #1

02/11/2016 8:13 PM

02/12/2016 3:32 PM

No guess on the omg? Ok

Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #4

02/12/2016 11:41 PM

He did not tie it down as he drove off into the sunset.

In reply to #4

02/14/2016 1:53 AM

Well I was a bit taken aback by the fact that he seemed to be mowing down what appeared to be a newly planted reforestation effort....not necessarily an OMG without some confirmation...

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #11

02/15/2016 9:33 AM

Yeah, watching the video I was thinking, "Don't let the hicks see this, they already tear up was too much countryside for no good reason when they're "goin' muddin'." The scene where he was driving with a bare foot sticking out didn't help the 'Russian Redneck' impression I was getting.

If that thing made it to the US, I could see one of two names for the model line:

• The Extinctioner (for its ability to trash almost any habitat it comes across.)
  • The Overcompensator (Do I really need to explain this one?)
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

02/13/2016 1:20 AM

Andy he drove away without actually tying it down, typical Russia.....

Good Answers: 113

02/13/2016 5:24 AM

cool video... looks good, only one passenger?

If it was THAT good, then why haven't the military snapped it up?

My guess is that while it looks good, the engineering needs to be upgraded, interchangable parts with other FAMO, servicable parts in the field.. and a list as long as your arm.

as a fun vehicle.... awesome! but it has its limits, they all do!

In reply to #7

02/13/2016 10:35 AM

Sorry brich it has seating for four two with safety belts two without. Not sure if it was this article I read it or another one but it does have multiple seating positions

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #7

02/19/2016 4:13 PM

One thing I can see why, at least the US military, hasn't snapped it up,,, the tires do not meet their spec in terms of what they are supposed to stand up to. If I recall, tires have to still be functional with a few rounds of ammo in them.

In reply to #27

02/19/2016 8:07 PM

That could probably be accomplished by using a wire mesh framework like the luner rovers used on the moon missions, and also a foam sealant to seal the hole, then air-up just like the hummers do with the on board compressor.

02/13/2016 11:22 AM

No correct guess so far.

And it's obvious birch didn't read about it.

Next!

Good Answers: 27

02/13/2016 7:07 PM

You being American i guess the fact it only has half a motor (4cyl ) is an OMG. Or is it the weight? Less than a Pony car and half of a Toyota Landcruiser.

Jim

In reply to #10

02/14/2016 3:37 PM

You have a GA from me, but you have to admit that just finding the factiod is admission of an OMG (at some level) of your own?

That car in your profile pic looks something like a 47 Hudson Super Six? Not a four.

Truth be told, I was gasping at every other spec. Just the fact that it's not a prototype is impressive. Very cool design overall. Like SolarE I was wondering about the testing grounds? The small trees caught my eye too. ... but WOW.. it looks capable of a good time.. I would hesitate to be a back seat passenger on rough terrain. ouch

It would be a perfect addition for the 2000 acre property with the private lake and island that I don't have.

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #12

02/15/2016 4:34 AM

I worked on a mine site in 1970 and rode around in a series 1 LandRover. The only cushioning was the green grass and mud of mother England, and seeing as i was driving around on Koolan Island in King Sound the ground was made of iron. The company liked the car as no one wanted to stay in the b%&dy thing any longer than necessary. I am sure that these things can be no worse.

The avatar car was owned by my extended family and used as a taxi.

Way back in the 50's there was a LandRover that had been adapted to drive over salt flats around Derby, Western Aust. It had very wide tyres, like rolling pins. I remember it as the pic was used in our science text book to illustrate weight over area. Never saw the vehicle in the flesh. Got no idea how it turned.

Jim

In reply to #13

02/15/2016 5:45 PM

I've seen a truck with that type of 'rolling pin' tire. I don't remember when or where, but it wasn't in the flesh either. It also seems difficult to google. Nice center of gravity, but not so good in the narrows.

Bumpy rides are memorable for all the wrong reasons.. in the air too!

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #13

02/16/2016 9:01 AM

What what I can imagine about a salt flat in the Outback, one does not need to turn at all, much less turn sharply.

In reply to #18

02/16/2016 9:58 AM

I can't imagine they need rolling pin tires either.

A bigger footprint is nice to have

The big issue would be garaging the vehicle.. towing.. replacing the tires.. and about a thousand other issues. There's good reason the design is gone is all I'm saying.

Nobody ever need to turn.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #19

02/16/2016 11:00 AM

ROFLMAO!!!

In reply to #12

02/15/2016 10:29 AM

It looks like they were wrecking the scenery in Latvia or Lithuania. Pretty soggy places both. As far as military uses go, it is a sitting duck.

In reply to #15

02/15/2016 5:50 PM

I grew up in a area where we could 'wreck' the scenery on dirt bikes, cars, trucks and whatever. A beautiful old dump of a place back in the wood behind the corn fields. Now it's truly wrecked in the form of suburban sprawl.

The military can certainly keep their hand off this. It's far to practical and inexpensive.

02/16/2016 11:07 PM

Here's one more reason the military doesn't need this. I hope none of us ever see's this thing or worse yet a bunch of them doing their business.

In reply to #21

02/17/2016 8:43 AM

Don't be so terrified. It is not full robotic (most of the time). Operators have overrides and controls. They are terrific tools in the hands of our ground troops who will soon be on the ground fighting Al Queda (again) and ISIS, and whatever islamic ( I refuse to pay deference to it by giving it a capital letter) bunch of pootnfoots who decide to not hide behind women's skirts or children whenever we show up. One other thing. Without the U.S. Military, we wouldn't be alive, much less speaking English, much less having the right to be Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Buddhist, or atheist.

I think an amphibious one of the UGV (ugvies) class is certainly within the scope of what the military may need at some point. It should be not a problem adapting what we already have to amphib operations. I say its time to go join up. The next President of the United States (not the current POTUS - Punkin Head of the United States) will definitely take care of the problems in the Middle East - and put this Medieval notion of a caliphate to bed - about 6 feet under bed rock.

In reply to #22

02/17/2016 9:47 AM

What I meant was I hope none of us see these rumbling into our communities.

The "enemy" will catch on and use similar equipment one day. automated or not. It's a sad day for all.

In reply to #23

02/17/2016 10:22 AM

We will have learned how to "buddy gonna shut you down" - Beach Boys lil' Deuce Coupe.

HA HA HA. Don't worry, be happy. You already live in a freaking war zone, excuse me, gun free zone, with your Kool-Aid dispenser for a mayor.

I will put our boys (and girls) up against any #1 A hole in the world, and we will come up winners. U.S.A !

In reply to #24

02/17/2016 10:59 AM

I neither live in a war zone nor a gun free zone.

I enjoy peace. The elected officials have had little control over the low income crime ares. It doesn't matter where in the world you are. Without taking mental heath into account there is a cultural as much as it is a gangster issue. If you live in one of these areas then you are at a higher risk of being influenced by violence. Fortunately some people move away from these areas. Not surprisingly some are attracted to them. S*** will spill into the best areas of the world and when it does it makes the news, but that doesn't mean the world is s***. It just means those people are.

Peace in the USA! International Peace! Is it impossible, or just impossible to imagine?

In reply to #25

02/17/2016 1:34 PM

The Beatles imagined all the people living in peace, the U.S. Marines make it peaceful, when they are given a chance to do so.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Andy Germany (1); brich (1); James Stewart (6); JE in Chicago (9); JIMRAT (2); Kevin LaPaire (1); LOCKDUKE (3); SolarEagle (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Tesla to Unveil a New Car Line Next Month   Next in Forum: Car Accident

Advertisement