CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Scary Food   Next in Forum: What is it? (16 Feb 2016)
Close
Close
Close
37 comments
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

How to Calculate Diameter and Height of a Pressure Sand Filter

02/15/2016 3:43 AM

How will calculate diameter and height of the pressure sand filter?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 749

Re: How will calculate diameter and height of the pressure sand filter?

02/15/2016 4:00 AM

The best way is to state the flow, fraction of crud, and acceptable service interval; and let a vendor do the calculations or table look-ups, or whatever.

Good Answers: 1586

02/15/2016 4:07 AM

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

02/15/2016 7:55 AM

Process calculations will indicate the size of the vessel.

One should always allow for N-1 vessels being in service while 1 vessel is backwashing.

Good Answers: 1125

Re: How Will Calculate Diameter and Height of the Pressure Sand Filter?

02/15/2016 10:43 AM

You can use my beach sand calculator...

Amount: 1 pound (lb) of beach sand weight
Equals: 18.10 cubic inches (cu in - in3) in beach sand volume

http://www.traditionaloven.com/building/beach-sand/convert-pound-beach-sand-lb-to-cubic-in-beach-sand.html

You can use these pool filter dimensions if you know GPM....

http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-filters/pro-series-top-mount-i-tpros--1

In reply to #4

Re: How Will Calculate Diameter and Height of the Pressure Sand Filter?

02/16/2016 12:25 AM

Good Answers: 92

Re: How to Calculate Diameter and Height of a Pressure Sand Filter

02/15/2016 8:14 PM

You can measure it!

If you mean calculate as in design calculation you need to find a formula for sand filter design.Then its pretty straight forward.

Good luck!

In reply to #5

02/15/2016 9:32 PM

Yeah! OT!

02/15/2016 9:31 PM

When reading all your posts it comes to mind that you represent a case of:

If I know how to ask my question correctly I do not need to ask it anymore!

The reason for this maybe is that half the question is the answer! The other reason is that in order to understand how to ask the question you need to start understanding the what you are asking about.

You might want to put the learning before the question. The only other way of doing this correctly is to put more context in the question.

So far the answer is:

Use a formula and a calculator.

Good Answers: 116

02/16/2016 6:13 AM

You might as well have asked "how long is a piece of string?" Nobody can answer the question without knowing; the % solids in the water intake, the size distribution of those solids, whether the water has been pre-treated with coagulants to remove dissolved constituents like arsenic, what the water is being used for (drinking water or industrial use or release to the environment as cleaned up sewage or industrial effluent), the maximum, average and minimum flow rates, and the regulation regime that you are operating within. There are many different types of sand filter so there are many different formulas for calculating the sizing. A typical commercial sand filter would have three layers each with differing grades of 'sand'. Course at the bottom to stop the sand being washed through, medium in the middle and fine at the top to catch the finest size of particulate in you intake water. Choice of the grades and depth for each layer will depend on the factors shown above. The surface area of the sand bed is determined by the flow rate and the head feeding the filter. The frequency of back washes is determined by % solids, what you can tolerate as the minimum throughput as the filter blocks, what you can cope with as the maximum flow rate when the filter is clean and what average throughput you need. Finally you are going to have to work within the regulations and these vary from being very strict (US, Europe, Australia) to quite lax (India, China, Brazil)

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #9

02/16/2016 6:55 AM

".......how long is a piece of string" Sorry JHH, the official answer is: "twice the distance from the center to one end".

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #10

02/16/2016 9:21 AM

Good, good. Here's another one for you:

"How far can a man walk into the woods?"

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #11

02/16/2016 9:28 AM

OH. I know, I know.

All the way.

I'll bet you thought I was going to say halfway.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #12

02/16/2016 9:48 AM

Sorry that is incorrect, IQ got it right.

"Halfway in, after that, he's walking out of the woods."

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #14

02/16/2016 10:13 AM

Au contraire, hairlip!

He walked ALL the way INTO the woods, at the halfway point he could walk no further INTO the woods.

At the halfway point, he would begin walking OUT OF the woods, so he would no longer be waling into the woods!

I demand my NoPrize, too!!!!

Guru

In reply to #16

02/16/2016 11:13 AM

The problem here is thinking of 'in' a a destination or a location.

'In' is actually a direction, or a facing.

You can walk a quarter of the way in to the woods, turn around and walk out, which is the same as walking a quarter of the way THROUGH the woods and turning around.

'Through' goes all the way, but 'in' and 'out' are just directions along 'through.'

It wasn't like I asked what sort of bear you'd see out the window of a house with an all Northern exposure?

Associate

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #18

02/16/2016 11:34 AM

Does the radius of a circle not go all the way to the middle? I will not reach my cabin in the middle of the woods if I only walk half way into the woods. I am not obligated to walk any further once I hike all the way into the woods and reach my destination.

Guru

In reply to #22

02/16/2016 12:00 PM

Ah, but where is the 'middle of the woods'? Is it the geometric 'center of mass when viewed from a satellite photo? Is it where you are after following a path until you cannot see what is 'outside' the woods? Is it where you are standing when you realize that you're completely lost?

All this argument about what is essentially a 'one hand clapping' question. This reminds me of a story:

A Buddhist monk went to visit Conney Island, and while there he came across a hot dog vendor. The monk then said "Make me One with Everything."

The vendor rolled his eyes at the obvious pun and proceeded to build the hot dog. The monk gratefully accepted the local delicacy and handed over a twenty dollar bill.

And waited.

And waited.

His much-celebrated patience nearing its end, he says to the vendor, "I think you forgot my change."

The vendor replied, "Don't you remember, All Change must come from Within."

---

"Thank you, I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitstaff, they work hard for their money; after all, they HAVE to be here listening to me every show, and these jokes don't get fresher on the third retelling of the evening."

Guru

In reply to #22

02/16/2016 12:13 PM

No, No No. The radius only goes from the center point of a circle to one edge. And if your cabin was in the middle of the woods, you would only need to walk half way in to your cabin. If you walk half way to your cabin you have only walked a quarter of the way.

English language, is just so lov-e-ly. Awesomely fine I believe.

Guru

In reply to #27

02/16/2016 12:19 PM

Yes, English is such a fine and flexible language, where words can so easily be twisted into new meanings.

---

An English Teacher was talking in front of his class, "In English, two negatives in a sentence cancel out and make a positive statement, in other languages, two negatives in a sentence make a negative statement. However, in no language will you find two positives in a sentence making a negative statement."

A student in the back of the class loudly popped her gum and called out "Yeah, right."

Guru

In reply to #29

02/16/2016 12:37 PM

Nice change to have banter here!

Guru

In reply to #18

02/16/2016 11:57 AM

No, the problem here is thinking of 'in' as the word you used in your riddle, when it was "into".

Technically, as soon as you enter the woods, you have walked into the woods.

While you are walking there, you are walking in the woods because you have already walked into the woods.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #24

02/16/2016 12:05 PM

Ah, so I mis-stated the riddle. I had never seen it written out, only heard it orally, and it is very easy to confuse 'in to' and 'into' when they are spoken.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #26

02/16/2016 12:23 PM

And when they are written.

In to and into are probably two if the most misunderstood and misused words I can think of. (And writing "misused words of which I can think", seems like total grammatical overkill to me)

Where's Gallagher when we need him?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #30

02/16/2016 1:57 PM

"(And writing "misused words of which I can think", seems like total grammatical overkill to me)"

"That is the sort of pedantic nonsense up with which I will not put." -Winston Churchill (apocryphal)

(yes, I have memorized that quote)

This is English, not Latin, we have the right to dangle prepositions off of cliffs, to orphan participles out in the middle of the wilderness and to BOLDLY split any infinitive we darn well please.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

02/16/2016 11:32 AM

Feeling generous today. You can have half a thumb Tom!

Associate

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #14

02/16/2016 10:25 AM

If my cabin is in the middle of a plot of woods, I'd have to walk all the way into the woods to get there, so Lyn is not technically incorrect.

Guru

In reply to #17

02/16/2016 11:13 AM

The problem here is thinking of 'in' a a destination or a location.

'In' is actually a direction, or a facing.

You can walk a quarter of the way in to the woods, turn around and walk out, which is the same as walking a quarter of the way THROUGH the woods and turning around.

'Through' goes all the way, but 'in' and 'out' are just directions along 'through.'

It wasn't like I asked what sort of bear you'd see out the window of a house with an all Northern exposure?

Guru

In reply to #19

02/16/2016 1:43 PM

The woods begin at the perimeter, after you enter the perimeter you are in the woods....You can walk around indefinitely in any direction, but you are never out of the woods until you cross the perimeter line....$.002

In reply to #32

02/16/2016 2:00 PM

Well said.

Now if I can only find my way out of the woods of this linguistic debate I've found myself mired in.

Guru

In reply to #34

02/16/2016 2:31 PM

And the bonus question is.........can we use the 'lost in the woods scenario' to... calculate diameter and height of the pressure sand filter?

I conclude, NOT!

QED

Guru

In reply to #35

02/16/2016 2:51 PM

Enough of this Tomfoolery and nonsense.

Here's what I suggest:

One per pound of crud per cycle, with a minimum of two and a spare.

Guru

In reply to #36

02/16/2016 4:21 PM

Oh goody, a 2016 Full house Dalek. Pimp my ride dude!!!

Guru

In reply to #11

02/16/2016 9:44 AM

Only half way as when he reaches half way he is walking out again!

Guru

In reply to #13

02/16/2016 9:53 AM

Correct, you win a genuine NoPrize, the same model Stan Lee used to give out in the letters page on marvel Comics:

Guru

In reply to #15

02/16/2016 11:30 AM

Oh Goodly Moodly, Can I get a reference now and keep the thumb?

Guru

In reply to #20

02/16/2016 11:46 AM

I found it on a Google image search for "Stan Lee thumbs up."

The site that claimed to have the image was instead showing what I believe to be a 'no hotlinking' image, to I just copied the thumbnail from the google search to use.

Guru

In reply to #23

02/16/2016 12:15 PM

So no thumb, just a nail? Now I have been swizzed....

Register to Reply 37 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (11); DeputyDawg (2); IdeaSmith (3); IQ (9); jhhassociates (1); lyn (6); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (3); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Scary Food   Next in Forum: What is it? (16 Feb 2016)

Advertisement