CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Uruguay Now Generates Almost 100 Percent Of Its Electricity From Renewables   Next in Forum: Passive Solar Heating/Cooling
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Participant

Geothermal Investors

02/15/2016 3:50 PM

Hello Guys. I am based in Kenya and we are looking for a company that can invest in the Geothermal sector within Kenya. As you are aware, Kenya has a Geothermal potential equivalent to approximately 10,000 MW.

Our company will help link the investor with the relevant Government parastatal that is involved in this sector. We shall not ask for any cash before the contract is signed with the Government. After signing, the investor will pay our company a pre-agreed commission. That's all! Any interested parties can PM me.

Cheers!

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: geothermal green power Kenya
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

Re: Geothermal Investors

02/15/2016 4:32 PM

<...we are looking for a company that can invest...>

Rubbish. This is not the way to do it.

Instead, use Google to find "venture capital investors in Kenya", and get busy on the phone, selling. Otherwise an interminable wait is in prospect.

In reply to #1

02/16/2016 3:51 AM

It's not Rubbish, PW Slack. It's actually 'investing'. What i did not say is that the Government wants investor who can handle a Public Private Partnership type of operation as Independent Power Producers.

Ormat Technologies is already doing this in Kenya. The government has already signed contracts for the same with three other companies. There are still plenty of blocks available for other foreign companies to invest in.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #2

02/16/2016 10:04 PM

I recently received notice from a Mr. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, of the Nigerian Government, that a distant relative left me $20 million USD in their Nigerian National Bank.

I'd be willing to invest it all.

Just PM me with your bank account information and I will have the money transferred immediately into it.

You can take your commision from the proceeds.

Register to Reply
Participant

In reply to #3

02/17/2016 2:56 PM

Wow Lyn! Nigerian scammers now? My explanation was pretty simple i thought? We often get to bid for tenders within the energy department in this country... And we get to win some. However, there are certain tasks that cannot be performed by Local company because there is lack of manpower or the banks cannot guarantee to finance such projects. Chinese with their Export Import (EXIM) Bank often get to do such.

Most often these foreign firms work with local agents who link them to these type of projects. When i talk about commission, it's sometimes in form of the foreign firm awarding the civil works part to the local firm or just simply cash... But of course your cynicism may hinder your understanding of such maybe?

FYI not everyone living in Africa is looking to scam you... so relax, OK?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1588
In reply to #4

02/17/2016 3:36 PM

My cynicism makes me skeptical of anyone who would come to an anonymous forum looking for millions of dollars in investment funds for unproven projects.

New Funding to Boost International Support for Geothermal ...

2016 International Geothermal Showcase

Global Geothermal Development Plan (GGDP) | ESMAP

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 416

02/17/2016 8:35 PM

Sorry to say that this has all the same trappings as an over-unity power system but disguised as an investment.

1. It promises more than it can deliver; i.e., "...Kenya has a Geothermal potential equivalent to approximately 10,000 MW..." That's a nice (unsubstantiated) claim, especially since various studies put the target number at 5,530MW in 2031.

2. It takes no work to keep it going; i.e., "...We shall not ask for any cash before the contract is signed with the Government. After signing, the investor will pay our company a pre-agreed commission. That's all!..." So you collect a commission upon signing, not after the work is done?

3. It brings in an unaffiliated third party to provide credibility to the venture.; i.e., "...Ormat Technologies is already doing this in Kenya...". Yes Ormat just brought the total capacity of their project to 140MW. It's important to note that Ormat financed the latest project with their own money, the rest was financed by, guess who, the US Gov't. Why does my intuition tell me that Ormat wouldn't be happy if they knew you were throwing their name around?

To summarize, if it sounds like a scam, operates like a scam, is financed like a scam, and has a payoff like a scam, then...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 155
In reply to #6

02/19/2016 1:33 PM

I hear ducks quacking, even waddling.

In reply to #6

02/19/2016 4:10 PM

Wow! RAMConsult and Lyn... are you guys just obsessed with SCAMS? Pretty interesting stuff. Alright i don't know where you got that 5,500 MW stuff but read these and tell me what you think:

http://www.esi-africa.com/news/kenya-s-10-000-mw-of-geothermal-and-its-vision-2030/

http://geo-energy.org/reports/EAG/GDC%20USEA%20Presentation%20-%20Geothermal%20Road%20Show.pdf

Note that there is a difference between potential and target, OK?

About the the fact that i talked about Ormat already doing a project here.. what's wrong with that? You go like..." It brings in an unaffiliated third party to provide credibility to the venture"... That is called cooking a conspiracy theory out of nothing. The investors our company is looking for are exactly those who will operate as independedent Power Producers(IPPs)... as i stated in my earlier threads.. So i gave Ormat as an example of an already existing IPP, but you managed to cook a conspiracy out of that??

" It takes no work to keep it going; i.e., "...We shall not ask for any cash before the contract is signed with the Government"... What work did you want to keep going other than the investor to set up his machinery and start generating electricity to sell? OK let me reiterate what i said in my earlier threads. There are tenders which our company bids for and sometimes wins, within the energy sector here. We bid for them because we can perform the tasks involved. When the task involved is beyond the abilities of any Local company or local banks like building a power plant that will costs US$ 100,000,000, then we sound out foreign companies to do the jobs. So, when we get a foreign firm and do paper work like licenses, agreements e.t.c for them, we often do so after signing an agency agreement. It is called a working relationship.

Let me reapeat AGAIN what i had stated in my earlier posts: We do ask for a a commission, BUT, the commssion can be in CASH format or CIVIL WORKS. More often than not, we often choose to ask for the civil works bit from them because it's even MORE LUCRATIVE than a one-time commission in CASH!... Let me put it like this: We may tell the... ' Don't give us cash, we would like you to outsource to us the civil works part'. There is always civil works in power installations!

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 8 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

James Stewart (1); lyn (2); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (1); sakkid (3)

Previous in Forum: Uruguay Now Generates Almost 100 Percent Of Its Electricity From Renewables   Next in Forum: Passive Solar Heating/Cooling

Advertisement