CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: What is it? (16 Feb 2016)   Next in Forum: Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Cancer Treatment Looks Promising

02/16/2016 9:57 AM

..."The treatment involves taking immune cells, called T-cells, out of patients' bodies and attaching "receptor" molecules to them that specifically target cancer. Then, the cells are put back into the patients.

While presenting at an American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Washington, D.C., the lead researcher called the treatment a "potential paradigm shift."

He admitted more work needs to be done, though. For instance, the researchers don't know how long these patients will stay symptom-free.

The two studies mentioned also had small sample sizes. In a past study, however, 94 percent of roughly 35 patients with a form of leukemia went into complete remission. "

http://www.wptv.com/news/unprecedented-cancer-treatment-making-patients-symptom-free

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35586834

http://news.sky.com/story/1642626/extraordinary-cancer-breakthrough-revealed

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

Re: Cancer Treatment Looks Promising

02/16/2016 10:48 AM
Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

02/16/2016 10:53 AM

They always sound promising. If they didn't there would not be a press release.

This sounds similar to the Keytruda treatment President Carter got. Far too often the media warps these "cures" into false hopes. The few times a report attempts to be a well balanced report the need for sensationalism to get noticed still lingers.

Good Answers: 80

02/16/2016 10:58 AM

My mother in law was scheduled to have this a couple years ago, but unfortunately was physically unable. There is parallel to chemo in that your body has to be able to cope with the stress- as I understand it viruses are involved in the gene slicing to create the desired vectors, and to cause the body to replicate them in new T cells. Getting the right combination without having an excessive reaction by the patients' system to the alterations seems to be a key.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1125
In reply to #3

02/16/2016 11:16 AM

Yes indeed this seems to be a problem yet to be sorted....

Good Answers: 29

02/17/2016 3:30 AM

Back in 1973, my aunt and uncle both had lung cancer and even though they were given chemo and radiation, they passed away. I was a kid back then and I remember things were so bad that my sisters and I weren't allowed to see either of them - we had to wait in the visitors room.

Fast forward to 2002, my better half was diagnosed with a very aggressive Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. She was Stage 4 and it was spreading throughout her body. Her oncologist told me that the first month would determine whether it would be okay. She was put on a cocktail of four chemicals (CHOP) and luckily the tumor liked it and gobbled it up. The other worry was that they couldn't kill it too fast or the dead cells would clog up her system. By the third chemo treatment, she had become very weak and deadly sick - I don't know how she kept going. After six treatments, she was given a clean bill of health, but since NHL has a high recurrence rate, they put her on a monoclonal antibody for two years. It's been 14 years since she was diagnosed and she's cancer-free!

I am intrigued by this "new" treatment. It took a very ingenious person(s) to come up with this treatment. 33 of 35 is a great response, but more studies are needed to prove the effectiveness. It's a wonderful start and gives new hope!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 58

02/17/2016 4:58 PM

Let's all hope it works. Two of my co-workers lost their wives recently, and my son's father-in-law also was lost to cancer within the last year.

On the plus side, former NFL qb Jim Kelly appears to have beaten it.

So do we still have a "money gives you a better chance" situation with this disease?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Autobroker (1); Bayes (1); JNB (1); Phys (1); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: What is it? (16 Feb 2016)   Next in Forum: Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed

Advertisement