CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Cancer Treatment Looks Promising   Next in Forum: Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed

02/17/2016 2:03 AM

Sir,

I want to replace the zeolite inside the Airsep Newlife Elite Canister.Could you give me instructions on opening of the Canister please.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed

02/17/2016 3:57 AM

Did you look for the manual?

In reply to #1

02/17/2016 4:37 AM

Yes I have seen this....Thank you so very much

Participant

In reply to #1

02/17/2016 10:58 PM

Yes I did....thank u so very much!

Guru

Good Answers: 27
In reply to #1

02/18/2016 3:57 AM

I just read through the manual and it made no mention of changing the sieve material. The picture in Randall's post shows the top is just held down by nuts on the long studs next to the cylinders. So obvious that the OP may have already undone them but cannot remove the top section (head ). If Randall's pic is anything to go by it could just be that there is corrosion holding the head to the cylinder. In the pic i see the springs are covered in wet sieve material on one bank and clean on the other.

I would use a rawhide hammer to knock up the head but not seeing the unit in question i couldn't recommend that approach. Or could I??? heh heh. evil bastard.

Op gone quiet? SNAFU

Jim

Guru

Good Answers: 230

02/17/2016 5:11 AM

See the following site:-

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.com/equipment/oxygen_concentrators_equipment.html
Doesn't look too hopeful, but, the picture at the bottom does show the sieve tanks open.

Sieve tanks

The sieve tanks are filled with zeolite granules, a synthetic aluminium silicate. Zeolite acts as a molecular sieve which binds the nitrogen molecules and lets the smaller oxygen molecules pass. Unfortunately zeolite also has the ability to absorb water which can cause problems in areas with high humidity.Sieve tanks should last at least 20,000 hours, and when regularly maintained even 40,000 hours or more. Typical problemsSieve tanks tend to lose their filter properties over time. High humidity is often the reason. Water then condenses inside the filter and clogs the granules. Too high system pressure and low oxygen concentration is an indicator for a blocked filter. You will also get an asymmetric concentration measurement results because one sieve tank will deliver more oxygen than the others as the control circuit periodically switches between them. A clogged sieve which contains water also weighs more. If it is 50 g heavier than a new one the sieve tank contains too much water and has to be exchanged.Please note, that sieve tanks should always be replaced in pairs, even when only one is defect. In industrial countries this is not a problem, because the tanks can be ordered easily and the prices are reasonable. But in other countries the situation is different. Due to the high shipping costs it does not always make sense to repair the concentrator.

In principle it is easy to prevent moisture in the sieve tanks - the concentrator just has to run regularly. Concentrators which are not in use should be switched on for at least half an hour every week, in regions with high humidity maybe twice a week. Only when the concentrator can the sieves get flushed and not only the nitrogen but also the moisture is then removed out of the tanks.The inside of a clogged sieve tank

Tip! An oxygen concentrator has to run, at least half an hour every week.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #3

02/18/2016 9:51 AM

From the image that shows the wet mess that can be encountered and that possibly is encountered in your case, i would suggest using a lead or lead filled mallet to break the seal. It looks like there are o-ring seals that supply the hermetic seal. i would imagine that the system was once introduced with water, then allowed to dry and therefore the slurry that has become of the zelolite has probably somewhat cemented the lid a bit to the side walls. a little bit of authority should dismantle the apparatus.

Guru

Good Answers: 8

02/17/2016 11:52 PM

If you cant find the manual, contact the manufacturer, giving him all pertinent data especially model number, serial number date of manufacture, and operating pressures, the more information the better.

Very often minor changes are made and not necessarily covered in the manual, and one of those minor changes may affect a procedure.

Good Answers: 21

02/18/2016 5:30 AM

Use a hammer, chisel, or tin opener. If the canister still does not open, use a JCB, front end loader, Tiger tank and then some explosives such as thermite. Should you still experience difficulty in opening the canister, please buy a new one from your local supplier.

Anonymous Poster #2

02/18/2016 9:26 AM

From your terse and slightly fractured English, I'm parsing out the following as the question you meant to ask:

"I want to open up a hermetically sealed 'one use' canister to replace the zeolite within. I cannot or do not wish to purchase a new canister."

There are some follow-up questions I would ask, such as. A) have you already gotten a reputable source for the fresh zeolite? B) Is this fresh zeolite comparable to the industrial zeolite that was originally used, or is it a 'mayby/sorta/kinda/almost as good' substitute that might not work as well? C) Have you figured out how you'll reseal the canister after replacing the contents? The repaired canister needs to be as 'air-tight' as the original. D) Are you willing to risk the life of the user of this medical equipment by subjecting them to the 'repairs' you are making?

Please consider the options and risks carefully. A kitchen drain can be jury-rigged with little risk, as the worst result from failure is a wet floor, but when you start trying to modify 'life-sustaining equipment,' you are risking accidentally killing someone.

Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 152
In reply to #8

02/18/2016 10:24 AM

Apparently, the part about risking the life of the patient is only of secondary importance in whatever Godforsaken place the AP #1 is from.

He is probably going to replace the original zeolite (if indeed that is what it is) with horse stall deodorizing zeolite (which is actually good stuff, and works on pet carpet spots to a certain extent - nothing is foolproof), and then duct tape the canister back closed.

If AP #1's system looks anything like the one photograph posted on this thread, I would strongly urge them to not attempt to use this type of equipment, since THNFIWTAD, and have no intention of actually reading TFM.

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #8

02/20/2016 10:30 AM

Yes, U have understood my Q.I am simply going to replace the zeolite.I have found a good supplier too..My concern is, the canister have fine granules and what my supplier has is also small beads but not as small as the existing one.I guess, the size of the granules would affect the flow rate and the pressure .Am i right

I plan to use apply glue around the removed cover on the top and furhter use heat shrinking tubes to keep it intact. Do u have any other suggestions for this?

Guru

Good Answers: 21
In reply to #12

02/20/2016 6:22 PM

Do u have any other suggestions for this? Perhaps a prayer or three. Some lighted candles.

Is your finished article safe for human use or is the 'quick buck, (rupee)" worth the risk?

PVC, Polyolifin, XLPE heat shrink? Thermoplastic Elastomers, antistatic plastics, you have a huge expensive choice but duct tape will be the cheapest for sealing.

Hint, call Du Pont

Armageddon.

Guru

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #12

02/20/2016 9:03 PM

Flow rate and pressure [drop] will be affected by grain size.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #14

02/22/2016 9:33 AM

As well as efficiency, since this is a chemical process of adsoprtion (he described it as 'binding' the nitrogen in order to concentrate the oxygen), so, much like Activated Charcoal, it's not the volume, it's the surface area.

I'm guessing the grain size in the original was selected to insure that 99.999% of the air that passed through the canister was 'forced up against' the zeolite, so the mineral could latch onto the nitrogen. Larger, roundish 'beads' would create larger gaps between the 'grains,' and unless the airflow is made deliberately turbulent (which would reduce the flow rate through the canister, if it could even be accomplished) there will be 'rivers' of untreated air passing through the filter.

This whole project is making me feel 'uneasy,' not quite 'Can I hooks up 3 20kV generators together with just wire nutz? One's a Why, one's a Delta, and I don't know what the tird is' uneasy, but the price of failure here is 'injury up to and including DEATH.' If this is someone in a 'resource poor' region who is trying to make the concentrator work 'just a bit longer' until the proper supplies arrive, he has my hopes and prayers, and I'll even light a menorah(1) for him. If, however, the OP is someone trying to 'refurbish' the filters to sell to unsuspecting customers, then someone needs to send the cops after him, the big, scary cops who can 'make people disappear.'

Notes:

1. I'm not Jewish, but I do know that the menorah is a symbol of one of the sieges on the Temple. The priests found they had only enough lamp oil to keep the Temple Flame burning for one more day, but by some miraculous event(2), that one day's worth of oil lasted eight days, until the reinforcements came and broke the siege. So I can't think of a better symbol to be the metaphor for 'making something last when it should by rights be completely worn out/used up.'
  2. I'm not going to analyze the scenario, even though I can see some mundane ways that the miracle could have happened. This is an engineering forum, not a place for religious debates.
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 700

02/18/2016 11:26 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Anonymous Poster (2); Casper71 (2); IdeaSmith (1); IQ (2); James Stewart (1); JIMRAT (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); setlock77 (1); TANUJ (2)

Previous in Forum: Cancer Treatment Looks Promising   Next in Forum: Airsep Newlife Elite Sievebed

Advertisement