Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Power-User

Good Answers: 25

Unusual Method of Prestressing Concrete

02/21/2016 10:41 PM

I found a very short paper on an unusual (to me) method for prestressing concrete published by a researcher in what was then (1972) the Soviet Union.

It involves welding a sheet metal plate to all edges of a concrete part (the edges being prepared for this by incorporating steel connectors made up of angle iron welded to loops of rebar). Once the concrete is poured and the cure is well along, grout is injected into the space between the sheet and the concrete part to pre-stress it. The grout sets and the concrete part is pre-stressed by the internal pressure retained by the set grout.

According to the paper, only ordinary steel is required, and only ordinary concrete, which makes a big contrast to western pre-stressing practice which requires both high-strength steel and ultra-strong concrete mixes.

Naturally, this would seem to lend itself to a "poor man's pre-stressing" for the Third World (where I happen to live). But I can't find any further information. The references in the paper are to Soviet publications, except for one which is East German. The back numbers of the last are maintained only in libraries in the old Eastern Zone - none in the West.

So as a last resort I am hoping to find an expert in this forum who can tell me more about this technique and perhaps steer me toward a source of additional information.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: concrete prestressing Sheet metal
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1543

Re: Unusual method of prestressing concrete

02/21/2016 11:27 PM

I see no way this can work. To be feasible the grout would need very high tensile strength, otherwise it just cracks and relieves any stress in may have built up when it shrinks as it cures.

Now, if you can find a way to make the grout expand when it cures..........................

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #1

02/22/2016 12:22 AM

Obviously I can't have an opinion about this, but this was not offered as a proposed method - it was claimed to have been widely and successfully applied. It did state that the steel was not stressed beyond its elastic limit, which suggests elastic recovery if there was shrinkage in the grout.

Either Voronkov lied, or there is a way to make this work.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #2

02/24/2016 10:25 AM

Can you describe it in more detail? Prestressing I'm aware of is for reinforced concrete beams, prestressed lengthways, so that when a bending load is applied the concrete doesn't go into tension immediately (tensile strength in concrete cannot be relied on) and a greater load can be taken.

Yours sounds like a concrete block encased in steel plates. How is the concrete stressed in tension under an applied load, so prestressing gives a benefit?

In reply to #14

02/24/2016 7:43 PM

This method inherently pre-stresses the concrete part in two directions - which can only be done in conventional pre-stressing by running tendons in both directions. Basically, the sheet is welded to anchorage members all around the edge of the part, and when the sheet is put into tension it pulls in both directions. The examples in the paper all take advantage of this feature in particular, but it's difficult to think of any situation in which it would be a DISadvantage. Take a simple beam - conventional pre-stressing compresses the tension side in only one direction, but then passive steel has to be present to hold tension in the other direction or there will be failure in the other direction due to necking under load. This system takes care of both.

But what intrigues me is that - apparently due to the large areas over which these internal loads are applied to both the metal and the concrete - only ordinary steel and concrete are needed to make this work. In conventional prestressing, high strength and high stiffness are both needed.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

02/24/2016 8:42 PM

"Invented in the Soviet Union" says it all for me.

"when the sheet is put into tension it pulls in both directions" also leaves me wondering.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 741
In reply to #16

02/24/2016 8:58 PM

Pulling in only one direction would be even more wondering.

In reply to #17

02/24/2016 9:05 PM

Pulling in one direction away from the slab when the steel rusts away is within my comprehension.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 114
In reply to #15

02/27/2016 11:42 AM

No doubt the Russians did this for a reason, but I still can't picture the situation. What shape is the "part"? When you say edges, do you mean faces? as it would have to be an enclosed volume if you're going to pump grout in.

I'm not an expert on reinforcement, but I don't see what you mean by passive steel has to be present to hold tension in the other direction. In a beam, as far as I'm aware re-bars go in just one direction, lengthways. As beams usually take mainly a weight load, in one direction, downwards, in principle most of the bars could go in the bottom side, but if it's a symmetrical section would have to make sure the guys on site put it the right way up. If it's a T-shaped beam, eg for a floor, that's not an issue.

I still don't see how your concrete is put into potential tension by an external load. Also other advantages of conventional reinforcement is that the concrete cover protects the steel from corrosion and fire.

In reply to #19

02/27/2016 12:03 PM

Various examples are given. One is a simple slab, simply supported at two edges, another is an underground box with each inner face prestressed, the third example demonstrates the use of the method of sections with this technique.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

02/22/2016 12:45 AM

The grout would be in compression rather than tension. Moreover, the whole idea of grout is that it shrinks minimally if at all, and I think some elastomer-type grouts expand without shrinking afterward. "Grout-Fast" being one example, if that brand is still in use.

In reply to #3

02/22/2016 1:31 AM

Correction: the name was "Chock-Fast".

In reply to #3

02/22/2016 9:11 AM

How can the grout be in compression? The plate is on the outside of the pour. The pour has not cured when the grout is injected into the space. The concrete will continue to shrink away from the steel plate and the grout.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

02/22/2016 10:36 AM

You can't push a rope.

In reply to #6

02/22/2016 10:53 PM

Of course the grout is in compression. It is sandwiched between the concrete part and the sheet metal that is bonded to the concrete at its edges. As it is injected into that space, the metal stretches, putting the grout in compression and the metal into tension. That tension is exerted on the edges of the concrete part, putting it in compression.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

02/22/2016 11:23 PM

OK, I missed the part where the forms were removed after pouring (curing well along didn't sink in) and the grout space is totally confined.

The problem I see now is the amount of pressure that can be generated by injecting an incompressible mix into a finite space without blowing the metal "sheet" away from the "steel connectors made up of angle iron welded to loops of rebar".

Drawing on my experience with injection molding, I see no way that this can exert enough pressure on the concrete pour to be worth the effort and expense.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #9

02/23/2016 2:03 AM

Hmm. Grout - even grout that is not fully confined as this is - can exert huge forces when used to grout a structural column, for example. I've seen that use. That's the so-called dry-pack technique. The grout for this technique would of course have to be much more workable.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1062

02/22/2016 1:10 AM

In reply to #4

02/23/2016 1:44 AM

In PCC pole factory here the contractor had installed crude way of pre tensioning of high tensile bars. He had installed inverted 'U' frame mounted with 2 Tonne capacity Chain Electric Hoist. At hook of the hoist,a sling is passed through vertical pulley fixed in ground to create horizontal pull on the sling. Sling's another end is attached to steel plate which had pullers which are clamped on steel bars to be pre stressed. before pouring concrete steel bars are prestressed to specified length and concrete is poured.

Good Answers: 27

Re: Unusual Method of Prestressing Concrete

02/24/2016 12:02 AM

All concrete structures are meant to have a minimum of 50mm (2") of concrete between the atmosphere and any rebar. It sounds like this method has a connection from the outside to the rebar inside. This would ultimately lead to concrete cancer and collapse. I expect there are reasons it is not in widespread use.

Jim

In reply to #12

02/24/2016 1:25 AM

It makes a connection between the steel sheet and the anchorages, but the rest of the steel (passive steel) could be isolated. In any case, there is a precedent in methods accepted in the West for putting tendons on the outside of the structure, primarily as a retrofit but also as an original construction method.

Register to Reply
Participant

03/11/2016 12:47 AM

You can also search on google.

Register to Reply
Power-User

In reply to #21

03/11/2016 6:49 AM

I haven't had any luck on Google or EspaceNet (for patents) searching for this method. Which is why I am here.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 22 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Codemaster (2); donnadenham (1); JIMRAT (1); lyn (5); piolenc (7); SolarEagle (1); suresh sharma (1); Tornado (4)

Previous in Forum: Stress Analysis   Next in Forum: Moosie Mind Blower

Advertisement