CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: My Excel is Locking Up   Next in Forum: Home computer self starting twice or more per day.
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 24

Sharing Printer

02/22/2016 5:16 PM

My computer is Windows Pro 7, and connected to the Internet via ethernet to a Technicolor TG582n modem, which can also be used as a router.

The "target"computer to which the printer is connected is Windows 7 Home, it is connected via WiFi to the same TG582n

Both computers are connected to a "Homegroup" I can "see" the other computer, but am unable to access the printer. I have the passwords

Any help will be appreciated

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 158

Re: Sharing Printer

02/22/2016 6:07 PM

On the host computer:

Devices and printers

Right click on the printer, and select "Printer properties"

Select the "Share" tab

Check the box marked "Share this printer"

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 128

02/23/2016 8:49 AM

And please let us know if the solution worked for you.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/23/2016 10:14 AM

Thank you both, the sharing option was as Kilowatt stated. I was unable to see the printer from my computer, I'm still able to see the host as well as the TG582n.

Must I "Add a Printer" to mine? If so, must I enter the Username and Password of the Host computer? If yes, if that PW changes will I again be locked out.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #3

02/23/2016 10:44 AM

Yes. You have to "add a network printer".

In reply to #3

02/23/2016 11:26 AM

Yes, you still have to add a printer, and point it at the printer on the host computer. Sorry I didn't mention that, it was the last 3 minutes at work. When it asks whether to install a local or network printer, select network. It should show up when it searches for available printers.

"If so, must I enter the Username and Password of the Host computer?"

Not if you already have the ID and password set up properly for your homegroup connection.

In reply to #5

02/23/2016 5:17 PM

Thanks,

That could be the issue. When I go to the network page, there is a statement that my computer already belongs to a Homegroup. When I go to the host computer it looks as if I could connect the printer to my computer, I could print from the current host.

I won't be able to get back to this until Thursday.

Thanks again to all

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 3

02/24/2016 5:14 AM

One small note regarding the sharing. Using a "Homegroup" is supposed to make things easier in the sharing Dept o of libraries, devices, and such, but I find it's more of a pain than a helping hand.

For instance you need a "master" that creates a Homegroup and assigns a password. Not a big deal when setting up your first connection on the first computer, but things don't always sync up when dealing with the second computer. You need to join the Homegroup created by the first computer but Windows doesn't always see this, or both machines could already belong to a Homegroup, but not the same one if they were configured previously. So go in to the Homegroup settings and make sure both passwords are the same. You can also leave the Homegroup on both computers and start over. If you do this it's best practice to have the pro version machine create the group and then join said group on the home version machine (as well as on other computers you'd like in the Homegroup). However, as the home version machine is the "always on" computer you may want to create the group on that machine. Maybe not always on in your case, but it needs to be on to access the attached printer.

Personally, I've never been able to have even two computers reliably stay connected using the Homegroup feature. Something always goes wrong.

So I prefer to not mess with Homegroups. Instead, I have a desktop "server" (running win7 pro) that is always on, has my older USB photo printers & other non network capable devices connected, as well as multiple drives for sharing and backup of files. With this setup I have a rule in the house: everyone has a "master account & password" on this machine, and the same account name+password on any other machine in the house they may use. After I enable printer/file sharing & right click/share on the top level "users" folder on each device with my admin account (not the same as Homegroups junk), each user can access their personal folders on any machine in the house, plus any folders I share on the "server."

The server is the newest & most powerful machine in the house & as such handles the file/printer sharing duties with ease & also contains the bulk of my engineering programs as well as office & other more common programs. Being a pro version it can also act as a remote desktop, so anyone in the house can remote in for access to said programs & the entire machine at their privilege level.

A lot to digest! But something to think about In the future. For now make sure both both machines are indeed part of the same Homegroup. If you don't have matching accounts DO NOT just rename them. This creates a world of hurt. If needed, add a new account on the home version machine to match the account on the pro machine if you're still having trouble with the printing.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

02/24/2016 9:47 AM

I prefer to have a WLAN printer (but it can also be connected locally by USB cable if needed) with integrated scanner, that anyone with "legal" access to my Router can use, though this is seldom....

No cables needed is also a blessing and I can place it almost anywhere in the house or cellar.....even in the garden, but actually never tried!!

In reply to #8

02/24/2016 11:06 AM

That is what I use as well. Recently, while removing the 'popcorn' ceiling in the home office, I just moved the printer into the garage. Worked like a champ!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #9

02/24/2016 12:22 PM

I use a Canon 5350, is a few years old, but uses any cheap tanks that I buy on ebay....print quality is really good, especially photos on high gloss paper....

What are you using?

In reply to #10

02/24/2016 3:09 PM

HP B210a. The print is good, tanks are midlin' pricey, but it also scans to computer - which I have used a lot!

In reply to #11

02/24/2016 4:31 PM

I am lucky, my Canon Printer/Scanner will work just fine on the cheapest ebay tanks that I can buy....they cost a tiny part of the original Canon tanks.....

A set of 5 mixed original Canon tanks costs €30,- from Canon or its distributors. I can buy 60 mixed for a little over €25,- on ebay....quite a difference!!

03/01/2016 1:13 PM

Thanks to all.

A couple of updates. It appears there are/were two homegroups, one on each computer.

I eliminated both and started over with negative results. The MS Troubleshooter discovered an issue with the clocks, they both must be the same, but were two minutes apart. Both computers were set to sync with the internet, had the same time zone and

DST disabled. Still couldn't get them to agree, so I manually set them, again with neg results.

I'm now attempting to set up a new network.

I'll let you know. I created this yesterday, don't know why it didn't get posted

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Bayes (1); Iceberg86300 (1); JWthetech (3); Kilowatt0 (4); WJMFIRE (1)

Previous in Forum: My Excel is Locking Up   Next in Forum: Home computer self starting twice or more per day.

Advertisement