CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: How Much Data Can This Hold?   Next in Forum: Induce Change in Voltage on a Wire
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Commentator

Good Answers: 6

HP 250 G3 Business Laptop

02/22/2016 6:15 PM

Hello.

Friend of mine purchased a HP 250 G3 Business Laptop computer in an online auction.

He wants to sell it. On Amazon it retails for $835.51.

I cannot find in many searches, what it is that makes this Laptop worth that kind of money.

Intel Processor Celeron N2815 Processor 2.16 GHz

2GB DDR3 Ram

320GB Mechanical HDD

Windows 8.1

My searches on HP's website,CR4, Google,Yahoo,etc. still leave me with the question of what makes this Laptop worth that price ?

The specs. i can find just do not seem to add up to be worth that kind of money.

Can anyone here help me understand what i cannot find ?

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1129

Re: HP 250 G3 Business Laptop

02/22/2016 6:31 PM

Well they have 3 used ones for $170. that should tell you something...probably about what it's worth....

Here's a newer model for $339...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-250-G3-Notebook-Review.129284.0.html

I think this one is better....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HFF8TK?psc=1

I have 2 tv's that I can buy for less than 1/3 of what I paid a few years ago....

02/22/2016 8:05 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I am still using a Dell Latitude C610, Windows XP Pro when mobility is needed.

When my friend got the HP and offered to sell it to me i was a bit shocked by the price.

Browsing the web i found HP 250 G3 for less than half the price but am curious what it is when they add business to the title that skyrockets the numbers.

The old Dell is still taking care of business, so there is no hurry to buy. Some day.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 92
In reply to #2

02/22/2016 8:23 PM

Sure this is a friend of yours? How much did he pay in the online auction?

Sounds like he wants to make a coin out of your friendship.

I would go with what works and what I have until it breaks or I want something better.

In reply to #3

02/22/2016 8:41 PM

Good advice, thank you.

He has not told me what he paid for it. The price he was asking killed the deal.

It is more about after finding what specs i could find for the HP,they just did not add up to the price advertised on Amazon.

It seems apparent to me that i am ignorant of something about that laptop and thought perhaps someone here might enlighten me.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #4

02/22/2016 8:51 PM

Asking in a different way:

When HP includes the name business in the title of the laptop (HP 250 G3 Laptop vs HP 250 G3 Business Laptop) is it better hardware or software which justifies the increase in price ?

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #5

02/22/2016 8:59 PM

Actually, it can mean just the opposite. Many times business computers are designed only to run office apps and other low-bandwidth/low-clock kinds of operations. The idea is to keep them cheap so businesses can afford to buy them.

If it said gaming system, then you are usually talking about big bucks on fast processors, huge cache memories, lots of RAM, monster ultra-fast harddrives, super-duper graphics cards, etc.

I figure it might be worth about $200 if it wasn't beat up. Laptops are consumable. They just don't last.

Register to Reply
Commentator

In reply to #6

02/22/2016 9:16 PM

Thank you.

I agree.

That is why when i go to Amazon and search HP 250 G3 Business Laptop = $835.51.

On the same page on Amazon, HP 250 G3 Laptop is $299.99.

The laptop with more RAM and a larger Hard Drive is less than half the price.

So in this case,whats up ?

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #7

02/22/2016 9:38 PM

I think part of the reason is that Amazon can still show listings for things that are no longer sold with the price that was charged several to many years past. I have come across this from time to time.

Is the Business version still being sold at that price? I look at the comments section to see what dates the purchases are being made.

I'm still using a Toshiba laptop with a deCeleron processor running XP that must be at least ten years old. We bought several of them on some Black Friday blowout for $400 each. It does all the word processing, Office 2003 apps and web browsing that I need to do at home. When it finally breaks, I'll replace it. It actually has a parallel printer port on it. It doesn't have a the 9-pin RS-232 serial port though. At work, I have an HP Z420 3 GHz quad Xenon workstation with gobs of RAM and all the goodies. It handles CR4 just fine.

Plus, your buddy's laptop is used with no recourse for warranty repairs hence you are assuming a large risk and therefore the price you are willing to offer reflects the risk you are shouldering.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

In reply to #8

02/22/2016 10:08 PM

Thank you.

I clicked on the business model on Amazon and they put it in the cart and then tried to sell me extended warranty.

Looks like their price is current, at least to them.

You may be right about out of date.

I went to HP Business Laptop page and the G3 is not there. A G4 is there for $369.00.

May just be a mixup at Amazon.

Thank you for your help.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 94
In reply to #9

02/23/2016 11:52 PM

Is that laptop being sold by Amazon or by an independent vendor? I've found that more and more many "vendors" try to catch people who don't do research on products by over inflating descriptions and prices on old product, especially computer related.

They are most often overseas but try hard to hide that tidbit. Sometimes Amazon will find these scams and remove them but they can't police all their offerings anymore. They're just too big.

Also, beware of the product reviews. They are no longer as reliable as they once were. Vendors have learned to pad them with not so obvious positive reviews.

Lastly, beware of overseas vendors that claim product delivery in two days. I learned this the hard way by ordering some cables from a California vendor where I missed the very fine print that said they would be shipped from China and take 6 to 8 weeks. I could have drive 15 miles and paid a buck more to get the same product locally but I've gotten really spoiled by Amazon Prime shipping.

Shopping on Amazon is resembling ebay transactions more and more every day.

Hooker <-- who was once a vendor on Amazon

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81
In reply to #2

02/24/2016 4:02 AM

If you do decide on a new Dell, check out their Dell Outlet store. They sell off equipment that has been returned for some reason. May have been faulty but will have been repaired & comes with a full warranty. Might just have some cosmetic damage, a scratch or something.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196
In reply to #2

02/24/2016 9:55 AM

That guy is not a friend!!

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #12

03/03/2016 2:33 AM

What I forgot to mention is that "buying ANYTHING" from a friend or acquaintance is very rarely a good idea, nor is purchasing from a family member.....anything from cars to computers.....

Unless you, (not him or her) yourself can prove to yourself, that the friend/Family member is selling at a very advantageous price, just for you personally, then maybe a "MAYBE!"

I am NOT anti female, but they are seemingly particularly fond of believing that their cars/computers are worth far more than they really are, completely ignoring the fact that both lose significant value from day one when first bought.

Sales Tax is an obvious one.

And also some are not being particularly good at following maintenance schedules, "they SAVE money, no matter what it costs".....even a $500 car can require many thousands just to make it roadworthy and reliable.

If you are thinking of it still for a car purchase, get a motoring association like the AAA (appear to do this I found:- ".....get a pre-purchase vehicle inspection and history report before......") or the AA (UK) still do it, or for Germany the ADAC to do a full checkup of the car and offer a current value and a new certificate/Tags etc..

I know that the ADAC still offers such a checkup for very little money, I am assuming that probably the others do too, without checking up fully.....your job!

Using a garage in your area for such an assessment is risky, not unless you really know them personally, remember, maybe they are involved with selling a new(er)car to YOUR seller....how would you know. Stay away......

At least (for cars!) get a new MOT or TÜV or the equivalent of what such checks are where you live, this helps, but is not a guarantee....BEFORE AGREEING TO PURCHASE!!

For computers, an exact comparison can be difficult for an amateur, so it could still be a "rocky road". If you are not ebay and or computer savvy, always buy new with a full guarantee.....

But at the end of the day, such a bad sale could remove a friend or family member from your acquaintance forever and or, cost you a vast amount of money for what we would call simply "CRAP".....that is the risk.

These "sellers" are to my mind, at least partially "Sociopaths", at best.......

Never forget, at the end of the day, YOU BOUGHT IT, YOUR FINAL DECISION!

So no matter what they said to to make you buy it, its still your fault.

If the price is around the market price for the article, or maybe even higher (as here with the laptop offer!!), simply say NO!! It has to be around 50% of its current values to be even slightly interesting!! Less is better!!!

I refuse completely to sell anything to family members or acquaintances, seen it go T*TS-up FAR too often!!

Or I give it to them and let them know any reservations I may have.....but "free" can still be costly as my Brother found out many years ago after giving for free a B.I.L. a 10 year old car, who was still coming back a year later and complaining!!!! In the end he simply took the car back to shut him up, and sold it!!

Remember the old adage, still true today:-

Caveat emptor /ˌkævɛɑːt ˈɛmptɔːr/ is Latin for "Let the buyer beware" (from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavere, "to beware" + emptor, "buyer").

02/24/2016 10:04 AM

Two years ago I bought a secondhand Toshiba Sat Pro with a Quad core i7 processor, USB2.0 and 3.0, 16gb RAM, less than a year old for around $400 (€381).

Hardly used......

It was at the time, still the second fastest i7 Mobile processor from intel. I did not NEED such power, but it became attractive to me as I saw nobody was bidding on it at €380.....

I bid 10 seconds before the end €440, and overbid another last second bidder who had posted €380.....

It still gives most modern Laptops the run around with speed......though some top models are faster nowadays....but who cares!!!

Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

02/29/2016 4:28 PM

Above 500GB Intel core processor 2GB RaM laptopparts101.com

Register to Reply Score 2 for Off Topic
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain, and now disconnecting as Little England and Wales (not too sure about Wales bit, either). Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 701

03/02/2016 7:00 PM

If the <...friend...> wants to sell it, then the simplest way would be to put it back on the online auction. The question as to what it's worth then doesn't arise, for the auction marketplace will determine that.

Why anyone would want to sell something that has just been bought is a little curious. <...Friend...>, eh? Is a bid on the relisted item wholly out of the question, then [rhetorical question - NNTR]?

<unsubscribes>

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (3); Brave Sir Robin (2); grandpaw (5); Hooker (1); IdeaSmith (1); Nigh (1); PWSlack (1); Rabaacca (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: How Much Data Can This Hold?   Next in Forum: Induce Change in Voltage on a Wire

Advertisement