CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Atlas Humanoid   Next in Forum: Solar Beam Welding Using Fresnel Lens Focal Spot
Close
Close
Close
32 comments
Active Contributor

Student Project

02/26/2016 3:40 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm doing my degree in United Arab Emirates. I m supposed to do a final year project but I Want it to be something interesting. So which field should I do my research. If Anyone have any suggestions please tell. Thank you.

Also posted in: also posted in Engineering Projects
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 92

Re: Help for my student project.

02/26/2016 3:59 AM

Something mechanical should be interesting.

It will also be interesting to see what you end up doing.

You would not be able to describe what "interesting" means for you, would you?

Otherwise I would suggest a Double Length Waterfront Hose Loader Compression Plunger Drive Assembly.

In reply to #1

02/26/2016 3:34 PM

I will surely look into it. I will let you know about the updates sir.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

02/26/2016 4:28 AM

I'd suggest something like this.

Or, maybe this.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Active Contributor

In reply to #2

02/27/2016 2:51 PM

Thank you for the help sir. I will let you know about the updates.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70

Re: Help for my Student Project.

02/26/2016 8:01 AM

Considering the value of clean drinking water in that part of the world I would consider working on a desalination system that works on solar, wind or wave power.

Drew K

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 237
In reply to #3

02/26/2016 12:55 PM

Good idea.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1140
In reply to #3

02/26/2016 6:41 PM

Yeah I'm sure nobody's thought of that....

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 70
In reply to #14

02/29/2016 8:01 AM

I think I saw a documentary on tv about Perth and wave powered desalination.

wikipedia link

• In Western Australia, Carnegie Wave Energy are refining a technology called CETO, which uses energy captured from passing waves to generate high-pressure sea water. This is piped onshore to drive a turbine and to create desalinated water. A series of large buoys is tethered to piston pumps anchored in waters 15 to 50 metres deep (49 to 131 feet). The rise and fall of passing waves drives the pumps, generating water pressures of up to 1,000 pounds per square inch (psi). Carnegie's first commercial wave farm is due to be completed on Garden Island, near Perth, Western Australia, by mid 2014.

Drew K

In reply to #3

02/27/2016 2:53 PM

I assume its already used in the market. I will still research about it and try to do something innovative to it. Thank you for the help sir. I will let you know about the project once i finalize my topic.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

Re: Help For My Student Project

02/26/2016 9:09 AM

Hmm, what mechanical engineering project would be interesting in the United Arab Emirates: Solar cooling, robotic pipeline repair pig, failure analysis and prediction of a pipeline, deep well repairs and emergency shutoff design. These are just a few casual guesses I have.

The most awesome final year project would be one you could complete on time, under budget and that uses the resources you have on hand. In short, a project that demonstrates to your teachers your skills at using the knowledge you've learned in their classrooms. Your first CR4 assignment is to find somebody that knows what you've learned.

In reply to #4

02/27/2016 2:57 PM

I will look in to those areas sir.

Thank you for the advice. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 210

02/26/2016 9:26 AM

The UAE was the 6th top carbon dioxide emitter per capita in the world in 2009. theres a problem worth tackling, get back to us when you're finished.

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

In reply to #5

02/27/2016 3:02 PM

Yes UAE is still one of the most affected region. Thank You for highlighting this problem. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project.

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 33

02/26/2016 10:05 AM

Maybe a nice trebuchet or catapult to help defend yourselves when all the bullets and bombs are used up.

In reply to #6

02/27/2016 3:03 PM

Its out of use these times. But something innovative in it will be nice. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177

02/26/2016 11:58 AM

A mechanical approach to fire suppression/prevention in high-rise buildings in Dubai.

Good Answers: 1140
In reply to #7

02/26/2016 1:38 PM

Like a giant robotic spider that could scale the building spewing fire retardant webbing....?

Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 177
In reply to #9

02/26/2016 2:46 PM

I didn't say feasible. Did nobody get my reference to this?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that, still doing it. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774
In reply to #10

02/26/2016 4:13 PM

That spider robot looks feasible to me.

In reply to #7

02/27/2016 3:05 PM

That's a very fine idea. Finding a solution for that is a hard task. I will research more about it. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1598

02/26/2016 3:29 PM
Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25

02/27/2016 1:14 AM

Hi Rohit, I would like to consider any Solar project as there is lot of sunshine in UAE.

In reply to #15

02/27/2016 3:08 PM

Yes i will look in to that area. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project. Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 197

02/27/2016 5:10 AM

Design and build a CNC machine that can also be adapted to be a 3-D printer? Most of the mechanics can be the same.....

In reply to #16

02/27/2016 3:11 PM

Wow. That's not a bad idea. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project. Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #25

02/27/2016 6:00 PM

Many thanks, I will follow your ideas with great interest.

If you build it, you will have something very useful.....

Best of luck.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 87
In reply to #16

02/29/2016 10:29 AM

I saw one of those on that American Makers show(1), it got knocked out because it wasn't living up to the accuracy and ease-of-use claims the designers were making. (they were saying it was MORE accurate than current home CNC systems, and MORE accurate than current home 3D printers, when logic would dictate that, being a 'jack of all trades,' you'd be sacrificing speed and accuracy to save on 'floorspace.')

Notes:

1. It's like Shark Tank for inventors, the panel are two engineers who test out the equipment, and one Venture Capitalist who uses their advice, and that of his focus groups to eliminate one product after each phase (testing, focus group, design consulting based on focus group feedback), finally offering the 'winner' about half the venture capital they asked for, in exchange for double the shares in the company they were offering, sometimes going into 'controlling stake' (51%)
( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Register to Reply
Power-User

02/27/2016 11:07 AM

You could do machine design of some product(innovation or modification) and run simulation(FEA) with some technical reports at the end of it and a feasibility in the market included perhaps. It's an A for me for sure.

In reply to #17

02/27/2016 3:12 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will let you know about the updates once I finalize my project.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 14

02/28/2016 12:00 AM

Do a detail feasibility study to use VA system using solar energy for AC application in UAE. 60 to 70 % of energy is used to air-condition buildings due to high ambient temperature there.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

02/28/2016 3:56 AM

That sounds like a good reason to investigate much better insulation, plus better designed windows/doors....

Some people here in Europe, design a wooden house and use hay bales as insulation, very cheap even when done properly and plastered over for the inside.

The result is thick walls, that I find very attractive!!!

Good insulation that is possibly also not a high cost, which is also available locally, that hopefully pays for itself over say 5 years or less (I have personally not much of a clue in the amortization stakes for where you are at least.)

But here you are, sorry, "we were", looking at around a 10 year payback, but as oil products have got cheaper recently, that will naturally be extended. I have not worked out by how much.

Here labour costs are very high....and form possibly around 75% of the total cost.

For us, the extra insulation on our house has meant that we have easily halved our heating/hot (inseparable) water costs, sorry not adjusted for the change in the value of money over the years, just that I am paying less than half of the costs we had between 1981-1983.

Also, since it was done, we have not needed to switch on our A/C in summer, not even once....since 2008!

If we have say -6°C outside (yesterday!) and I switch all heating off overnight, which I usually do, the rooms seem to still hover around 16-17°C, 10 hours later.......

We have (sadly) no solar, I am too old to start on that, though I have helped a few friends in the design stages over many years....

I do understand that our climate is quite different to yours of course. Reflecting surfaces on the outside of buildings are probably almost as equally as important as the insulation....

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 351

02/28/2016 1:27 PM

How about designing a high rise building cladding system that

a) Can survive the local environmental conditions (sun, wind, sand, UV, etc)

b) Is inexpensive to make and install and potentially environmentally friendly

and

c) Doesn't catch fire like those in Dubai.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (1); Andy Germany (3); Brave Sir Robin (1); Drew K (2); Fredski (1); IdeaSmith (1); jack of all trades (1); lyn (2); Massey (1); Mikerho (2); Mr. small (1); mrswamy (1); redfred (2); Rohit_1995 (10); SolarEagle (2); suresh sharma (1)

Previous in Forum: Atlas Humanoid   Next in Forum: Solar Beam Welding Using Fresnel Lens Focal Spot

Advertisement