CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: Home computer self starting twice or more per day.   Next in Forum: I Hate Microsoft with the White Hot Fury of a Thousand Suns!
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

Good Answers: 38

Webcam Mic Not Working Properly

02/26/2016 10:01 AM

Just bought a new Dell all-in-one desktop with Windows 10. I installed webcam software to record video, using the built in camera at the top edge of my monitor. In fact, I have installed several of the most popular webcam softwares. All have the same result, which leads me to believe that the software and/or software settings are not the problem.

When I play back video that I have recorded, the audio isn't working properly. If I have all speaker settings turned all the way up, there is a loud humming, or static sound, and my voice is barely audible. If I turn down speaker settings, I can't hear the voice at all. I have already upgraded all possible drivers, including Realtek HD Audio drivers. I have tried the "mic" settings on my computer. When it says to speak, it doesn't register my voice. Or rather the bar barely moves.

I read somewhere to disable enhancements. But there are no enhancements. So what's up with this thing? Am I missing a setting somewhere? I don't have any external mic or camera, just using the built-in ones.

Perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with Windows 10, and I don't know where to go. But I did explore all the "settings".

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: webcam
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1125

Re: Webcam Mic Not Working Properly

02/26/2016 10:41 AM

Are you sure there's a mic built in? Have you tried an external mic?

Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - Popular Science - Weaponology -

In reply to #1

02/26/2016 11:30 AM

Don't have an external mic to try. And yes there is a built in mic. It records, just very poorly. Maybe at like 5% with lots of noise, if speaker volume is up high.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 576

02/26/2016 10:58 AM

The fact that your voice is barely audible indicates that some sound is being recorded and it's not a software problem. It sounds like an electrical problem (high resistance connection) in the microphone circuit or a faulty microphone.

How does it work on video recorded elsewhere? (Try playing a Youtube video).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

02/26/2016 11:33 AM

Yes it plays prerecorded sound fine. Speakers are fine. You tube vids play fine. It just isn't recording sound well from the built in mic. Very faint with lots of electronic noise.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

02/26/2016 11:49 AM

The electronic noise is loud, as in a very high gain setting.

Register to Reply
Guru

02/26/2016 11:40 AM

There is a voice recognition set-up where you speak a phrase it gives you in order to calibrate it. It has a meter that shows your recording volume. When I speak, it only moves a tiny bit... like 5%, and then it gives a message that it can't hear me. But yet I run an audio software test, and it says everything is working fine.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

02/26/2016 12:31 PM

You could try this....

..."I went via Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices to get to the Sound panel.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Enhancements and made sure everything was un-checked.

I then selected Playback > Speakers > Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

I went to Recording > Microphone > Listen and ensured 'Listen to this device' was unchecked.

I went to Levels and ensured the Microphone level was at 100% and the Boost was at +10 db.

I went into Enhancements and ensured everything was un-checked.

I then into Advanced and un-checked 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device'

And finally I went into the Communications tab of the Sound panel, and changed 'When windows detects communications activity' to 'Do nothing'"..

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/microphone-volume-too-low/3241e6cd-5e01-4a47-a31c-f514b0eefe29?auth=1

In reply to #8

02/26/2016 12:56 PM

Thank you for that Solar... but I found that very same post, and already tried those steps. I did several hours of research before finally trying the question here in CR4.

I may have to try purchasing an external mic and see if that helps. Didn't really want extra wires and an extra mic sitting on my desk, but if no other solution is found soon...

What sucks is having just paid $1400 for this PC and having to work out problems.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Musician - Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Location: Moses Lake, WA, USA, Thulcandra - The Silent Planet (C.S. Lewis)
Good Answers: 174

02/26/2016 12:29 PM

Have you found exactly where the mic is? New computers often come with protective films covering certain areas. Maybe this is covering the mic port?

In reply to #7

02/26/2016 12:51 PM

That's a good point Mikerho. I thought of that, but had to leave for work before checking it out. It is not anywhere obvious. Perhaps one of you here happens to know where it is on a Dell all-in-one?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

02/26/2016 1:16 PM

There seems to be a difference of opinion on whether it has one or not....this could be it....the small hole on the edge of the monitor...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19505230

Canada - Member - If there is a way to screw someting up, there is someone to do so! Safety - Hazmat - New Member

Good Answers: 137

02/26/2016 12:59 PM

Time to call Dell... sounds like you have faulty hardware.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 235
In reply to #11

02/26/2016 1:20 PM

N o o o o o o o o o o o o o o !!!! Not the purgatory of customer help!

I'd rather deal with this guy.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81

02/26/2016 4:02 PM

If it's new, take it back to the retailer so they can fix it or replace it.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 196

02/27/2016 5:58 AM

I believe that your mic is faulty. You should take the laptop back.....

Or you could install Skype for free and use their online test (echo/sound) for setting up the video, your loudspeakers and the mic.

It even plays back YOUR voice, if the mic works.

If the mic appears to be defective, try buying a cheap USB video camera with mic off ebay, or borrow one. Use that for Skype testing.

They are useful to have around anyway I find. Probably less than $10 new on ebay.....or buy a better quality one with HD camera....even more useful! Plus a long USB cable.....

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - How's it going?

Good Answers: 3

03/01/2016 11:00 PM

Sometimes disabling and then re-enabling the mic fixes it.

Mine hangs every now and then. especially if i connect to an external mic/camera and then later disconnect.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Brave Sir Robin (1); Mikerho (1); Nigh (1); North of 60 (1); nvirciglio (1); Out of Box Experience (6); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (3)

Previous in Forum: Home computer self starting twice or more per day.   Next in Forum: I Hate Microsoft with the White Hot Fury of a Thousand Suns!

Advertisement